back to article Sony Pictures claims 'Nork mega-hack attack' cost it just $15 million

The financial cost of the hacking attack that plagued Sony Pictures Entertainment last year was just a drop in the bucket compared to the movie studio's revenues for the quarter, the Japanese giant has said. In its third-quarter earnings forecast for the three months ending on December 31, Sony pegged the price of the security …

1. John Tserkezis

Sure losses can be measured in monetary terms...

But getting caught with your pants down like that is worth so much more. ;-)

1. Mark 85

Re: Sure losses can be measured in monetary terms...

Or...

Getting hacked - $

Getting all your data taken - $$

Getting all your servers wiped - $$$

Getting caught with your pants down -- priceless.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fact or White house fiction

"US authorities, meanwhile, insist that the attack was an organized operation by the government of North Korea, allegedly in retaliation for the Nork-baiting James Franco and Seth Rogan vehicle The Interview."

I can understand the Norks hacking the FBI headquarters, Langley or the Pentagon, now that would make sense but hacking Sony...cmon.. either this is not the whole story or it was just media promotion for a shitty movie.

1. Ole Juul

Re: Fact or White house fiction

The White House is peddling their fiction and Sony is back-peddling.

2. P. Lee

>I can understand the Norks hacking the FBI headquarters, Langley or the Pentagon, now that would make sense but hacking Sony...cmon..

'Tis true I tell you. They have WMD's too!

3. VinceH

"or it was just media promotion for a shitty movie."

^ This - and this: In a few years, a film will be made about it, full of bullshit and action sequences that never happened, and it'll be "Based on true events" or some such nonsense.

1. Swarthy

Re:"Based on true events"

And at long last, Hollywood will have an original(-ish) movie.

3. PleebSmash
    Paris Hilton

Hollywood Accounting

What happened to the billion dollar loss incurred?

1. Ole Juul

Re: Hollywood Accounting

What happened to the billion dollar loss incurred?

That's why they're back-peddling. Now they they want to downplay the situation for the share holders.

1. PleebSmash
  4. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Is this like politicians affirming that a 2% tax hike will cost the economy only 2 billion over 10 years instead of the 100+ billion that it really does when all the investments, now forever unseen, are conveniently forgotten?

5. Mark 85

Some things are surprising, some aren't.

They still claim it's the NORK's yet unless the NORK's were really cash strapped, would they have demanded money early on? I'm still not buying "the NORK's did it".

What is surprising is that SONY sold off the Online Entertainment division instead of this one. Although, it's probable that the Pictures Division may go next. The lash back about root kits, etc. was a bad enough slap to them. This division is running right up there in the embarrassment factor.

6. Bob Dole (tm)

Unfortunately, I saw The Interview. It was free on Netflix so I figured what the heck.

All I can say is that I sent a bill to sony for my time. Horrible Horrible Horrible.

7. dan1980

It should cost WAY more than $15m.

With some 47,000 unique social security numbers slurped, that is at least 47,000 who have had at least some details slurped.

$15m is $320 for each of those people. So yeah, $15m is getting off rather lightly, if it is indeed even close to accurate.

8. Alistair
    Coat

Cheapest adveritsing campaign for a trash movie in years.

CEO will promote the advertising idiot that suggested the idea to VP.

9. Cuddles

Interesting admission

The Interview cost over $40 million to produce, and made under $7 million at the box office. An extra $15 million would still only have it making half its production cost, and most of that wouldn't even go to Sony. So, Sony have effectively admitted that The Interview was a shit film that was never going to come close to making any money.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like