back to article Microsoft slurps Apple-happy, Google-tastic Sunrise calendar firm

Microsoft’s personal productivity apps acquisition spree continues, the latest slurp being that of Sunrise, a provider of calendar apps for Mac, iOS and Android. Sunrise accounts Sunrise links to multiple calendars and cloud apps The Sunrise app does not maintain a calendar of its own, but provides an aggregated view of …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

E & E & E ?

Embrace : a.k.a Buy Company because they see a threat to the Big 'E'.

Extinguish : retire product claiming to use it in the one and only Big 'E'.

Exchange/Outlook : The only bit of software you want (Apart from Office 365)

SOP really.

We shall have to wait and see if any of this tech ever appears again.

1. Gannon (J.) Dick

Re: E & E & E ?

How can you be in two places at once when you're not anywhere at all ?

Actually I think the Firesign Theater ought to sue.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Crazy shit

This is simply a case of buying a market. It's not as though MS hasn't got one or two teams of developers who could lash something like this up over a lunch break.

Unfortunately they also have several layers of managers who would ensure that the process will take several years.

This is an example of either nimble footedness from the beast or going back to their roots of buying a product before it completely takes over the world and making something of it.

My money? It's not another Excel.

1. P. Lee

Re: Crazy shit

Buying a company saves them the embarrassment of writing an android app.

MS need to get an exchange client out there before everyone moves to Google or plain imaps.

If you've got android but no exchange client, you won't be using Exchange with that phone so you might start looking elsewhere for a mail server - maybe just move the whole lot to Google.

You could enable imap on Exchange, but that would be embarrassing for MS' proprietary protocols and people still might just switch mail servers. Gotta build that "ecosystem."

Just buying the market... though a slight withering of support for other systems wouldn't be a surprise.

3. Bassey

Quite good news

I keep trying out Sunrise. It looks gorgeous and it is very good at presenting lots of information on a small screen. However, I also remove it within a few days. Some of the usability is awful - particularly around setting reminders and so on. A bit of input from a new development team might be just what it needs - as they as they don't let the MS GUI team anywhere near it.

4. Tim 11

same old Microsoft

Buy 'em up; shut 'em down. No news here

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I prefer Scott Adams' startup

The idea behind the startup that Scott Adams is involved in (Calendartree) is IMHO more interesting.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like