back to article RM has been schooled: Sales fell by over £69m in fiscal 2014

The downward pressure on school budgets, the shuttering of the PC production line and the shift from reselling hardware sucked almost £70m in sales out of education supplier RM last year. The company reported turnover of £202.5m for the fiscal 2014 ended 30 November, down more than 22.5 per cent year-on-year, with the …

1. Stuart 22

Blow a Raspberry then!

Hopefully the reduced budget has been shifted to those cute little boxes that get kids intimately involved in hardware and software to get probably better payback from future careers in IT development in the years to come.

From someone who always found the RM choice extremely underwhelming and aimed at adults, not kids, oh and the past rather than the future.

2. TechnicianJack

Hardly surprising

After working in a school and experiencing RM's Community Connect software managing a network, I'm hardly surprised that they're losing money. At the time, I worked in two schools, both part time around my university. One had a 'vanilla' Windows environment and the other had RM CC4. The RM system was incredibly unreliable and often failed to perform basic tasks. Endless hours were spent on the phone to support, who would spend ages remoting into the servers to fix problems that shouldn't exist in the first place. By the end of my employment there, the school had taken on my recommendation to invest in a fresh vanilla Windows network to replace RM, and were impressed with how much better it was. Not to mention that they saved loads of money, as RM's services are surprisingly expensive.

1. Lee D Silver badge

Re: Hardly surprising

I've spent a good portion of my career as an independent IT guy (I hate the word consultant) going into schools, removing the RM-specific stuff and giving them a group-policy equivalent that's easier to manage and MUCH cheaper. The dirty sods even do things like license a particular font that they put into butchered-versions of MS Word (that talk to you and all sorts of stuff) so when you move on, you either have to pay a fortune for a licence for the font or change all your old documents (and, sorry, but the font is horrid - but teachers love it for reasons I cannot fathom).

CC4 was the death-knell for me. I spent more time pulling schools from it than I ever spent managing it and the timing coincided with me going to full-time stable work in the same sector. I once took down an ENTIRE school network, clients and servers, by deploying an "CC4 package" (a msi with particular paths for particular things) with a space in the filename. I kid you not. No warnings, nothing. They updated the software to stop that happening eventually but that just shouldn't even be possible.

I went full-time for a school that I'd helped abandon RM (first formatting the RM kit and servers to re-use them as proper plain Windows - the speed up was so immense it was embarassing, and zero lost functionality - and then to new / extra servers clients with the money saved over the course of the year, even with my wages). From there, I moved further through primary, secondary, state and independent and ended up where I am now - in a school that stated in interview that they hated RM and would never touch their stuff again. Not the first school I'd heard that, by a long shot.

That RM was losing money on that hardware - well, that was just schools waking up to the fact that they were selling cheap junk for overbloated prices. The official RM support stories I have could turn your mind to jelly. They knew the capacitors suffered rot on a particular model of motherboard. Their solution? Issue you with a network card (the first thing to blow was the on-board networking). When the problem crept to the USB, they gave you a USB PCI card. Then a PCI graphics card. And only THEN did they tell you to scrap the machine because the caps were going to blow the machine up. Their engineers knew the sequence off by heart, they'd dealt with it so much on that model and would have the next card ready for you. Rather than REPLACE the damn motherboard.

Their software and online services are their only saving grace (didn't they buy Ranger years ago?), but even there they're being pushed out of the market. The one piece of software of theirs that I love (as a mathematician) is RM Maths. As an IT guy, I hate it.

I also have had PC's shipped direct from RM with no motherboard jumpers (just beep-beep-beep on turn-on, and not even rattling around inside the case, literally not present at all). One school had sent back three PC's repeatedly over the course of a year and still weren't working. On a pseudo-interview to work for them, I spotted them and asked about them. They have been verifiably back to RM several times for "repair" and each time came back broken. I asked if I could take a look. Turned it on. "CMOS Checksum Error". I kid you not. Sent one of the teachers to the local shop for a pack of CR2025's, those three PC's worked flawlessly (as possible for RM stuff) for four years. I literally got offered the job on the spot.

Let's not even mention the Borough-lock-in that they negotiate so that entire swathes of schools are told they can ONLY be supported on RM equipment and nothing else. Didn't stop me making a career from taking on those schools not willing to play ball with such monopolisation, in fact it just made me more popular.

But RM? Total shower.

(Offtopic: I was talking to a guy the other day who designed the RM Nimbus and, as part of that, the M in the RM logo. Interesting guy, but even he was so disillusioned with RM that he mocked them even though they had paid his pension long ago and he is now making a nice career selling 3D printers to schools and lecturing at a university while the RM pension keeps him in funny hats).

1. Paul 25

Cor, you needed that rant didn't you? :)

I only experienced RM as a student, or helping out my mum's village primary, but even I knew they were crap.

I was pretty stunned to discover they were still around. I think the LEA lockins they did were a big part of it. I wonder if the switch to academies has has screwed them by freeing schools from that kind of thing?

2. Stuart Castle Silver badge

I work for a Uni. We used to have some RM ones (see http://www.mapleuk.co.uk/refurbished-rm-one-computer---ascend-1010b---17---grade-b-925-p.asp for an example).

My boss called us in the office saying he had found an all in one P.C. that was as near as an iMac. Then the RMs arrived. I have happy memories of the RM Link machines (showing my age there) so I really wanted to like the machine. Then I saw one and my heart sank.

The Monitor is clearly bought in as it had a VGA cable in the connection bay on the back of the machine, as well as a separate power button and input selector (although only the aforementioned VGA cable was actually accessible). The other problem with the monitor was that the graphics card (the motherboard had no on board graphics) only had a DVI output. This was also in the connection bay, so the machine needed a VGA/DVI adaptor to work. Space in the bay was already limited by the bloody great bolt the machine needed to be used if you wanted it secured, so space for the other connections (keyboard, mouse, USB, power), and while none of these connections required a lot of space, the design of the PC made it fiddly to fit these cables.

Then I used one. There was no problem with RM bloat as we replace any OS on the machine with our own image anyway, but the machines were not fast, not nice to use and failed staggeringly regularly. With or without the correct drivers.

Say what you like about Apple, but the iMac is a very neat (and well designed from a usability point of view) all in one machine.

3. RyokuMas
        Thumb Up

+1 for an awesome rant

2. Jimboom

I agree. Having worked in education sector I recall RM being the bane of most peoples existence.

I recall once that my manager asked me to see if we could offer a "replacement" for RM as one school requested us to investigate the option.

With a few simple domain policies I could pretty much replicate the restrictions side of RM software.

I remember when the Ranger software came out I was ever so hopeful that it would de-throne RM... but then they went ahead and brought it up never to have it heard from again. Perhaps if they didn't focus on scuttling the completion by buying it up and instead on making a decent, good value product, then they wouldn't be in this state... but that does not seem to be the RM way.

3. returnmyjedi

They've been in decline since they stopped publishing Martello Tower.

4. andy bird

them where the days

Any one who worked in school IT back in the day owe something to RM.. either fixing their crap or maintaining it..

as for "and, sorry, but the font is horrid - but teachers love it for reasons I cannot fathom" the Sasoon font had an A that looked like a handwritten A (the way teachers like it to be written)

5. Terry 6 Silver badge

Sassoon Font

FWIW it's a replica of the handwriting font designed by Rosie Sassoon, the guru of handwriting.

Whether teachers should try to replicate handwriting on a computer is up for discussion.

But that's why it is there.

I didn't realise it had an expensive license.

There have been copies of Sassoon font all over the place for years.

1. Lee D Silver badge

Re: Sassoon Font

Font licences are no different to anything else.

Just because you can download it for free doesn't mean it's licensed.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like