back to article UK boffins DOUBLE distance of fiber data: London to New York WITHOUT a repeater

Researchers at University College London say they have found a way to dramatically increase the distance data can be sent intact over ordinary fiber optic cables – by partially working around the Kerr Effect. A phenomenon discovered by Scottish physicist John Kerr in 1875 limits the distance coherent data can travel. The …

1. William Donelson

Awesome!

Amazing work!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Amazing work!"

I'd agree. But I'd have liked it if the Reg article had actually done more to explain how they've done it, in terms that the IT-savvy layman can understand.

1. JDX Gold badge

That would rely on El Reg having someone who can understand this stuff :)

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"terms that the IT-savvy layman can understand"

They put a magic box in front of the receiver that makes the signal clearer.

I believe the box was black.

1. Little Mouse
          Boffin

"terms that the IT-savvy layman can understand"

I thought I was doing OK till I got to the diagram.

I tried following it, but ended up building an Interocitor by mistake.

2. James Micallef Silver badge
      Pint

Three cheers for boffins!!

>>

2. James 51
    Pirate

BT might get round to installing fibre to home around 2200 now with tech like this to spur them on.

1. itzman

Re: BT might get round to installing fibre to home

More likely they could use the technology to get even MORE from already installed copper..

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

How many homes are 3,500 miles from the nearest exchange?

The challenge in last mile networks isn't technical, it's commercial. How do you justify spending £2k+ per installation for a service people want to pay £25 a month for? It's a problem that's not unique to BT - no telco has solved it yet.

3. bouncingwilf1

Does this mean less points of attack for poor old NSA/GCHQ?

1. Gordon 10

Doubt it - logistically the favoured attack points would always be the end points anyway. The capabilities of USS Jimmy Carter not withstanding.

4. kbb

Testing

I always wonder how they test these things. Do they happen to have a long enough piece of fibre spare that they give one end to an intern to send off on a long walk?

1. Lee D Silver badge

Re: Testing

When you buy fibre, does it come as an 80km long parcel?

No, it comes wrapped up in a coil.

Put coil on floor. Grab both ends. Plug into your equipment half-inch away from each other. Voila! Test circuit.

Hence why a lot of these kinds of things don't work (or are severely reduced) once they are deployed in the real world.

That said, it's an interesting technique and if you think of the amount of SFP in the average business, getting the same speed over twice the distance may eventually equate to twice the speed over the same distance. This is the sort of stuff that ends up being in 100Gb protocols and you never know about it.

1. Cliff

About time someone taught that showoff Kerr a lesson.

Actually the opposite - fuck me the Victorians were good - it's taken 140 years to find a workaround for a physics problem he spotted before my great great grandfather was born. I'll bet Kerr could have programmed the video.

2. BreeBree

Having worked for a Very large Fiber Optic Provider. Yes it does come in 80Km and more lengths.. to use USA measurements, the spools to be installed for the contract are hooked up together and yes it goes thru the WHOLE thing, to test all the fiber and find out if any is bad, so all that would happen in deployment would happen in the factory even when testing 3500MILES!! of single mode cable running 256 channels at 40+gig/sec per channel with NO repeaters. This has been done and are installed in the world now so this is old news that it can be done.

Now this might be a better way or new to the world, but going across the pond is old hat for some companies that use NO repeaters, I know this was being done 8+year ago, as I was on the team that tested it and help deploy it.

Note for Fiber its not like copper wire , it doesn't radiate EMF like a coil or wire does when voltage/current flows. the problem is noise and attenuation of the light itself from impurities. Better cable now and better head end electronics have made repeaters a non issue. so even in lab/factory if you put one station next to another and run it thru all the fiber its just like being out in the installation.

1. JeffyPoooh
          Pint

@BB "...going across the pond is old hat for some companies that use NO repeaters, I know this was being done 8+year ago, as I was on the team that tested it and help deploy it."

Don't those "no repeater" fibers actually use erbium-doped fiber amplifiers hidden in the cable?

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
        Joke

"When you buy fibre, does it come as an 80km long parcel?"

I ordered 25Km of fibre last year from Amazon on next day delivery. I only got 20Km because CityLink went bust before they finished delivering it.

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Put coil on floor. Grab both ends. Plug into your equipment half-inch away from each other. Voila! Test circuit.

Hence why a lot of these kinds of things don't work (or are severely reduced) once they are deployed in the real world."

Only for PoC testing. No-one's going to deploy stuff like this without field testing. It's pretty expensive to wind it all back if it doesn't work. There's plenty of unlit fibre around the world to test stuff properly.

5. Ragequit
    Joke

Cool

Cool. Now if they could only do the reverse. That is reduce the effective range but increase the bandwidth/channels. Then maybe cable companies would offer higher speeds... oh wait.. no they'd probably just put twice as many households on a single fiber run. Nvm.

Seriously though I understand how having to use repeaters for anything can be a pain for a number of reasons. I imagine especially so for underwater cables.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Cool

"That is reduce the effective range but increase the bandwidth/channels"

That's a trivial engineering problem. You don't even need to reduce the effective transmission distance.

What's not trivial is the commercial problem of justifying the capital outlay to upgrade an existing network in a market where price is declining.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Establishment he say "Inappropriate use of taxpayer money"

A government spokesperson said today "If there aren't any repeaters, how can our trustworthy security forces tap the fibres for our safety? It's this type of so-called research that aids terrorists, child-snatchers, and ICDJs*

Oh, I wish that wasn't so plausible a response.

* - Invented Crime Du Jour

7. Dave Bell

That awkward memory moment.

It wasn't until somebody mentioned the Septics that I recalled 80km was 50 miles, near enough.

In my distant youth I measured a field in Chains and Links.

And I can remember MAFF, as it was then, specifying ridiculous precision for land measurement when they introduced a new EU scheme.

Now I can get a laser rangefinder for under a hundred quid. I hope somebody remembers the difference between accuracy and precision: I am not sure the guy writing the Amazon description knows that.

1. Gartal

Re: That awkward memory moment.

Ok, I'll bite. what is the difference between accuracy and precision? Is it like the difference between tolerance and limit?

1. Little Mouse

Re: That awkward memory moment.

As an example - There's no sense being precise to five decimal places if the accuracy of your figures means you have a +-50% margin of error. See?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This would be big if it can also be applied to copper

The article says at the end they're going to look into this next, but keeping a coherent signal longer would make G.fast deployments much less expensive if it could double the distance for a target data rate.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: This would be big if it can also be applied to copper

If it could double the distance then it might make g.fast almost practical, but they're hard up against the shannon limits so I doubt they'll get much improvement.

cpe>

Extended Port Status

=================

Bme: 1 Port: 1

Downstream line rate: 85760 kbps

Upstream line rate: 21600 kbps

Downstream attainable payload rate: 91948 kbps

Downstream attainable line rate: 103628 kbps

[snippage]

Tx total power -8.0 dbm

FE Tx total power 12.6 dbm

VDSL Estimated Loop Length : 536 ft

G.Hs Estimated Near End Loop Length : 4495 ft

G.Hs Estimated Far End Loop Length :0 ft

I can almost spit on the cabinet - it's about 30 metres away, but across the road.

Having 160 metres of cable run isn't at all unusual for a short line-of-sight to the cabinet, but bear in mind that some houses may end up with 500 metre runs and G.fast will be lucky if it can get to 100m in real-world installs without speed falling below 100MB/s

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Shannon is only relevant if the SNR remains constant. As I read it, this technique reduces the signal distortion which would reduce the noise, effectively raising the SNR.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"this technique reduces the signal distortion which would reduce the noise, effectively raising the SNR."

SNR remains the same. What changes is the threshold for effective signal discrimination. This doesn't solve the crosstalk problem however, so I'm not sure this can be applied effectively to a typical copper distriution network. It solves the wrong problem.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The issue with copper is less about coherence and more about crosstalk. This development is useful for a single bearer considered in isolation - which fibre is due to the medium - but with multiple unshielded bi-directional copper bearers the problem is different.

9. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Go

Note the part about *existing* fibre, not tricky stuff with FO ampliers.

There's a lot of that in the ground/ocean already and replacing a bunch of repeaters with basically a short length of passive fibre (if you can't pull one of them through into the chamber and join them directly) is going to save some people a very great deal of money.

1. JeffyPoooh
      Pint

Re: Note the part about *existing* fibre, not tricky stuff with FO ampliers.

They're going to haul up repeaters from the depths and replace them with six feet of fibre?

Hmmm... Maybe I suppose.

10. Jan 0 Silver badge
    Boffin

Kerr

I have a vague memory of using* or maybe seeing a demonstration of the use of Kerr Cells to measure the speed of light when Iwas a sixth former. (So long ago that it wasn't clear that the 'speed of light' was a constant regardless of frequency.)

*Well, we did alll kinds of things in school science labs back then that today's students will only see as a video, if they're lucky.

1. kiwimuso

Re: Kerr

Like dissecting a live (but anaesthetized) frog?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon