back to article HIGH-RANNOSAURUS WRECKED: Druggie dinos tripped balls on psychedelics – boffins

Fossil hunters in Burma have discovered the earliest specimen of grass yet found – and say it’s laced with a hallucinogen. Ancient amber encasing early grass Ancient amber encasing early grass – no, not that kind The plant remains date from between 97 and 110 million years ago, and are encased in a chunk of amber. Around …

1. Mark 85
    Thumb Up

IT reference appreciated

the substance has been linked to odd behavior within medieval cults and during the Salem Witch trials, and the installation of Windows on seven-inch tablets.

Thanks for the laugh. Though part of me wonders if there is a link....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: IT reference appreciated

I would say that burning people as witches is slightly worse than installing Win on tablets. However, I would expect to be uttering Lucifer's name while using such a device, so yes there is a connection.

1. P. Lee
        Windows

Re: IT reference appreciated

>However, I would expect to be uttering Lucifer's name while using such a device,

No need for Lucifer's name, You'll find Bill's adds up to 666.

Allegedly.

2. x 7

does ergotamine have the same effect on reptilian egg production as it does on mammalian pregnancy? Its a very effective abortifacient, causing powerful muscle contractions. If it had a similar effect on the reptilian oviduct, forcing the expulsion of eggs before they were properly formed, you could have another cause of saurapod extinction

3. Kane
    Thumb Up

This reminds me...

"It seems like ergot has been involved with animals and humans almost forever, and now we know that this fungus literally dates back to the earliest evolution of grasses"

I remember watching a film in the late 90's that had a similar theme, almost like a docudrama with a narrator following the exploits of a pre homo sapiens/erectus ape wandering the plains of Africa (the premise being he was the last of his kind), and a particular scene that struck me was when the ape creature consumed a bunch of magic mushrooms; the narration went on to speculate that the consumption of halucinogenics could have been a precursor, trigger or catalyst for the evolution of primate minds, and that this was succesfully passed on to our ancestors and gave the species more of an edge in terms of changing the way an animal's thought processes works. I could never remember the name of the film, as it was one of those late night accidents that happens when changing channels.

I wonder how common it was/is for different species to consume halucinogens (by accident or on purpose), and how this has affected their development.

1. x 7

Re: This reminds me...

this maybe???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxKrskPyBuI

1. IainT

Which in turn was ripped off from Bill Hicks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEF7Di_nkRk

1. Mike VandeVelde
          Alien

Which in turn was ripped of from Terrence McKenna:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Wg5V23lqXk

2. Shane McCarrick

Probably Altered States.......?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altered_States

2. P. Lee

>when the ape creature consumed a bunch of magic mushrooms; the narration went on to speculate that the consumption of halucinogenics could have been a precursor, trigger or catalyst for the evolution of primate minds

Yeah! Because all evidence points to that! Cows also ate the fungus... but, no opposable thumbs!

I think this says more about the film producers than anything else.

3. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

I wonder how common it was/is for different species to consume halucinogens (by accident or on purpose), and how this has affected their development.

It is quite common for animals to consume fruit that has started to ferment. Drunken elephants are quite dangerous. I shudder to think how a drunken sauropod might act, much less several of them getting into the prehistoric equivalent of a bar fight. As far as other naturally occurring psychoactive drugs, just think of what it would have been like to have the munchies millions of years before the invention of Twinkies. Bummer!

1. KR Caddis

Bar fights? Nah, they were Vegans

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

>"synthesised (and accidentally ingested) in 1938"

Although Hofmann first synthesized it in 1938, he left it on the shelf for five years. The first time he ingested it was when he came to take a second look at it in 1943, leading to the notorious "Bicycle Day".

5. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Carlosaurus Castanedaus Lapidatus

which was synthesised (and accidentally ingested) in 1938 by Swiss chemist Albert Hofmann

Didn't he just absorb it through the skin though? Must have been quite the panic attack.

6. Christoph

I saw one theory that a ship's stores got contaminated with ergot and all the crew went crazy and jumped overboard, leaving the Marie Celeste to drift.

7. Mystic Megabyte
    Coat

Pterodactyl in the sky with diamonds

Not quite as catchy as the original :(

To deflect pedants, my dog is a carnivore but will eat grass occasionally for medicinal reasons.

mines the one with a Bonio in the pocket ==========>

1. Martin Budden Silver badge

Re: Pterodactyl in the sky with diamonds

Is that a Bonio in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me?

8. Stratman

" Other side effects include gangrene leading to the loss of fingers and toes, or in serious cases whole arms and legs."

And so the mystery of why so many fossilised arms and legs are found in isolation has been solved.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon