back to article NO BRAIN needed to use Samsung's next flagship mobe

Apple fanbois are often accused of ignoring all logic when purchasing iPhones. Samsung looks to be heading down the same path, as it has declared its next top-end smartphone “will be intelligent and do all the thinking for users.” Samsung's ambitions aren't to lobotomise users in all phases of a smartphone's operations. But …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If you buy it do you own it? ...or... Will the device start overlaying Ads over the photos?

I learned an interesting fact about South Korean tech this week namely "Rent To Own" - You don't own your Samsung or LG device unless you agree to watch Ads and have your habits slurped!

So will the device start overlaying Ads onto my photos? Sorry to be cynical, but I own multiple Samsung devices, and the bullshit they peddled this week in playing games with privacy wording, has wore out my goodwill for this brand...

I was about to buy a Samsung smartphone this week but opted instead for another brand. Maybe the UX will be the same, but helping Samsung build a tether to advertisers on all its platforms is not something I'm willing to help with...

After all do I own the Smartphone, Tablet, Smart TV, or do I really just 'rent to own' it, with the rest of the payment due in the form watching ads and having my data slurped...

1. Khaptain Silver badge
      Big Brother

Re: Pwned

Today it is your telephone, tommorrow your sperm. Your children will be pwned before they are even born.

"It is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself."

1. Jedit Silver badge
        Devil

"Today it is your telephone, tommorrow your sperm"

So if I don't pay to retain my sperm, they'll come and take it from me? Better send your nubile Korean ladies, Samsung - you're not getting a penny from me!

2. P. Lee

Re: If you buy it do you own it? ...or... Will the device start overlaying Ads over the photos?

> So will the device start overlaying Ads onto my photos?

Hopefully the TV backlash will steer them away from that.

>do I really just 'rent to own'

Own? You never own it, you just pay for privilege of holding the hardware for them. :)

Give me a mobile with decent hardware, local maps (with rsync to update them), Firefox browser, VLC and a decent imap mail client. I'd be happy to run Android as an app, or indeed, two versions of android as apps. One can be google's, one can be rooted.

With the new ARM core design, I'd like a hypervisor please! Failing that, (and given that the screen and battery are the expensive bits) put two phones in one case, with two screens, one e-ink, one normal and give me a hardware button to switch screens around. With ARM's on-board ethernet, you could have a little network running on the phone. Just do something creative! How about an expansion pack to go on the back of the phone which adds more CPUs - maybe even an intel CPU which can talk to all the peripherals over an internal network. I don't know why you'd want that, but maybe it would encourage more Linux development for phones.

1. Argh

Re: If you buy it do you own it? ...or... Will the device start overlaying Ads over the photos?

Here maps (from Nokia) works well for offline maps on Android. I haven't looked to see if the maps can be synced with rsync though. Maybe, if you're rooted. Obviously Firefox and VLC are already available. If you don't log in to a Google account for anything, you can be quite Google free if that's your thing. It's convenient to have an app store of some kind though. Perhaps install Amazon?

A lot of phones have dual booting options available as well, if you look on sites such as XDA-Developers. Invalidates the warranty, I'd expect (some people disagree about this saying EU law allows it).

I think hypervisors will become popular in time, particularly as Android phones are now starting to ship with 3GB of memory.

2. Cynic_999

Yes, maybe they could make room for all the new stuff by removing the ability to make and receive telephone calls that nobody seems interested in any more.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If you bought another Android device, you still have the biggest ad pusher in the world on your phone!

2. xperroni
    Paris Hilton

Mobile users trailing behind web surfers?

By the effectiveness of those "click here to claim the prize you totally did win for real, this is not a trap at all" ads, I'd say the later have been brain-free for many years now.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

...users will appreciate the chance to disengage their brains when taking photos...

Why, it's been like this since the invention of the selfie stick.

2. Tom 38

Re: Mobile users trailing behind web surfers?

If you actually hit the monkey though, you win a prize.

3. Tony W

So?

So it will be an automatic camera. How many people do anything other than point and click anyway?

By the way, the famous S5 camera gives very nice photos in bright sunshine but is dreadful in dim light. To adequately illuminate all those pixels often takes an exposure so long that camera shake blur makes the picture far fuzzier than on my old phone that had 1/3 of the "resolution".

1. nematoad

Re: So?

"the many-megapixel cameras..."

Now I may be wrong here but is the fact that a camera has a lot of pixels less important than the size of the detector?

Given the size of a smart phone against that of a DSLR which one will have the larger detector?

My vote is for the DSLR, so why do DSLR owners "... occasionally sigh in frustration when they see its output." Perhaps because they don't know how to get the best out of their DSLR?

I may be biased as an owner of a DSLR but not a smart phone but I can see no reason why a camera in a smart phone should be able to out-perform a dedicated DSLR camera, if the owners have a comparable skill in using them.

1. Richard Taylor 2

Well it's a compromise. Too small a sensor and the noise reduces quality. To low a resolution and you don't capture enough information.

Many DSLRs have bigger sensors than their compact (or mobile) equivalent, and for an equivalent 'dpi' with a similar capture technology they will give better results.

But then marketing folkx had taught the great unwashed that resolution is all that ever matters.

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

>By the way, the famous S5 camera gives very nice photos in bright sunshine but is dreadful in dim light.

Most reviews - including dpreview.com's - suggest the S5 camera isn't too bad in low light... but that there is a knack to getting reasonable low light pictures from it.

Samsung might be communicating to its existing user-base that the S6 will not ask them to spend as long in funny menus.

An experienced human photographer will decide what 'human/aesthetic content'* in the scene is the most important to them, and make their compromise accordingly (e.g, trade subject motion blur for lower noise, or trade depth of field for a lower shutter speed). Though a camera will never know what in the scene the photographer want to capture, it can take a fair guess that most of the time a photographer wants human faces to be in focus, and for sunsets to look red and orange. These are normally called 'scene modes', and the next logical step is to have the scene mode selected automatically- Panasonic's compact cameras have an 'Intelligent Auto' mode that is usually well reviewed.

It was good to see the 'Megapixel race' peter out a few years ago, and the rise of 'premium compact' cameras - For the same reason many people choose a DSLR over a Medium Format camera (size), I prefer to carry a good compact to a DSLR. You have to choose your own compromises.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There are good reasons why SLR cameras have big heavy expensive glass lenses.

1. cambsukguy

from http://connect.dpreview.com/post/5533410947/smartphones-versus-dslr-versus-film?page=3

> Unsure of how to judge the noisy, detailed DSLRs against smoother, less-detailed phones, we asked 15 non-photographers to do it for us. They ranked the iPhone, Nokia, film and Canon EOS 10D from best to worst, without knowing which was which. The Nokia emerged as the popular favourite, but more striking was how much people disagreed. We got every possible ranking, based around peoples' preferences for smoothness versus detail. People who liked the Nokia picture also tended to like the iPhone, while people who liked the 10D also tended to like the film. It seems that we're all either smooth people, or noisy people.

That's with a $1700 lens attached to ensure even better DSLR pictures.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

It would be interesting to perform a similar study, but after the DSLR images had been messed around with in post-processing.

5. Teiwaz

That's damn convenient actually...

Because after the recent revelations...

When I buy a Samsung anything, it'll be shortly after i've had my brain removed on the NHs.

6. Captain DaFt

Who's the boss of you?

The problem with the phone doing the thinking for you is that, it's not really the phone is it?

It's the company you get the phone from doing the thinking for you via proxy.

And whose best interests do you think they're looking out for?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If you don't like the stock software then put something else on it. There will be a Cyanogenmod out pretty quickly.

Google will still get to suck your eyes out though, if you put their stuff on. If you don't: no Play store (boo hoo)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like