back to article Samsung snub sends Qualcomm into a spin over Snapdragon 810

Breaking news from Qualcomm: it has sent out a press release. The news is not the contents of the press release, but that it was sent out at all. There is no Qualcomm news in the email we received, which had the subject line “Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 Processor Powers Premium Tier Mobile Experiences of 2015.” It’s a response to …

1. theblackhand

Hmmmm

What could be wrong with the 810? Why is it using a Cortex core instread of a Krait core? Samsung can get Cortex cores into Exynos so why go elsewhere...

Maybe the Snapdragon 820 will be better - or will it take even longer before Qualcomm has their own in-house 64-bit core?

1. PaulR79

Re: Hmmmm

The 810 is a 64-bit chip. I initially thought the 805 was as well but after checking it seems I was wrong.

1. theblackhand

I understand the 810 is 64-bit - but it is using ARM designed Cortex cores versus other Snapdragon processors using Qualcomm's customised Krait cores.

The thing that differentiated Qualcomm in the past was their ability to produce custom ARM7A cores that competed with Apple on both CPU performance and power usage - the 810 loses that advantage even before any supposed manufacturing issues resulting in poor power performance.

The 820 is supposed to be the 64-bit Krait (or successor to Krait).

2. Eddy Ito

My guess is that they felt a need to get to market as quickly as possible with 64-bit and weren't comfortable spinning their own derivation in the time frame they wanted and went stock Cortex. I'd think they'll be back to their own venomous creature cores in fairly short order though.

For Samsung it's probably a toss up since the Exynos 7 and Snapdragon 810 both have the same 8 core (quad A57, quad A53) design. Both also have a DSP/ISP for the camera, use a 20 nm process and it remains to be seen whether there are real differences between the new Mali T760 GPU and the Adreno 430. That leaves the big difference being the fact that the radio is built into the 810 while it looks like another chip on Exynos but that only means Samsung has to reach as far as the next parts bin. In my cursory look I didn't see anything about footprint so maybe there was something to be worked with there.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The Exynos 7420 uses a 14nm process, not 20nm like the Qualcomm 810.

One of many links: http://bgr.com/2015/01/27/galaxy-s6-specs-exynos-7420-cpu/

1. Eddy Ito

Ah 14 nm could prove very interesting indeed. It's puzzling why their Exynos page lists it as 20 nm HKMG if they do have it down to 14.

2. cambsukguy

At least it means a new flagship Lumia

Which gives me much more hope for a 1020 replacement.

As long as it is close enough to the current camera spec and has the fancy new camera features I will be sold.

Built in wireless charging will be the clincher, most missed on my 920.

3. big_D Silver badge

Think of it another way...

You don't see Ford putting GM engines in their new cars. They have their own engines and want to use those in preference, because it is a pride thing. To use another manufacturers engine is to admit engineering defeat. (Although there are plenty of example of co-operation between manufacturers to save on R&D costs by sharing engines and components (see Peugeot/Citroen and Toyota.)

The same goes for Samsung and they have used their own processors in each generation of the Galaxy S line, but not in every model, for every market.

There were some combinations of processor and LTE that didn't work and they had to use Snapdragons in those markets. Maybe they have now solved the compatibility problem and are keen to show off their own processor.

1. Hellcat

Re: Think of it another way...

Bit of a bad example. There is huge amounts of cross-engine sharing in the car industry.

Vauxhall (GM) use Fiat derived diesel engines. Suzuki have used Fiat diesels and in return used their small 4x4 platform (Rav4). My old Volvo V40 had a Renault engine, and a colleague's Kia had a Merc.

The main difference is car manufacturers can still stick their own logo on the engine cover, so to the casual observer it's the same brand engine. I can't imagine many people checking under the bonnet of their smartphone to see who's logo is showing.

1. Gary Bickford

It can be taken farther - this is from the boat industry but I'm sure it happens in the car industry. At various times Volvo engines were actually made by Perkins, and Perkins engines were made by Volvo or Kubota, or Isuzu or something. I forget the specifics, but in many cases the exact same make and model engine might have come from three different actual makers. Conversely, the same engine might be labeled under three or more different makes and models.

1. fishman

Small Volvo marine diesels are made by Perkins, using a Kubota engine block.

2. Mage Silver badge

Ford have used Peugeot engines though.

3. Terry Barnes

"co-operation between manufacturers to save on R&D costs by sharing engines and components (see Peugeot/Citroen"

That's not co-operation between manufacturers. They're two arms of the same company.

Component sharing between manufacturers in the car industry is widespread - including engines.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You do that ford has used honda engines before.

4. Alistair
    Coat

email blast has nothing to do with PR

Documents like that have only one purpose, protect the stock price.

1. Simon Rockman

Re: email blast has nothing to do with PR

Oh, of course, but the PR is to do just that.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Simple!

Given their previous track record I'd say this is the cause:

Samsung noticed that the 810 got very hot and there way a danger of the phone being damaged when running benchmarks. This is due to Samsung's OS changes recognising a benchmark being run and the CPU clock being accelerated by 1000%.

1. wayne 8

Re: Simple! Back to the highway transport industry

Back in 1999 there was a story going around that the manufacturers of diesels used for trucks had programmed the management chips to recognize when a gov't mandated test was being run. The engine would run in a special mode that would pass the test.

6. Mage Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

If it was anyone OTHER than Samsung.

The 1st iPhone was Samsung SC6400 family.

Samsung may have many good reasons to use their own chippery. If Intel made ARM phone chips and phone would they buy a Qualcomm cpu?

Though Samsung do use other people's CPUs when it suits them. They are thus not like Intel.

So really Qualcomm seem to be over-reacting. Unless Samsung is going to sell to all the other phone makers in competition to Qualcomm next iteration.

7. Alan Denman

Intel World LTE is the reason.

Seems using Exynos they might now have one build for the whole world market.

And remember, it was those Qualcomm patent charges that made it cheaper for Samsung to adopt Qualcomm rather than to use their own kit.

It is much the same the world over, all being to do with having the lowest cost base.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like