back to article The Pirate Bay clambers back online after cop raid sunk site for 7 weeks

Torrent search engine The Pirate Bay is back online weeks after a police raid on a Swedish data centre sunk the copyright-infringing clearinghouse site. Administrators behind the infamous site had promised to bring TPB back to life today, however it crept back online on Saturday, as first reported by file-sharing blog …

1. imanidiot Silver badge
    Trollface

And so

the game of whack-a-mole continues.

Atleast the "content owners" had 7 weeks of massive profits right?

1. Haku

Re: And so

Yes, and especially since in Norway the amount of under 30's pirating music has dropped from 70% in 2009 to 4% now.

I mean it has to be true, nobody lies in surveys do they?

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Every generation has the music it loves and grows up with, mines was the Doors, Pink Floyd, Bowie, Black Sabbath, Leonard Cohen etc etc etc the list goes on and on....

Unfortunately today's generation got Fubarded by the record industry... Miley Cyrus and Justin Beiber.... Do people really want to pirate that...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

http://www.progarchives.com/top-prog-albums.asp?syears=2014#list

Not all music is Miley Cyrus and Justin Beiber, and you will find most of the albums listed on ProgArchives are available on TPB (or VK.com... or... the list goes on).

Sounds like the only person getting Fubarded here is you.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Doors, Pink Floyd, Bowie, Black Sabbath, Leonard Cohen etc etc etc

You forgot Modern Talking

2. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Who pirates music anymore? The music producer caved, and we can find anything we want for dirt cheap and DRM free all over the internet from legit sources?

Pirating is for TV, textbooks and sometimes movies. You know, those mediums where the copyright holders have refused to provide what's requested in a form that isn't a massive burden to their legitimate users and where the copyright holders insist on not only charging exorbitant amounts, but want you to keep rebuying over and over and over?

Give the people what they want in a format they want to consume, at a price they can afford and holy fucking shit it turns out that you can compete successfully against "free".

2. Andy Tunnah

Why bother

If public torrents are your thing, just stick with btdigg.org, it's a search engine for DHT. Whenever I've been looking for something ridiculously rare or ancient, I always end up finding it on there.

1. frank ly

@Andy Tunnah Re: Why bother

Blocked by Virgin Media - sighs. It's ok, there are quite a few pebbles on the beach.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: @Andy Tunnah Why bother

Just install "zenmate" plugin for chrome..... bye bye virgin block

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's all good

More crims to go to pokey, soon. Some fools never learn but they will get an education while in prison.

1. Danny 14

Re: It's all good

A very good sentiment, I hope the wanker who stole my classic gpz900 last year goes to prison; i'm all for criminals getting sent down.

1. John Tserkezis

"stole my classic gpz900 last year goes to prison"

You do know we're not talking about the same thing don't you? Unless you were suckered into it by the "anti-piracy" (you wouldn't steal a car...etc) message on DVDs, of which ironically, very ironically, the background music was also "stolen" - er excuse me, "borrowed".

1. Robin

> the "anti-piracy" (you wouldn't steal a car...etc) message on DVDs,

We've probably all seen this several times before, but another go can't hurt :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuxO6CZptck

1. DropBear

...of course I didn't need to check the link. This is starting to devolve into that anecdote where a bunch of people sit around and one goes "you know that joke about..." - massive laughter, then another goes "and that other one about..." - people are already rolling on the floor, etc...

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Surely this one is more appropriate?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeTybKL1pM4

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
              Thumb Up

I would like to see that advert replace the usual one :)

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

he was being ironic, John.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

"he was being ironic, John."

Sounded more sardonic to me, but maybe that's just me :)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The day...

Things are priced appropriately is the day pirating dies. Keep charging me ridiculous rates for a new film or game and I'll keep pirating.

One firm on Steam, name eludes me, ran one of their new release games at sale prices and said they made more money in a week at sale rates than the projections for a lifetime spent at full rate.

People don't really want to steal but in this day and age development companies and film studios need to give us a reason not to.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The day...

"Things are priced appropriately is the day pirating dies. Keep charging me ridiculous rates for a new film or game and I'll keep pirating."

For some people any price is too much - unless it's their own work of course.

1. Tom 7

Or you could just claim to have seen it and say how shit it is. That way you dont have to even feel the slightest bit guilty and successfully stop the rip off merchants making a few sales.

2. ender

> Things are priced appropriately is the day pirating dies.

For me, the price isn't that much of a problem - it's convenience. I don't mind paying for content (as my library shows), but when I pay for something, I want to read/watch/listen to it on my own terms, not on somebody else's (and unless I'm paying a really tiny amount of money, I expect to keep the content forever, not until somebody decides that it's not economical to keep the servers running).

5. Captain DaFt

Obligatory Oatmeal

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/music_industry

and

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/game_of_thrones

Things like iTunes and Netflix show that people will pay if you let them. Restricting who and when you sell to is the biggest cause of 'piracy'*.

*Pbltpblt, it's called file sharing, you numptys, and it's as old as computing, and it is not going away as long as it's the only way for people to get what they want or need.

1. Haku

Re: Obligatory Oatmeal

I must spend more time viewing Oatmeal's witty scrawls, for the few I've seen are great, I've spent a good time viewing XKCD's and I like plenty of those.

Oh and that 2nd link reminds me, I must check out this "Game of Thrones" thing everyone on the internet seems to praise...or take the piss out of.

1. Kiwi
        Childcatcher

Re: Obligatory Oatmeal

Oh and that 2nd link reminds me, I must check out this "Game of Thrones" thing everyone on the internet seems to praise...or take the piss out of.

I suggest you check out the South Park pisstake first. Might be a warning or few in there you need to know about...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Everytime you Torrent....

....a record industry exec goes without the latest BMW for a whole week!

1. John G Imrie

Don't Download This Song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGM8PT1eAvY

7. Unep Eurobats
    Headmaster

Sink sank sunk

The past tense of sink is sank. The ship sinks; the ship sank; the ship has sunk. (This irregularity is quite uncommon; wink, for example, behaves perfectly normally, though it could be quite funny to persuade someone otherwise.)

OK, pedantry, but no more boring than the tired old rehash of the copyright debate going on above.

8. AbelSoul
    Happy

@ Unep Eurobats

+1 for winks-wank-wunk bringing me my first smile of the day.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As ye sow...

...so shall ye reap. The original TPB owner's had to go to prison and pay large fines. Evidently the current operators need the same enlightenment if they insist on hosting copyright protected works.

1. Peter Simpson 1
      FAIL

Re: As ye sow...

You do, I'm sure, realize that TPB hosts nothing, except pointers to trackers which act as connection points for people wanting to share?

TPB is two levels of indirection away from the actual stuff being shared.

10. Anonymous C0ward
    Pirate

Do what you want, 'cos a pirate is free

You are a pirate!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like