back to article Help! DYING Google Helpouts YELPS out the door

Google has killed its Helpouts service less than two years since it first launched, because the ad giant failed to generate big bucks from a community of tipsters seeking to make small change from the venture. As we noted at the time, Google was attempting to move in on the bottom-feeding "how to" publishing market and hoover …

1. jason 7

I was asked to be a Helpout person.

It was about two years ago. Had an interview, setup my Helpouts page etc. Was quite intrigued about the possibility. But then it suddenly went all 'happy clappy' as a lot of these type of web things do and as a Brit I just edged away from it. Some people just got a bit too over excited by it all.

Then a few months ago Google told all us Brit Helpouts folks we could no longer charge for our time...which was nice.

2. x 7

I've never heard of it. I suspect very few people have........hence the lack of use

1. James 100

This is the first I've heard of it, too - despite being a Google Apps admin, occasional G+ user and even having an acquaintance who works for them.

For an advertising company, they certainly didn't do much advertising of it!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

will be missed here

For the last couple of years extra income has funded my ski holidays, and it didn't take a whole lot of time. A lot of the time it was so trivial, it was close to free money

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe...

They should've had someone helping out with advertising it?

1. phil dude
      Joke

Re: Maybe...

Isn't that what AC#1 did?

"I won a FREE holiday from <INSERT CORPORATE TEAT>, so can you!!!!!!!!!!".

P.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Google products are like Fox sci fi series

Don't get invested in them when they're new, because they're probably going to go away before long!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like