back to article 'Kickass' Somali pirates get their asses kicked by Japanese ass-kickers

KickassTorrents clearly thought Somalia would be a good place to set up shop, given the ungovernable country's long association with pirates. But just two months after the hugely popular file-sharing site shifted from its kickass.to address to kickass.so, the team has had to go back to its previous domain – after kickass.so …

1. Ketlan
    Thumb Up

Great.

That's saved me having to search around for it. Thanks.

2. thexfile

It's kickass.to now.

1. Robin

I've always used kat.ph, since I first discovered it on that domain. Seems to always redirect to the domaine-du-jour.

2. Lord Lien

"ACCESS TO THE WEBSITES LISTED ON THIS PAGE HAS BEEN BLOCKED PURSUANT TO ORDERS OF THE HIGH COURT" The many joys of having BT as an ISP..... wonder how you get around that ;) lol

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: "ACCESS TO THE WEBSITES LISTED ON THIS PAGE

Only applies to the four biggest ISPs; BT, TalkTalk, Sky and Virgin Media.

Use a small obscure one and you can browse anything to your hearts content, as long as it's not on the IWF's 'pedo' blacklist that is.

I really wouldn't want to see the RIAA use the IWF as a means to combat copyright infringement as well as pedophilia though, just because they have approx 98% ISP coverage throughout the UK.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Censorship is becoming very common in recent years

Next thing you know the Chinese will say pot, kettle, black when being criticized. Oh wait.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Virgin Media

has lifted its block to TPB.se lately..

Dunno why but it has...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Virgin Media

"has lifted its block to TPB.se lately.."

Nope - TPB has moved to a large content caching network to evade the blocks! You can't block it without potentially blocking thousands of other sites...

2. mr--jay

Re: Virgin Media

I'd say it's so they can watch your activity, like the comment above suggests...but now that comment, it's gone, LoL

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

meanwhile

pirating (not to mention terrorism and other filthy, unspeakable and censorable activities) go on.

1. Ralph B

Re: meanwhile

Meanwhile, in the real world, a fall of snow caused our satelite DVR to screw up the wife's recording of Broadchurch S02E04, which was fixed by a google for the bittorrent of it (via kickass.to, AFAIR.) In 2 minutes we could start watching. Very convenient, I thought, and the first time I've used BT in months. (Specially since NetFlix arrived.)

Similarly, I managed to miss the first 2 episodes of Charlie Brooker's Weekly Wipe, so watched them both via YouTube.

I'm in Europe so iPlayer (and ITV's equivalent) is forbidden to me. We do actually have BBC and ITV channels available via our cable TV provider, but have no DVR functionality configured for it.

So, am I a pirate? Or a terrorist?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: meanwhile

You're doubly ripe for lawyers, so both.

6. Jimboom

And so the game of whack-a-mole continues

Seriously though, I can go to google, type in kickass proxy and find at least a handful of working, usable links. At what point do they step back, take a look at all the expense, time and effort it takes to block these sites, vs the cost of media delivery companies just giving people what they want, when they want it.

Iplayer and even 4oD allow you to download some programs to your device for offline viewing, I don't see why all tv cannot be like this for a nominal fee, something akin to ohh, I don't know, the tv license fee we all pay?

I'll get me coat, it's the one with that book written by Abbie Hoffman in the pocket.

7. larokus

"But it just goes to show: things online are not always as they appear in the real world"

Well that really puts a damper on my plan to have 3 blondes at once

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "But it just goes to show: things online are not always as they appear in the real world"

Girl, boy and afghan hound?

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Nah, Duvel, Brigand and Grimbergen.

8. Johndoe888
    Pirate

If Bittorrent had existed years ago, then such things as the missing Dr Who episodes would never have been lost !

9. Chozo
    Coat

Ninja Vs Pirate, the Somali Smackdown

Arrgh I'll be getting me coat

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

xxxProxy.xxx

If only someone had set up proxies for this sort of occasion.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like