back to article Qinetiq rolls out 'third party' SDK for killer robot lines

Killer robots are a bit like iPhones - tons of hype, but not that many units actually sold. Many people reckon that this is because these amazing, potentially multifunction devices' potential is not fully exploited. And that, of course, is because of the lack of a robust developer community. Armed, yet human-controlled At …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. David Adams
    Thumb Up

Cool....

....Can't wait for someone to play Frogger with this badboy!!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/06/16/hack_vac/

Though R-Type might be a more suitable game d:)

2. David Harper

Only one problem

I bet the SDK only works on bloody Windows though.

Once again, those of us who aspire to total world domination through Linux are cruelly thwarted.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Brings back memories

Does anyone else remember a "C-Robots" game from the late eighties where you had to programme a simulated killer robot in C before sending it into battle against other robots written by your opponents? Spent a lot of time devising strategies to create the ultimate killer robot in that.

That was of course a simulated robot though. You wouldn't want to buy an expensive bit of kit, no matter how sexy, only to blow it up with you own missile following a division by zero...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

Is there a developer discount on the hardware?

and will people mind if I let it loose in the garden with cat recognition software installed.

The vulture 'cos that's what the cats will look like.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Heart

Can I have..

a 30 day unrestricted demo of the kit? Sure I can kock up a bit of code.

10 Goto new target "Bargain Booze"

20 locate chav

30 Aim

40 Fire

50 Go to 10.

Coooollll

6. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

But...

"Although a disruptor is potentially deadly against humans close up, it is single shot and short range."

Don't you know that the Disruptor was a Klingon weapon. Humans (I think that includes the 'Mericans) use a Phaser.

Mine's the red one. Oh are we going down to the surface? Oh good.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Brings back memories

It's a fairly common language learning exercise. Seems most common to OOP languages.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

I wondered what happened to BigTrak!!!

That is all.

9. Solomon Grundy

Lego

I've been using the Lego SDK to program my killer robots for years. It works great, the only problem is that the robot keeps melting under heat from the rifle so I've created a mod to turn them into Martyr-Bots that simply blow up when they get close to the target.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

How many times...

QinetiQ...not Qinetiq. I know it is a stupid name, but you could at least get it right.

11. Secretgeek
    Flame

@AC Big Trak

I was so jealous of my of my cousins Big Trak I programmed it to drive from his bedroom and into the stairwell...

Crash and burn.

12. Steven Raith
    Flame

"At last, hardware that could run a *real* killer app"

I nearly dropped my late night coffee when I read that caption for the picture of the robot - genius.

I do like the concept of programming my own personal ED-209 [equally befuddled by stairs when carrying a heavy duty payload?] but I think I'd mount it up beside red light cameras in London and get it to target cyclists and scooter riders who fly through pedestrian crossings.

I think a minigun should suffice, with an ejector setup that rotates, allowing it to make it rain hot brass over a ten foot radius, while the hot lead is aimed on the target. Maybe make it subsonic .22 calibre to reduce the noise and damage to the road.

And it would fire continously on the target for thirty seconds. For nothing more than my own entertainment.

*goes off to find a 'teach yourself C in a day' book*

Steven R

13. ian
    Alert

Ammo?

So is Qinetic providing free/discounted hardware for alpha testing? I want one with 7.62mm machine gun and grenade launcher. Oh, and sufficient ammunition to properly test my code.

How can we do development without the proper tools? BTW, is there a range where my lovely can strut it's stuff?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Re: Is there a developer discount on the hardware?

AC wrote: "and will people mind if I let it loose in the garden with cat recognition software installed.The vulture 'cos that's what the cats will look like."

I suspect that the ExtermaFeline-209 (EF-209) mod would be the most popular, (I'd buy one!). And we've already had mention of the next most popular - ExtermaChav-209 (EC-209) - (TV guided missiles with Burberry recognition subroutines on that one perhaps? And guns with sniffers for cheap cider and Bucky.)

I'll take one of each, but I'd also like the service pack on the EC-209 that seeks out incompetent and anti-social bar-b-q's and terminates them.

Get the price right and maybe there's a chance that the UK taxpayer will get back some of the money wasted on the Qinetiq sell-out, sorry "sell off" ... Freudian slip there!

Ah well, back to work...

15. Chris G
    Black Helicopters

woof

I like cats! I have always been partial to pussies. But if this is available with Sound Oriented Dog Destruction Over Gardens (SODDOG) I will buy it . Where I live I have the constant barking of dogs that have been left alone all day while the owner is out, then when the apparently dog loving owner comes home the idiot asks it to `speak´. That is, the owner asks the dog to speak not the other way round, I think.

Could run the same type of software on a black helicopter, that would be a laugh!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like