back to article Blue Whale pushes email for free

Blue Whale Systems is providing a push email client for a variety of phone handsets, and plans to pay for it by putting a banner at the top of the screen. Last year Chiswick-based Blue Whale started developing Java and native (Symbian) clients for its service, and these are now available to download. The premise is pushed …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John Latham

Power concerns

"as data traffic has become cheaper the desktop method of regularly polling the server makes more sense."

Not if you consider battery life important.

I have a Blackberry and an E65. When the E65 is set to poll regularly, it drains it's battery in less than a day, and suffers much greater lag in message "delivery". The Blackberry will go days without a recharge.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Emoze

What's wrong with www.emoze.com?

3. Rob Pomeroy
    Black Helicopters

"Free" Hah!

I love this part from their privacy policy: "In order for us to deliver BlueWhaleMail™, the BlueWhaleMail™ software allocates a unique serial number to the specific software installation on the phone. It is not possible for us to provide BlueWhaleMail™ without allocating this unique serial number to your phone."

And, "It will not be possible for us to provide you with BlueWhaleMail™ if you do not respond to our questionnaires."

I'll stick with manually checking for personal email, thanks.

4. zedee
    Thumb Down

Err...... Emoze?

POP/Exchange/Gmail/GAFYD integrated push email over data link.*

Yawn. Late to the party I'm afraid.

* still not usable though, even with flat rate data. It's battery life which is the problem now, juice goes very quickly with an always open/frequently in use data link.

5. Phil Endecott

Desktops shouldn't be polling

> Desktop email clients connect to their servers every few minutes

> and check if there are new messages to download.

No, not if they're using IMAP (unless the software is brain-dead - which of course it might be).

IMAP keeps one (or more) TCP connections open to the server continuously, and the server sends a message to the client over this connection when there are new messages to see.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

@ Phil Endecott

Yes, because it's so much more efficient to have every client connected simultaneously than to poll once every ten minutes.

7. Richard Barnes

Err... Seven?

This push email service works fine on my E90 and it's (currently) free.

8. Marcel van Beurden
    Paris Hilton

IMAP rules

I use IMAP with the email client build into my Sony Ericsson K810i. It indeed keeps a connection open, but this doesn't cost anything, both in power and data traffic. You will get an immediate notification that you have a new mail and you can choose to download the whole message or just ignore it.

I don't see the point of download a Java client to do this except when you really love banners.

(Paris, because she is not on this page yet)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like