back to article Rubbermaid bot master sentenced to 41 months

A US-based hacker has been sentenced to 41 months in jail for breaking into corporate computers in Europe and making them part of a money-generating botnet. Robert Matthew Bentley, 21, of Panama City, Florida, was also ordered to perform three years of supervised release once his prison time is over and to pay $65,000 in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Article title

I read this hoping for a story about some bizarre latex-cyborg brothel ring...

2. Anonymous John

I for one

welcome our new Rubber overbotmaster.

3. Steve Lupton

Crazy sentence...

Bet you he would have got less time if he had stolen a car and killed someone in a hit-and-run whilst intoxicated...

4. Jack Evans
    Alert

Prison Bitch

I am sure He will be part of a 'bizarre latex-cyborg brothel ring' in prison

5. PT

Resttution?

What a lame, ineffectual penalty. Only 44 months and $65,000 restitution? It's a good thing for him he didn't download a picture of a 15 year old girl with her top off.

6. Steven Raith
    Alert

Sarah Bee

Is what I was expecting this article to be about - our feared Moderatrix had been nicked for sending spam.

Steven R

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Damages

What's the $150,000 damages *really* include besides some made up imaginary "we could have lost this much business" nonsense, really?

8. Steve Roper
    Dead Vulture

Re: Crazy sentence

You're right, that is a crazy sentence. As in FAR too lenient. What SHOULD have happened to this little bastard is...

Ch-Click... HOCK! OOOOOORRRRRRAAAAAAYYYY!!!

The dead bird because all botnet spammers should end up looking like that...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Rubbermaid?

If they have a subsidiary called Rubbermaid Solutions --- I suppose I might stretch a point abd suspend my poicy of never dealing with a company with the word 'solutions' in the name.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Eh?

"A US-based hacker has been sentenced to 41 months in jail for breaking into corporate computers in Europe and making them part of a money-generating botnet..."

Well, that's good. Breaking into corporate computers and making them part of a money-LOSING botnet would just have been embarrassing.

11. TeeCee Gold badge
    Joke

"Operation bot roast"?

I thought that was how the prefects toasted crumpets at the better educational establishments.

12. stranger on the road
    Gates Horns

corporate computers?

for real? if so then the guy is _NOT_ guilty, sue the IT department of the company that left it's computers unprotected.

There is a difference between home/private computers being infect and "corporate" computers being infected!. At home the computer is being used by none computer professionals*, at a corporate office they have highly trained _computer_ professionals to look after their computers.

* reminder, yes none computer professionals do exist. If everyone was a computer professional then there will no longer be any need for us.

Devil Bill because he should have shipped Windows with all ports closed by default, and to let the "corporate computer professionals" open the ones they need.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Gut him like a fish!

<--- Man gutting botnet herder as if t'were fish.

14. Martin
    Flame

@stranger on the road

So, by your logic; if somebody robs a bank, the bank robber is not guilty, but the bank is for not getting better security??

15. Wize

@stranger on the road

"for real? if so then the guy is _NOT_ guilty, sue the IT department of the company that left it's computers unprotected."

I compare it to a company left a window open a crack and a burglar entering via it.

Burglar still in the wrong and guilty.

Insurance company wouldn't pay up as they failed to secure their premisses as per their insurance agreement.

And the person who left it open would get a telling off.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

@Steven Raith

Feared...Mz. Bee should be lurved. I, for one, welcome being moderatrixed.

And, JonB...get 'em up both sides and down the middle and then turn 'em inside out.

'Cos there's no moderatrix picture :-(

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like