back to article Yahoo's! Mayer!: We'll! spin! off! $40bn! Alibaba! stake! and! pay! ZERO! tax! on! it! Ha!

Yahoo! has announced plans to sell off all of its remaining stake in Chinese online giant Alibaba, even as its latest earnings report shows a company struggling to pull in revenue on its own. The Purple Palace said on Tuesday that it will spin off all of its remaining holdings in Alibaba – some 384 million shares worth an …

1. Mark 85

Gee.... no mention of Icahn or Elliot or "activist investor".

They're breaking up the company as certain investors would do... to help shareholder value, etc. I guess the board learned from the master asses and want to cash out their shares and retire?

1. agricola
      Boffin

Re: Gee.... no mention of Icahn or Elliot or "activist investor".

""... I guess the board learned from the master asses and want to cash out their shares and retire?..."

Y'a think?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is the best way to handle it

Some shareholders would want to sell now because they think Alibaba is a bubble that will pop. Others will want Yahoo to hold onto it as it may continue to go up. This frees the shareholders to choose to do what they want with their share of the Alibaba holdings.

Yahoo management won't have to worry about stock incentive plans for themselves or employees that are almost entirely aligned with the fortunes of Alibaba, where their own contribution to success or failure of Yahoo's business has almost no impact.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sounds good

Despite the general skepticism about Yahoo, I think the parts are worth more than the sum… Or at least what the market thinks is the sum.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

So....

...what do they have left?

Yahoo home page is the Daily Star of the internet, where the "news" seems to consist of what Kim Karadashian had for lunch or what happened on yesterdays Big Brother. The comment section is inhabited by those to stupid to read the Daily Mail or the Sun.

Flickr is good, but falling in popularity due to Facebook.

Yahoo mail, just constantly wants you to install IE, even if you are using IE, mainly because the 50% of the screen appears to render the adverts better.

Then there is errrrr....

It simply now the gutter press end of the market.

5. launcap Silver badge
    Boffin

'goodwill impairment'

Always seemed an utterly imprecise measurement to me (much like stock analysts predictions but even less based on reality).

How are they actually calculated? Are they? Does it just get made up by a management accountant after a heavy night of tequila and coke?

Inquring mind etc etc

6. Shannon Jacobs
    Holmes

Stock markets have a well known bias against reality

Market cap is based on stock price, and stock price is a matter of opinion. Therefore, it's all smoke and mirrors, creates nothing, and the wisdom of today's stock market is best compared to a soap bubble. Just a timing game.

Can I convince some other sucker that this share is worth more than I paid for it before both of us realize it's worthless?

7. agricola
    Boffin

What's wrong with seeking diversity--at any cost--in the high-tech industry?

How is this lack of ability to see beyond the end of one's nose any different than Ford's selling of Jaguar, when Jag was Ford's only profitable division; or the US government's (sometimes laughably-stated-openly) argument against building the Keystone oil pipeline as "...we don't need it, what with the price of oil being so low..."!{!!!}

No difference.

Just proves--again--Mayers' continuing lack of ability as a corporate leader.

8. agricola
    Boffin

El Reg: you answer your own questions with your comprehensive reporting.

Title of one of El Reg's articles today:

"Does Big Tech hire white boys ahead of more skilled black people and/or women?

Drop the words "more skilled". The answer provided by this article is obvious.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like