back to article Obama pinches VMware's CIO for same gig at White House

VMware's senior veep and CIO Tony Scott has been made an offer he couldn't refuse: to take the latter job in the US Government. The White House announced the appointment Thursday, with the canned statement saying he's the right person to meet the gig's goals of "driving value in Federal IT investments ... delivering world- …

1. CheesyTheClown

Goody... yet another guy with a tie who is probably hopeless.

Last week alone I met 50 CIOs of companies ranging from baby sized to multinational conglomerate. One thing they all had in common. They were CxO ready! This week, I had lunch with the CIO of one of biggest, best funded government entities in one of the world's richest countries.

Want to know what CIOs have in common? They generally don't know anything about technology. If you doubt me, take a look at vSphere 6. It's an excellent example that VMware doesn't even have a sound understanding of what needs to be done in a data center. It's like they read in the news that this was hot and that was hot and they just slapped together a bunch of products to sell for as much as they could as fast as they could. They don't look like they spent any time at all asking the one simple question which was "How can we decrease the total cost of ownership of a data center and improve business agility for our customers?" Instead, they just slapped out a crap load of messy products and called them a suite and are hoping no one notices.

If the CIO of VMware didn't even take the time to get people to plan a strategy to optimize VMware's business, who the hell would want him in the White House?

He's been at VMware long enough that he could have taken the time to properly plan and deploy a VMware based cloud and build a series of massive data centers based on it, then he could have worked with the development side to make the VMware offering all it needs to be for themselves as the largest consumer of the tech. Then they could productise an actual proven solution.

Oh... wait, why do that.. Microsoft is doing that and look how badly they failed.... as they're chewing away at VMware's profits. haha

1. Ian Michael Gumby

CIOs are not technologists.

CIO are management types who manage the bottom line and try to make rational decisions on tech that they don't really understand.

Having said that... I do happen to know some very good CIOs who actually do get it. While they are so many years and steps away from getting their hands deep in the code, they are still techies at heart.

But those are the types of CIOs that would say no thanks to Obama who's gone through 3 CIOs while in office and still hasn't launched a decent tech program. Can you say Obamacare's Healthcare.gov roll out.

WHAT A JOKE!!!

2. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

"Want to know what CIOs have in common? They generally don't know anything about technology. If you doubt me, take a look at vSphere 6. It's an excellent example that VMware doesn't even have a sound understanding of what needs to be done in a data center. "

You're an idiot. On two fronts. The first: vSphere 6 is actually damned fine software. Yes, being forced to use a flash UI sucks ass. No, it's not the end of the world, and yes the software itself is spiffy and awesome.

But the more important proof of your toolhood is that you do not grok the delta between CIO and CTO. The CIO is someone who implements technologies. Or rather, he leads teams of people who implement the technologies he chooses.

Now the CTO, on the other hand, is the guy who designs the technologies sold by a company. If there's someone upon whom you should be casting aspersions for your irrational dislike of vSphere 6, it's not the CxO with the "I" in the middle, but rather the fellow swapping the "x" for a "T".

2. Dan Paul

Does Tony understand that.....

Obama is just a lame duck president and he will be gone in 2016. The fact he would jump from VMware to the Cabinet makes me think something else is going on.

Funny thing but "appointees" from the prior administration are usually the first ones to go in the new administration. Not as much of a "golden parachute" in the government versus the private sector, for sure.

Obama's record of successful IT projects and CIO's, is to be kind; less than stellar.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like