back to article Wanted: Brit Facebook and Twitter trolls for counter-jihad psyops

A new British Army unit will embrace web-enabled psyops and cyber-warfare to fight against the message of groups such as ISIS in cyberspace. The 77th Brigade is due to launch in April with 1,500 personnel, including regular soldiers, sailors and airmen as well as part-time reservists. Desirable skills for would-be recruits …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Call me old fashioned

But I can't help but feel carpet bombing would be a more effective strategy.

1. Tim Jenkins
      Terminator

Re: Call me old fashioned

===========================================================>

'nuff said.

2. fruitoftheloon

AC: Re: Call me old fashioned

Ac,

if we knew where to find the eejits that is....

J

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Just let Tommy Robinson loose on Twitter with all his knuckle dragging chums.

Should keep IS busy for a while.

1. Tim Jenkins

"...let Tommy Robinson loose..."

Misread that as 'Tony Robinson', and thought "That's a bit harsh on archaeologists, but I guess it might work" ; )

4. ckm5

I think that bombing them with books, movies, music & other corrupting cultural artifacts would be far more effective.

1. Fungus Bob

McDonald's

1. Robert Helpmann??
          Childcatcher

You say "McDonald's," I say "crimes against humanity." That's just mean!

1. Fungus Bob

I'm an asshole.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

GCHQ monitors all El Reg posts

Allah Snackbar

am I hired?

3. msknight

How very Orwellian...

"The modern-day 77th Brigade will be tasked with influencing public opinion "

The beginning of the end? V For Vendetta, anyone?

1. Bob Wheeler
      Facepalm

Re: How very Orwellian...

Since when does (should) the British Army get involved with influencing "public opinion"?

1. ckm5

Re: How very Orwellian...

Since pretty much forever. Propaganda is a key part of every military campaign.

4. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Big Brother

Begs the question ..

How much of this stuff is already going on. Maybe not in a military context, but a political one.

Those Daily Mail comments. Are they genuine, or Tory party shills. Or Labour party activists ?

Those BBC HYS posters. Are they really what they say they are. Or plants to give the appearance of public dissent/support (delete as applicable) ?

1. Chris Miller

Re: Begs the question ..

Some are, some are genuine loonies! Astroturfing is big business.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Unhappy

Think this may answer your question:

http://www.behaviouralinsights.co.uk/about-us

As I said in another post, we are better at hiding our suppression of society than China and Russia.

3. Mark 85

I think you will see this, albeit in a smaller form, here in the comments section. Comments in various articles seem to have a trending in upvotes or downvotes and also comments depending on the topic. I'm not just speaking of Apple, MS, Google, etc. themes but bring in politics or snooping and there is some obvious pattern. Damned if I know what it is... maybe just trolls, or shills, or even a bot.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Has anyone asked how do the actual chindit regiment feel about this rebrand?

Not at all sure myself, the original chindits were formed and fought out of bases india in the most horrible conditions of ww2, often deep in jungle territory inside burma often cut off from supplies or support for weeks on end, suffering malaria and side effects with each small team equipped with a mule to carry the team member that was sickest that day, which was permanently occupied. The japanese were a cruel enemy to be captured and would often cut off limbs with tattoo's and treat any POWS extremely badly as they considered them cowards.

I can recount many other tales which attribute to the grit of the regiment and the men which made it up as I'm the offspring of a heavily tattoo'd ex chindit (and the entire regiment went out and got tattoo's when they got this warning from their CO in defiance to the enemy, thats the kind of spirit they had, or were a daft bunch of blokes as my mum used to say when the topic of drawing on yourself permanently came up). I can't ask my dad as the side effects resulted in massive health problems and he fell to them eventually when I was a youngster.

I know about security at a low level, I'd happily play my part supporting whatever is needed from a technical point of view and I am not unskilled in the area, but I wouldn't want to go associating mealymouthed psyops done by blog postings by graduates tucked safely away in cube farms with the history of what my dad and others of his ilk did. Just doesn't seem right.

Anon, because, intent is not to stir up any resentment to other nations.

1. Tim Jenkins

I though exactly the same; struck me as either some kind of heavy-handed 'military humour' or a rather crass political decision within the MOD; it's not like it's hard to come up with a 'new' unit number, after all, and not try to draw a clumsy linkage between a genuinely ballsy unit of real warriors, and Twits

(and if we're going to do historical references, the Bible-verses-on-sniper-scopes thing did it better...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trijicon_biblical_verses_controversy

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Didn't a leaked GCHQ memo recently say that tattoos were a likely pointer to the sort of 'alternative lifestyle choices' that meant you probably wouldn't be hired?

6. ElectricFox
    Megaphone

Why engage with these losers?

Surely if you ignore them, they'll go away, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuxEwjBXlZE

7. Little Mouse
    Happy

Tomorrow, people?

We're getting a British Army Psi-Ops unit? That's so bad-ass.

1. Donkey Molestor X

Re: Tomorrow, people?

> We're getting a British Army PsiOps unit? That's so bad-ass.

Sigh. Why must you tease me? A secret unit of Scanners that make jihadists head a splode from a distance would be so much cooler than a secret unit of desk pilots posting LOL U SUX on a jihadist message board.

8. Bleu

It goes without saying

that many other countries have similar units, some defensive, some not.

Many also tolerate sites that are hotbeds for nationalistic trolling and hacking.

Israel seems to be the keenest on stealing commercial and industrial secrets, including from their benefactors in the USA.

The USA is pretty keen on stealing that and diplomatic info. from everywhere but Israel. They already know pretty well what Israel has as far as military tech., because much of it was stolen from the US.

This new unit as described sounds more like Israel's Internet megaphone than anything else, differences being that it is under army control instead of Interior Ministry (Home Office for the British) control.

Why would a troll operation (albeit in a good cause, except that it is impossible to forget the UK govt's role in creating the hellish conditions in Iraq, Libya, Syria, and other places in central to northern Africa, and the groups this '77' is said to be intended to troll) be made an army regiment?

Maybe the intention for the members in uniform is entirely different from the stated intention.

This 77 designation is also an insult to the soldiers who risked all fighting the equally brave soldiers of the Imperial Army.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: It goes without saying

> Why would a troll operation be made an army regiment?

Online voting?

In the online referendum on Northern Ireland independance the Yes vote = 2, the no vote = 465million

2. Tim Jenkins

This 77 designation

How about 'the 1001101st' ?

9. ukgnome

At last

A British regiment that I can join!

Sign me up sir!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Probably missing something but.....

I'm finding this rather odd. Why the army? Why not civil servants, spooks and such? It's not as if they are going to order these people to attack a hill or whatever, surely military discipline is totally unnecessary when all you are faced with is facebook. Also, are highly trained squaddies who can shoot people in the face etc, going to be best employed sat behind a web browser? Not seeing why this is necessary at all, plenty of civil servants with security clearance, and expanding their number would be easy. Or, is this about getting this done as part of the defence budget, thus it being a real terms cut for defence? Baffling.

1. lucki bstard

Re: Probably missing something but.....

Lots of spare staff officers around who need jobs

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/third-of-senior-officers-face-axe-as-head-of-army-vows-to-oust-penpushers-and-yes-men-10000102.html

11. Wupspups

And what the Army thinks.

Always good for a read is what the Brit Army's unofficial social media thinks of the situation

http://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/the-chindits-are-back.225808/

I do like the comment on page 4

"Is it a good sign when an information operation outfit starts off by oddly appropriating the name of a respected behind the lines mob from WWII? It's a bit like when they put a MG badge on a Mini Metro. "

12. David Pollard

Forced marches through Wikipedia?

I was wondering what sort of exercises they think up for training.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

15 (UK) Information Ops Group

Does this mean the PsyOps group has been disbanded or just re-rolled for the new world order?

1. David Pollard

Re: 15 (UK) Information Ops Group

Wikipedia just now said that "[f]rom April 2015, it will form part of 77th Brigade"; but that's probably just a cover story.

14. Mike VandeVelde
    Facepalm

diminishing returns

So they get someone like Matt Bryant to add the 13,147st comment to a major news article, that's supposed to be some kind of blow for freeedom? Once the noise to signal ratio rockets past 1,000% and the forum is basically overgrown with astroweeds, reclaimed by the astrojungle, who would they think remains to be influenced, is there anyone spending their days hyper obsessively reading every inane talking point comment? Will it be like an auto trading stock market crash, where everyone and their dog / blog squad has to keep up their pro/anti comment ratios and basically ddos all of the internets? How many major news outlets have a comments section where it's worth anything to read past the first 2 or 3 comments that show? How many more specialized forums like this one don't just laugh jokers like this off the stage? Up until there are just too many of them to bother with comments anymore...

I'd really like to see an organization like our esteemed paper of record The Register for example do some commenter analysis, and brand astrowarrior posts with the logo of the gang of thugs who spawned them based on IP addresses. I guess that wouldn't help sell ads though?

1. Mark 85

Re: diminishing returns

Seeing as how you are (or were until my post) at the bottom of the page... let's see what happens shall we? Popcorn?

15. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

oh dear

What you bet it does nothing to the nasty terror-ists but its remit spreads to cover internal treats such as; Much-in-th-Marsh against Windmills, or the Womens Institute - not saying they are threat but its so much easier for the authorities to target the law abiding rather than Crims or those terror thingies

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon