back to article Intel brings Broadwell to businesses with 5th-gen Core chips with vPro

Intel is pressing onward with its line of fifth-generation Core processors, with the general availability this week of versions of the chips tailored for enterprise customers. The chipmaker launched its "Broadwell-U" line of Core chips earlier this month with a set of 14-nanometer CPUs aimed at mainstream desktops and laptops …

1. Ragequit
    Pint

Wake me up..

Wake me up when the 14nm low power SoC chips roll off the line. Or I suppose when mainstream Intel Mb's and processors have enough PCI-e lanes to have more than a couple slots. Cheap LPDDR4 would be an added bonus but that's not intel.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Wake me up..

14nm is around 75 Silicon atoms across.

We can build machines in massive quantities for a few $ each that have parts small enough that we need to worry about how many atoms.

We did this about half a century after inventing the field of semiconductors.

Isn't that just fscking amazing ?

and we use it to watch cat videos .....

1. Ragequit

Oh, don't get me wrong I do think the pace at which we arrived at something so small is quite an achievement. I don't know if it just comes with age or if I've gotten a bit cynical about cat video upgrades. Probably both. It's just a shame that we're slow to come up with ideas on how to use it all.

Which is ironic because I sit here and look forward to graphene, silicene, and a bunch of other tech that blurs the lines of traditional hardware. But what will I be doing with such tech if it ever comes out? Playing games, managing data, and watching cat videos.... faster.

...or maybe I'll be losing touch with reality using AR gear that has processing power that rivals today's super computers and runs off a battery that lasts 150 years between zero point energy recharges.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Sorry - I'm an optics engineer. Printing a pattern with details 1/40 the wavelength of visible and repeating the pattern accurately over an 18" wafer for 100 layers is definitely on the tricky side.

2. PleebSmash
      Trollface

#HoldOutForSkylake

Just because a technical achievement is amazing doesn't mean I'll stop being a cheap bastard.

2. gregthecanuck

Meanwhile Intel's price gouging continues.

Their prices are never reduced once a chip comes out. Been watching their price lists for a while now. Since AMD has become not quite so competitive Intel has pretty much owned the medium to high end and it shows. Not impressed.

3. Mikel

But what does it do for you?

I'm afraid processors for desktop PCs had far surpassed my needs 15 years ago, and I've accumulated no new needs for them since that would require more performance. These new pocket things are nice though.

4. A Ghost
    Facepalm

Decisions, decisions...

I've been looking around for a new chip to OC.

I took a 2.6GHz i5 up to 3.6GHz at stock temps with air cooling. I ran every test under the sun - prime95, OCCT, LINPACK and it passed with flying colours.

The trouble is now, the new chips aren't much faster than the older chips, and there is temperature differential to be taken into consideration as well. I guess that is why some older, slighty slower chips cost more than newer ones.

I'm looking at the i5 again. Would like to spend not more than 150 quid unless I really have to. I'm looking for a good overclocker and would be happy with anything that could take me up to over 4GHz comfortably, with added air cooling of course.

Any advice?

I'll probably trawl the OC forums again and work it all out, but there seems to be a bit of 'meh' there as well. Hence me posting this here. I know I can build a system for the same price as the old one (2010) and have it run a comfortable 1GHz more on four cores, but what bloody chip? The prices seem to be fluctuating quite a bit too since new year.

There again, I could just buy a Dell for 300 quid and pray to the great computer god. Lot less hassle. Lot less fun though. I don't mind waiting a while, but chips don't seem to be getting much faster, and they certainly aren't getting any cheaper. From my humble perspective anyway. Always happy to be corrected by those that know a bit more...

1. Brandon 2
      Pint

Re: Decisions, decisions...

Asking advice from elReg commenters? You're a braver man than I.

For what it's worth, I OC'd my 2500k from 3.6 to 4.2 Ghz... didn't really see a benefit... went back to stock. If the mainstay of my time at the computer was waiting for photoshop or premier pro to process something, then I'd probably OC it... but as it's spent watching cat videos and now playing Dying Light, the difference isn't enough to warrant the time spent troubleshooting inevitably related to OC-crashes.

1. A Ghost

Re: Decisions, decisions...

I looked at that chip, it was more expensive than the no.1 best seller on amazon fwiw - 4790K or something.

You're right about OC'ing, it's not really worth it unless you're seeing the best part of a GHz or thereabouts. I did spend a long time testing my system and it's been rock solid ever since. I do audio stuff so I really need those cycles. I do 3D rendering as well, so you know... Like Tesco say...

I may not even end up building a system. The guy that said about the Intel gouging was right I think.

I'll probably draw a balance and see if I can pick up a chip like yours, and just do a build from another generation back or so. But why the older chips are more expensive than the newer ones, I still need to figure out. Some of them were going for silly money as well. Oh well, I guess they are proven Overclockers.

cheers.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like