back to article German 700MHz auction signals start of Euro spectrum flogoffs

Germany is to be the first country in Europe to flog off the 700MHz frequency band, with auctions taking place in May and June this year. The Teutonic auction will take place seven years ahead of the date Ofcom proposes for the frequency to be made available to mobile operators in the UK. The lower frequencies are more …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Naturally....

" Naturally, as Germany has a smaller population, there is less money to be made out of spectrum"

I beg to differ... Germany has indeed roughly a fourth of the US population but concentrated on 1/26th of the US territory...

So maybe less users but also much less investment to provide and maintain coverage.... so better margins - no ?

1. simon_saunders

Re: Naturally....

Yes the population density is higher on average - but German mobile ARPUs are also a fraction (perhaps 1/2 to 1/3) of those in the US, so there is much less opportunity to invest per pop. And there's lots of unserved 'wide open space' in the US so the practical density is in fact much higher than your comparison suggests.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Germany phased out broadcast analogue TV later and much faster than the UK. I think the switchover was 5 years max and people were forced to buy new TVs or set-top boxes. You might expect some of the windfall from the spectrum auction to go to those who were forced to buy extra equipment to be able to exercise their constitutional rights…

1. JeffyPoooh
      Pint

Watching TV is a "constitutional right" ?

@CC

Seriously?

3. Stuart 22

Planned Obsolescence

So if I buy a TV now - will it work beyond 2022? The average life expectancy of my TVs to date has been between 20 and 30 years! And I have a Panny set top boxes dating back to the first days of Freeview to extend their lives.

Still mad about having to ditch my Pace Freeview tuner.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Planned Obsolescence

If the cost of a TV license is seven times the cost of a new set top box, the economics are not in question - more a matter to the consumer of whether they or the network provider pays and whether the picture quality is worse, as good as or better than before.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

"If the cost of a TV license is seven times the cost of a new set top box"

At the time of the original freeview decoders, they were roughly comparable - and even now the HD decoders aren't particularly cheap.

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

"Still mad about having to ditch my Pace Freeview tuner."

It was extremely irritating that the SetPal systems all took a shortcut on the EPG.

Even more so that the company disappeared and the code for the decoders went walkies. It might have been possible to kludge up a fix had it been available.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

How would selling off part of the TV spectrum obsolete a TV? It would be able to tune to channels that no longer exist, while newer TVs wouldn't be able to tune to those channels since there'd be no point.

If they change the modulation or compression then your old TV wouldn't be able to tune those channels. If they do that for all channels THEN your old TV is obsolete. But that has nothing specifically to do with the sale of spectrum.

If you're concerned, just buy the cheapest TV you can and it'll probably break down before 2022 anyway :)

4. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

Spectrum auctions...

Such auctions should be leases, not sales.

It could be for a 20-year lease if that's the optimum period (technical, fiscal), but it should never be a 'forever' sale with perpetual property rights. Lease holder would retain renewal rights, with priority and future fees based on a score of how they've used the spectrum for the greater public good.

Score can be based on efficiency of use, efficiency of use in high population density areas, public satisfaction, investments, modest profit levels, good neighbour to adjacent spectrum, etc.

A 30-page document would lay it all out. Easy peasy.

1. Len

Re: Spectrum auctions...

Isn't leases what they are in practice?

The winner of the auction doesn't get to own the spectrum, they just get a license to use it. It remains regulated by the State who acts as an independent creator of the market. Often the regulator will have additional conditions such as X% of the population must be served by such and such date, it can only used for technology A, B or C, etc. etc.

1. Mage Silver badge
        Boffin

Re: Spectrum auctions...

Useless conditions and poorly enforced. They do not want to hurt the revenue.

Also "competition" is to raise auction prices. In a Mobile band using ONE wholesale operator nearly doubles spectrum efficiency. With smaller urban cells the efficiency can be x3. Imagine 4 operators, at a particular mast (sector really), one operator could be "full" (only needs 4 people wanting video or 10 wanting web pages vs 50 phone calls). Two could be at 50% and one near empty.

If you have giant cells, then it's more likely all operators see the same traffic. But x4 range of cell means 1/16th capacity, or less than 1/16th speed with same number of users as the scheduling etc to share the same channel isn't 100% effective. Actually 3G wastes 50% of capacity if there are too many users, but with one user it's about equal speed to 4G in same size channel.

5. Martin an gof Silver badge
    Unhappy

Now I have to explain to my bosses...

...why the spanking new Sennheiser radio microphones that we bought two years ago on a "co-ordinated" frequency in the 700MHz range will have to be retuned or replaced within the next few years, and why our older microphones which were retuned from 800MHz down to 700MHz probably can't be retuned further.

Oh, and I'm going to have fun finding enough space in the remaining UHF spectrum for 20-odd sets alongside Freeview multiplexes, local TV and "white space" devices. At the moment we have 3x 8MHz "channels" plus a few in the licence-free band.

Hurumph.

M.

1. Mage Silver badge
      Devil

Whiite Space

So called "White Space" is a lie. I bet the Mobile Operators would scream if anyone tried to foist that guaranteed to interfere technology on them. Even the name is a lie.

2. localzuk Silver badge

Re: Now I have to explain to my bosses...

Why did you buy 700Mhz mics 2 years ago? The industry has been going on about it since at least 2010.

Also, Sennheiser will usually change the frequency bands for you for a fee.

1. Martin an gof Silver badge
        Unhappy

Why did you buy 700Mhz mics 2 years ago?

Ok, so it was a couple more than 2 years ago. Take it from me, the first inklings of the 700MHz sell-off came just after we'd taken delivery and even then it was "unlikely due to co-ordination issues across Europe". And where we are, 700MHz was the easiest place to find 24MHz free.

I'm fully aware that Sennheiser should be able to re-tune our new microphones, but they couldn't retune our old ones because they "ran out of parts". It would have cost in the region of £400 per channel (tx/rx) IIRC which was a substantial proportion of the cost of new. Fortunately the old ones were able to use ch70 without modification so we didn't have to chuck them, though it does limit their use occasionally. Our old Trantecs were re-tuned by a third party, but probably can't be retuned again. That third party couldn't also retune the Sennheisers because of specific parts only available from Sennheiser while the Trantecs had bog standard components.

Or something.

M.

1. localzuk Silver badge

Fair enough. 24Mhz of frequency is a fair old chunk to need for wireless mics!

It does mean that your equipment will be about 10 or so years old by the time the changes happen in the UK then. Not a bad lifetime for wireless gear to be honest! I wish our Sennheiser mics would last that long.

6. Mage Silver badge
    Devil

800MHz sell off may have been a mistake, 700MHz is Greed.

What is the Digital Dividend?

1) Money for Tresuries via Regulator's auctions

2) Savings in numbers of Rural masts for Mobile Operators.

3) NOTHING extra for consumer.

Large cells are very poor speed/capacity. 800MHz band is larger cells than 900, and nearly x3 diameter / range of 1800MHz. That means 1/9th of capacity per unit area.

At 700MHz, it's a cheap way to provide voice to a village, but about 1/16th of capacity per unit area compared to 1800MHz. Longer range (i.e. cell interference = lower speed) happens MUCH more commonly at 700MHz. Note that Mobile operators make huge profits from voice, enormous profit from SMS and nearly nothing (or in case of Three, none) from Data.

Unless FIXED wireless with roof aerials are used, NOT a single person will have broadband, no matter if 4G or something newer is deployed.

It's purely revenue raising and a cost saving for the Mobile operator.

Mobile operators should be forced to have a higher density and more masts 900MHz to 2100MHz and properly re-use spectrum AND provide better performance.

The various sell offs below 900MHz in Europe and 800MHz in USA purely raise money for Treasury (a one off) and cripple DTT newer services and newer technology, playing into hands of Pay TV Cable and Satellite.

It's a fact that Comreg and Ofcom in Europe want to abolish Terrestrial TV entirely and have people only pay for TV via Internet (not scaleable for 20M simultaneous HD viewers), Satellite and Cable.

1. Rampant Spaniel

Re: 800MHz sell off may have been a mistake, 700MHz is Greed.

Not entirely correct. In rural settings cell density would remain constant with the superior propagation characteristics of the lower band spectrum extending range and the additional frequency increasing aggregate capacity. In urban settings lower band frequency is likely to be deployed on all masts (it certainly had been here) with antenna tilt and tuning (transmitting at lower levels than the maximum permitted) used to prevent overlap whilst still gaining an advantage in building penetration and again in aggregate capacity. You can always transmit at a lower power and our tilt the antenna to reduce range but you can't transmit above the legal limit, hence low band spectrum is more versatile and therefore valuable. Plus any additional spectrum is valuable as demand increases rapidly. Whilst your comments about cell size are superficially correct the lower band spectrum would be used in addition to existing mid and high band spectrum so the only load on the low band spectrum would be those subscribers out of range of the mid band spectrum. It hadn't been the case elsewhere that it resulted in any significant decrease in sites. Providers that typically had low band spectrum have actually been hard at work increasing their site density as a method of increasing capacity as well as adding mid band spectrum.

Also regarding iptv, you are mistaken, ip multicast or whatever is called this week had been around for a long time and would result in very little strain on fixed networks. It actually makes a fair bit of sense to switch to using an ip broadcast solution apart from for those wanting a mobile connection or those not able to be serviced by a fixed line connection.

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

Putting my "RF engineer" hat on.

Larger cells are for less dense areas. Large and small cells happily coexist (urban and rural areas)

1800 and 2100MHz don't penetrate into buildings particularly well, let alone 2600MHz and there's no technical reason why a 7/800MHz cell needs to be larger than 900MHz or even 1800MHz ones. It's all down to transmitter power and the way you stack your antennas and 7-900MHz can all use the same stack.

The bandwidth allocation is the same in each frequency band, so the capacity is the same.

Terrestrial DTT is a crock anyway. It made sense up to the point when LNAs were expensive but a suitable dish/LNA for Freesat is less than 30 quid (50 if you need more than 2 outputs) would eliminate millions of pounds of costs in distributing and broadcasting signals around the countryside and likely save a few lives from people falling off roofs whilst trying to get a signal.

1. Rampant Spaniel

Have any of the UK mobile companies stated trialing 8x8 mimo yet ? Sprint is using it over here on their 25/2600 MHz and getting decent results even with dual antenna phones (so essentially 8x2. They reckon it makes it on par with 1900MHz). I noticed a decent jump in signal quality at the edge of cells when tmobile switched in the 4x2 mimo antenna here.

Also with cell sizes, you can often use tilt to shrink a cell without a huge drop in transit power. So you get the full benefit of the building penetration but a smaller area is covered.

3. Nextweek

> It's a fact that Comreg and Ofcom in Europe want to abolish Terrestrial TV entirely and have people only pay for TV via Internet (not scaleable for 20M simultaneous HD viewers), Satellite and Cable

Wireless TV broadcast should be gone by 2050, its a horribly ineffective use of the spectrum. The 20M viewers is the peak rate. Plus when you consider the majority of the population have a fixed line into their homes it frees up the airwaves for the more versatile IP traffic. IPv6 has multicast built in, that should be a catalyst for improvements.

Plus facilitating people watching the Xfactor on a Saturday night should not be a network engineers priority.

7. simon_saunders

Unfair comparison

Germany may well be in a bigger hurry than UK to award 700 MHz, but there are some good reasons for that - its dependence on DTT as a platform is way less than the UK's.

And you've compared the German *award* date to the UK *latest availability date*: spectrum awards can often take place years before the spectrum is actually available for us, and 2022 is a backstop date - the previous Digital Switchover indicates that the process can often be considerably faster in practice,

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like