back to article Spent the weekend watching Game of Thrones? You're a FAT LONELY SADDO

You thought it was harmless, didn't you? Settling down on the sofa, firing up your trusty smart TV, stream-o-dongle or similar - or for the retro types, unwrapping your new boxset of DVDs - and getting ready to burn up a day or two watching an entire telly series end to end. Well brace up, my sessile friend, because there's …

1. Tom7

Just one remark

I AM NOT SAD.

Mine's the size 25 with the empty address book in the pocket.

2. Don Dumb
    Childcatcher

The Reg RSS feed knows me too well

Terrifyingly, I DID spend a large chunk of the weekend watching Game Of Thrones, with my girlfriend, not something I usually do. She will binge through a 22 episode series almost as quickly as they can be played, but I rarely actually see her watching them, she just likes a background (foreground?) while she is sewing/knitting/working/etc. We are both in good shape.

From what I can tell about my friends, it seems the people who most likely binge watch are those who don't like most broadcast telly and often have kids (so a boxset is the only thing to do after the kids have gone to bed). Not necessarily lonely or fat.

But then I'm not a qualified scienticianalist like the researchers in the article.

1. frank ly

Re: The Reg RSS feed knows me too well

"... almost as quickly as they can be played ..."

Have you tried watching video files and inctreasing the play speed slightly? I once did that accidentally and didn't notice it was playing at X1.1 speed. At X1.2 it can be barely noticable depending on the speed of the dialogue.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I have a Sony HDD recorder that can play at 1.5x and corrects the dialogue pitch, it's surprising how many programmes are watchable like that, although it does take a little more concentration than usual.

1. Joe Harrison

I play them at 8x with the sound off while I'm asleep, you can get through most TV shows amazingly quickly that way with no loss of quality.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Trollface

Watch the American "Football" at 50x and it's almost exciting to watch

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

@Lost all Faith . . now you're just being silly.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Happy

"@Lost all Faith . . now you're just being silly"

You're right, would need 100x for that.

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Surely you mean Rugby for wimps?

2. dogged

@Don Dumb

> after the kids have gone to bed

I have a toddler. He'll be 2 at the end of March. There is no "after". There are several hours spent trying to get the little shit to sleep followed by rapidly passing out because regardless of what I do, he will be up at 6. Unless I'm up at 6. The he'll sleep in 'til 8.

1. jake Silver badge

Hey, ElReg (was:@dogged(was: Re: @Don Dumb)))

Why the fuck was THAT post nixed? Does ElReg approve of parents referring to their kids as "little shits", and disapprove of non-family members feeling sorry for the kid(s) involved (through no fault of their own) in said family relationship?

1. dogged

@jake - Re: Hey, ElReg

I missed your post, I guess it was disapproving or something, I dunno.

I think most honest parents would agree that toddlers are capable of being little shits for days at a time. Doesn't mean we don't love them. I love mine. I don't think his mother's cat loves him though.

2. Swarthy

Re: @Don Dumb

There is no "after".

I had a similar experience (and then did it again... Slow learner here); you may have an 'after' after they get near the 3 years old mark. My son is one of those 6AM morning-types, the good part is he wants to go to bed around 7:30-8PM.

It does get better. --If for no other reason then that one day they will be teenagers and not want to get out of bed before noon, and then you get to wake them up. I am planning on keeping a bag of marbles in the freezer for just that occasion.

1. AceRimmer

Re: @Don Dumb

<mumsnet>

My 3yo Daughter goes to sleep by herself at 8pm and has been for a few months but it wasn't easy to get there.

First step was buying blackout shades for her room, especially useful when the evenings are lighter

A set bedtime routine is essential

After that it comes down to trust and training them to not be scared to be left alone. We went through these steps:

1. Letting her fall asleep whilst lying on my chest

2. Letting her fall asleep whilst lying next to me

3. Letting her fall asleep whilst I was sat on the bed

4. Letting her fall asleep whilst I sat in her doorway

5. Letting her fall asleep with her door open whilst I noisily pottered around getting stuff done close by

6. Door open + a night light - I get to go and do what ever and she falls asleep by herself

That all took about 3 months. Occasionally we had to take a step back but its something we understood would happen

She needs the night light now as she loves scary books about ghosts and dragons but also has an active imagination (as most toddlers do)

Any dissent on her part was treated as calmly as possible, an angry toddler isn't a sleepy toddler, repeated infractions result on her being left on her own for 5 minutes to cry it out and think about it.

For the record, she never slept in a cot, it was something we gave up trying to do and for the first 2 years she bed shared with us.

YMMV

</mumsnet>

3. jgarbo
    Devil

Seinfeld - done already!

Didn't Seinfeld do a set on males Hunting TV channels, while females Nested on a particular channel? I'll take Seinfeld's explanation over any Texan PhD (GCSE in Britain).

1. JohnnyGStrings

Re: Seinfeld - done already!

Here's the bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d3diodXKPU

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Another Day

Another quack with a portfolio to fill.

Seriously, shall i binge watch breaking bad, or blacklist in my nice warm ho(vel)use or shall i go out, be cold, as lonely and as depressed..

I'd love to tell all these folks to fuck off and leave my life alone. Its my fucking life, not yours and i will spend it doing WTF i want without interference from some busy body nobody TYVM.

Now then, where's my Prozac.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Surprise

Binge-watching seems the same as binge-playing. Video/Video Game - what's the difference?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: Surprise

Activity.

"Bing-playing" does not exist - you may be unable to let go because you want to solve the next mystery, but that's not the same thing at all as streaming TV into your head.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Surprise

No difference when you compare with WoW

1. Mephistro
        Happy

Re: Surprise(@ AC) (tl:dr)

"No difference when you compare with WoW"

On the contrary, there are several important differences.

- In WoW you have to be continually thinking and finding ways to improve your gameplay/equipment, strategies, etc. . Meanwhile the telly usually just feeds content into your brain. That delivery method (TV) very often surpasses our brain's 'filters', 'antimemes', bullshit detectors and similar defensive processes.

-WoW is a social game, in which interaction with other players is fundamental. You get valuable training in planning, collaboration, collective problem solving, haggling and the working of markets, you name it. WoW also works often like a social network, with people discussing/chatting/frolicking through chat channels and voicechat. On the other hand, the TV includes no way to interact with other users, so there are married couples who watch their favourite shows in different TVs or families where every member has a TV in their sleeping room. TV favours isolation, while WoW creates an almost velievable simulation of a human society.

And yes, WoW is addictive as hell, but that addiction usually cures itself in a few years, when players get finally tired of the game. I know because that's what happened with me and my WoW addiction. Have heard the same history from other ex-players. For the first years, it was really funny too.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wonder if they are lonely themselves

..just saying..

7. jake Silver badge

The credentials of the authors of the paper ...

... don't automagically negate the observation.

I'm no fan of advertising, it all sucks.

However, hibernating in front of your TV for a weekend is just plain sad.

1. Kane
      Thumb Up

Re: The credentials of the authors of the paper ...

"However, hibernating in front of your TV for a weekend is entirely your own business, and any opinion expressed to the contrary is merely that - an opinion."

There, FTFY!

2. Richard 81

"The credentials of the authors of the paper ...

... don't automagically negate the observation."

That very much depends on the credentials of the author.

If they had a PhD in sandwich making, would you still take their conclusions seriously?

1. jake Silver badge

@ Richard 81 (was:Re: The credentials of the authors of the paper ...)

"If they had a PhD in sandwich making, would you still take their conclusions seriously?

Again, their credentials don't necessarily negate the observation.

3. dan1980

@jake

"However, hibernating in front of your TV for a weekend is just plain sad."

Maybe you binge watch BECAUSE you have a busy social and/or family life, with weekend sports for yourself or the kids and meeting friends for drinks and going to the gym at lunch so you can study after work, though not on 'date night', where you and the partner make an effort to go out, having dropped the kid(s) off at your parents.

Perhaps when the stars align and you've got a free weekend - when you've gotten ahead of your assignments and footy's finished for the year and you were out at a wedding the previous weekend so you've caught up with a lot of your friends and you've recently returned from a short stay interstate (couldn't really spare the time for a full OS trip) so not super-keen to spend too much money - perhaps then you decide that you're just going to kick back with your partner and run through a season or two of something you've been meaning to watch but haven't had the time.

Or maybe everyone else has been able to watch 'Breaking Bad' or any other popular show as it was happening but your busy life meant there were always more important things to do. So you buy the box set and get your watching in when you can but watching the episodes individually can be unfulfilling for any number of reasons. Perhaps you might only get to watch one every other week or sporadically, meaning you can't always remember what happens and it's difficult to keep the thread. Or maybe you just have a poor memory.

Or perhaps you have missed season one and season two is about to start on TV and so you need to catch up quickly so you can watch it in 'real time' and so join in the discussions with your friends or colleagues - which is quite the normal part of a social life.

Or sometimes it's just nice to put the world aside for a weekend and veg-out and this is very much a part of a normal, healthy life - we all need 'down time', where there aren't any pressing concerns we have to deal with and the most complicated decision is whether to get changed so we aren't seen in our tracksuit pants by the pizza delivery person.

A box-set marathon is a great way to do this because for a period of time you can be relatively passive and it doesn't ask too much of you. You don't have to remember much and you don't have to make any decisions and yes, you get to 'escape' for a short while and just put the real world on pause for a day or two.

That 'benefit' is one that can become addictive for people, to be sure, and if you spend all your weekends in this fashion then no, it's probably not healthy and probably does signal that you are possibly depressed or otherwise having difficulty dealing with life.

The same can be said for online gaming, where you can immerse yourself in an alternate world where the normal pressures of life are absent. It's a perfectly valid and normal past time but can signal problems if that is all you do.

In short, if you are habitually doing something that is used to forget the problems of the real world then it's entirely possible that this may signify that you have more problems to forget or have a harder time dealing with them than others. BUT, this doesn't mean that the behaviour cannot be part of a totally normal and healthy (physically and emotionally) lifestyle.

1. jake Silver badge

@ dan1980 (was:Re: The credentials of the authors of the paper ...)

Wow. Nice screed.

You might have convinced yourself, but you haven't convinced me.

1. dan1980

Re: @ dan1980 (was:The credentials of the authors of the paper ...)

@jake

The truly great thing is that I don't need to convince either of us. You're welcome to judge people as "sad" based on blanket criteria without knowing anything further about them, or simply because they enjoy different things than you do.

Personally, I choose not to do that : )

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"The truly great thing is that I don't need to convince either of us. You're welcome to judge people as "sad" based on blanket criteria without knowing anything further about them, or simply because they enjoy different things than you do."

I judge Jake as sad based on his comments here

1. dan1980

I judge Jake as an individual who has his own life and his own pursuits. Personally, I think raising animals and growing vegetables sounds pretty boring but Jake seems to like it and that's fine.

He presumably thinks that watching a whole season of some TV show or other on a Saturday is a waste of good turkey-feeding time or ham curing or whatever he would otherwise do.

Again, if that was me I would be a bit bored - I have very little interest in raising animals and, as a vegetarian, even less interest in slaughtering, slicing and serving them. But I don't press that judgement onto everyone else.

2. Bernard M. Orwell

"However, hibernating in front of your TV for a weekend is just plain sad."

So, what did you do with your weekend and why was it better? Work? Sport? Drinking? Unless you were actively saving lives, or creating a great work of art or literature, I doubt your chosen activity was any more "worthy".

Life is to be enjoyed, not a drudge until we die.

8. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Happy

Spent the weekend watching Game of Thrones? You're a FAT LONELY SADDO

Not if you act it out.

1. Tim Jenkins

Re: Spent the weekend watching Game of Thrones? You're a FAT LONELY SADDO

"Not if you act it out"

Depends; is it a solo performance, and are you doing the Daenerys/Drogo scenes, or almost any part involving Theon's parts?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Spent the weekend watching Game of Thrones? You're a FAT LONELY SADDO

"Not if you act it out."

Especially the sex scenes.

9. deadlockvictim

Sadness, I call it gladness

As with all things, it depends on the nature and frequency of the binging.

For example, when my wife and I get a new boxset [1], we tend to watch 2-3 episodes at night together after the children have been dispatched to bed. I suppose that we could hire a babysitter and go down to the pub. That would be less anti-social but also less liver-friendly. There may be a correlation. We buy about 4 or so boxsets per year.

The last time we seriously binged on DVDs was all 6 Lord of the Rings DVDs over 10 or so hours back in 2006. I borrowed a projector and screen from work and we ordered Thai and pizza for our meals. At the end, I had a headache and vowed never again, well not soon, anyway.

But I see no reason why binge-watching, like binge game-playing, can't be a social activity. Organise an all-day session with friends — say, this sunday we will go through series 1 of Game Of Thrones and make an occasion of it. Then we'll organise another Sunday for series 2. Hell, it's even an excuse to go out and buy a much bigger monitor.

[1] We don't have a TV, just a DVD player. We are definitely anti-social people.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

To binge or not to binge...

They need to be more specific in what they mean by 'binge watching'... there's a big difference between watching half a series after sitting down to watch an episode or two and actually planning to watch a whole series because it's the first quiet weekend you've had in more than a month!

11. Teiwaz

Drepressing?

Did they study people who just watch broadcast TV all weekend as well?

I think if I was stuck on that dead medium alone every evening, never mind a whole weekend, I'd be hanging from the ceiling by a rope after hour 3.

I think people like to re-watch series they like. I couldn't even begin to count the number of times I've watched Twin Peaks, Babylon 5 or Stargate, but the hour time spent watching these will never exceed the number of hours I spent watching utter dross while growing up.

My favourite stiories, be they movie, TV series or even graphic novels & books regularly get revisited. Such favourites have become part of my own personal mythology, the ones read as a early teen especialy. Revisiting them is like refreshing my own cultural roots.

What is it with this 'sad' label anyhow, I've been hearing it since the late 80's where it was thrown about at schoolyards as a derogatory, now it's a scientific term or medical diagnosis apparently...

1. an it guy
      Boffin

Re: Drepressing?

"Did they study people who just watch broadcast TV all weekend as well?

I think if I was stuck on that dead medium alone every evening, never mind a whole weekend, I'd be hanging from the ceiling by a rope after hour 3."

Um. based on your own hypothesis, not many of those people would be around. Thus no one to study.

Right, degree please! Boffin because, well, umm.. perhaps not...

1. Teiwaz
        Holmes

Re: Drepressing?

It's called exageration for comic effect.

Sherlock, 'cause, well you deserve a donout, detective.

12. Matthew Taylor

Yak yak rabbit rabbit

Maybe you just enjoy a bit of peace and quiet after a busy week. Is not wanting to communicate 24 hours a day now a sign of some deficiency? I'm married with kids, and can say with certainty that I dream of spending a weekend binge watching game of thrones.

13. mix
    Mushroom

What would these scienticians call people that binge-watch celebrity big brother?

1. Zog_but_not_the_first
      Trollface

Facebook users.

14. Wombling_Free
    IT Angle

Could you perhaps tone down your laddish editorial? This isn't RALPH

Hi Reg editors & writers,

Do you think that describing people people with depression as 'lazy saddos' is either good journalism or even constructive in any way? Perhaps you think it is 'funny'.

If you personally have suffered or know someone who has suffered depression then you will know that it is not a fun disease, nor is something anyone chooses to have; it is a life-threatening and devastating condition, one that continues to endure a stigma of disbelief & doubt due to articles such as the one above.

That people who suffer from depression binge-watch TV is hardly surprising, and to be honest hardly relevant on a site that purports to be relevant to the IT industry. 20 years ago this research would have found that depression sufferers tend to loose themselves in books or VHS videos, 40 years ago books or comics, 80 years ago books - you get the picture - all of which are of little relevance to what The Register purports to focus on.

At least these days there are medications which can help; but unfortunately the most common side-effect of these compounds is significant weight-gain, due to the way neurotransmitters also affect our digestive metabolism.

Given a choice of being either 'over-weight' by current society's rather harsh standards, or being so depressed that every morning is a struggle, every day a chore and every hour of the day you fend off thoughts of suicide - which would you choose?

A bit of escapism is hardly a bad thing - binge-watching doesn't cause or trigger depression, and just by turning off the TV the depression isn't going to magically go away, and no, you can't THINK yourself out of it. Binge-watching is just another symptom; and another indicator that our current lifestyle and society (and I'm making no east/west distinction here) is stressful to the point that a large percent of the population is beginning to suffer from these illnesses.

Maybe a bit of support, or some real journalism about the extent, causes and effects of depression in the IT industry would be a good idea.

1. hplasm
      Headmaster

Re: Could you perhaps tone down your laddish editorial? This isn't RALPH

If you 'loose yourselves in books' there's probably a different description of you than saddo...

1. Teiwaz

Bookworm.

It's never had quite the negative connatation (probably because most people never read enough to learn to do it without following the narrative with a finger).

2. Wombling_Free

Two down votes already? Wow! Aren't 'saddos' funny, eh?

3. Richard 81

I'm confused. If this was a serious article then your rant might be warranted, but I'm pretty sure the gist was:

- Study finds people who binge-watch are sad, lonely and overweight

- Study conducted by Muppet

1. Teiwaz

Which Muppet?

My money is on Sam the American Eagle.

There's nothing this side of the pond but Fraggles.

(great, now I'm tempted to start a Muppet Show or Fraggle Rock 'video session')

4. dan1980

@Wombling_Free

While I fully appreciate the sentiments, I feel they have been misdirected because it sounds like you have misunderstood the tone of the article. I believe that Lewis' rather blunt synopsis of the paper was his way of ridiculing it.

I could be wrong, of course, but given he is generally discounting the paper, it seems that that was his purpose in using that language.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I like to see it as....

I only have so much time on this planet. When I am lying on my death bed will I look back and regret spending a weekend watching the Comic Strip back to back when I could've hopped on a plane and gone to say, Croatia for a weekend of history and culture?

No.

Although I know that really, I should take that trip instead. Life is trying though and sometimes you just need to switch off instead of forcing yourself to do something social or 'fun'.

16. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Can always trust trick-cyclists

To swap cause and effect and claim a correlation as proof.

If you ARE a fat lonely saddo, you are more likely to spend your weekend binge-watching. Does not mean at all that if you occasionally watch a few episodes of something in a row you will turn into one...

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Next Buttons?

Amateurs - stick it all in a play list - lay back - enjoy. Occasionally pause to get a cup of preferred beverage and visit the facilities.

18. Bernard M. Orwell

I've done some research too....

... and found that if you have a PhD. in advertising and marketing then you are a grade-A wanker and of no value to society.

D.F.O.

1. Teiwaz

Re: I've done some research too....

Good, add them to the passenger list for the 'B' Ark.

2. Dan Paul

Re: I've done some research too....@Bernard M. Orwell

I was going to say that there is no such thing as a PhD in advertising or marketing. Why you ask? Because no one is quite that stupid. They certainly are "Grade A Wankers" at the very least but likely they are fat lonely saddos that binge watch re-runs of the Kardassians.

19. Mark 85

Next study coming up....

So is hibernating in front of the computer better or worse than binge watching TV?

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A) I'm not at all surprised that someone who has a hard time seeing a happy place for them in the worl (AKA--they're depressed) stays home and watches a lot of TV.

B) What does that say about people like me, who watched Game of Thrones on IMAX this weekend as part of the Game of Thrones IMAX Experience! We paid $17 each to watch two TV episodes that each of us had seen at least twice, and we got to see the new season 5 trailer---Ooooooo!!

(Paris--because if you squint she kind of looks like Danaerys Targaeryan)

1. Teiwaz
      Coat

Paris -> Danaerys Targaeryan

Well, maybe...

(if I took off my glasses and allowed someone to pepper spray me in face eight or nine times)

I read that as 'squirt' not 'squint' the first time round, so I'll get me coat.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Paris -> Danaerys Targaeryan

Its OK. Apparently I forgot to actually attach the Paris Hilton icon anyway.

1. Teiwaz

Re: Paris -> Danaerys Targaeryan

No probo, I seem to have left out a definite article, resulting in the supposition that I be pepper sprayed multiple times in a now defunct fashion magazine.

Best laid plans of mice...

21. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

"But I see no reason why binge-watching, like binge game-playing, can't be a social activity."

It can be. But usually, it's not, it's one person sitting there watching episode after episode after episode. I honestly doubt it's healthy to watch like 20 hours of anything all in one stretch. They're talking trends, not saying literally every instance of binge-watching is buy a umm "fat loney saddo".

1. Teiwaz

20 Hours???

I fold.

I'd have nodded off like 16 hours before that.

22. Gartal

A new problem?

I seem to recall Samuel Pepys had problems with the theatre. Really all they are saying is that excess is excessive. One must Om or something and take the road less travelled, the middle one. Then you can be fat and sad and not subject to studies by people who live in a car in Texas.

The Burning Question of course is how do you get sufficient `scientists' into an Austin to perform a decent job.

23. Fluffy Bunny

Publish or perish

You have to publish or perish. It doesn't even have to be good science, just have a title that looks good on your resume.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Publish or perish

I vote perish.

24. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

This *is* news!

Ignorant anti-intellectualism and misrepresentation of research from the Register, courtesy of Lewis Page?!! I am astounded.

25. Platelet
    Holmes

Research discovers those who lacked the ability to control themselves were more likely to binge...

No Shit

26. justmakingacomment
    FAIL

Logic?

"Spent the weekend watching Game of Thrones? You're a FAT LONELY SADDO"

Umm, not really. The study said only that "saddos" tend to binge watch. It doesn't follow from that that if you binge watch you're a saddo.

I know it's supposed to be tongue-in-cheek, but c'mon people! Techies are supposed to be good at logic!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon