back to article Hey, NUDE CELEBS! Apple adds SWEET 2FA to iMessage, Facetime

Apple has activated a two-factor authentication (2FA) system for Facetime and iMessage, extending the service to beyond iCloud accounts in a move that it hopes will help secure its communications platforms. The feature has become effective immediately, meaning any attempt to activate the services on a new device would first …

1. Naselus

Glad to see Apple boldly leading IT security into 1995.

1. SuccessCase

Would have been mildly funny if you picked a year when other companies were doing two factor authentication on all their services well, instead of plumbing for a year even before MS thought allowing JavaScript in email messages was OK, FTP was the system for transferring files across the Internet and even your local Web admin's password was very often just "password"

2. Buzzword

What's the second factor?

I only have one Apple product, an iPhone. What second factor am I supposed to use? An SMS sent to the same iPhone?

1. Mike Bell

Re: What's the second factor?

No. You can add any old SMS phone to your list of trusted devices. At runtime you can choose which device you'd like to use to receive a verification code.

1. Bradley

@Mike Bell So you must have on hand at all times a second phone, with an active number, just in the event you need to 2FA with Apple? Does not compute.

1. Mike Bell

@Bradley.

No, you don't.

If you wish to enable optional two step verification, you may use another phone or another Apple device to receive a verification code. If you don't have such a thing, don't enable it.

A printed recovery key may also be used if the verification device is unavailable.

But in any case, there are limited circumstances in which it swings into action, as described here. In the main, when making important security changes or setting up new devices with your Apple ID.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not 2FA

That's not two factor auth, that's two step auth....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not 2FA

Most (all I can think of) of what is touted as 2FA is the same, at least in terms of consumer level apps on phones, such as cloud storage etc. You can have it sent to another device (and only authorise a separate device) if you choose, but I can't think of a single service that actually insists on it. The logic being, I suppose, that your account can't be enabled on another phone elsewhere. If your phone was stolen the apps in question would presumably be enabled in any case, and if it has no access control set, that's your lookout.

4. returnmyjedi

I'm disappointed in Apple's marketing department for not giving it a cuddly name like they normally do for features standard on other platforms (this is the point where were I not bereft of wit and creativity I'd have put my own hilarious suggestion).

1. Mike Bell

Apple's sweet and fluffy nomenclature is called Two-Step Verification, described here.

5. A Non e-mouse Silver badge
    Mushroom

Pointless Picture

Surely this article is the perfect example of why mandatory pictures at the start of an article are silly.

1. Cliff

Re: Pointless Picture

Load of balls.

1. Robert Helpmann??
        Childcatcher

Re: Pointless Picture

Yes, but it ruins the joke if you have to explain it.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can't do that Dave

Will Cameron will be posting a serious face on twitter after hearing this news?

1. Teiwaz

Re: Can't do that Dave

Elections are coming, he'd be better served running with his 'benevolent Plantation owner' face rather than his 'displeased Prison Governer' one.

IMO he can get his chicken out and wave it about twiter for all I care.

7. Velv
    Facepalm

So how do these SMS notifications work if you use something like O2s Tu Go?

SMS gets diverted to your device of choice (tablet, laptop, desktop), defeating the point that the system relies on "something you have". Opens up the possibility of remote attack if someone compromises your telephone number.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like