back to article Keylogger: Somebody STOP ME! Oh hang on, I just did

Developers of a range of commercial keyloggers have switched sides and begun marketing anti-keylogging technology. SpyShelter’s founder and lead developer, Janusz Siemienowicz, went from poacher to gamekeeper after discovering that none of the major security applications were able to detect and block against their own …

1. Pen-y-gors

Someone else

crossed off the GCHQ Xmas card list - unless they've left in any backdoors of course.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Someone else

You can now pack a full keylogger with a xmitter into the USB plug. Ditto the wiring of a mobile keyboard. Even on the most consumer-unfriendly monobodies, the keyboard is still easily replaceable in under a minute worth of physical access.

So the guys that really need to log do not need to bother with a software keylogger in the first place.

Dunno about four (and 3) letter abbreviations, but most sane companies working in the security sphere (this is one place where Sony failed abysmally) will issue disposables scrap any computer that has been to China, Russia and a few other places like that.

2. silent_count

Re: Someone else

That's just it! It sounds like the opening line for a joke...

A malware writer walks into a bar and says, "Trust me, guys. Install this. It'll be good for you."

2. adnim

Create a disease

sell the cure.

Go one better .... sell the disease before creating the cure.

Awesome!

/end sarcasm

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How can they be sure theirs is the first software to intercept the key presses?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I knew you were going to ask that

4. sam 38
    Angel

I'm not a nefarious evil clown developer or anything, but I created a keylogger a few months ago, and neither Malwarebytes nor our IT company (specifically challenged) were able to find it on the network.

And if it's that easy and that undetectable then there's a massive market for detection/prevention which these guys are right to set themselves up in.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

QFX

keyscrambler.

Used it for years and had no problems. Just another tool in the arsenal to help keep my keystrokes obfuscated....

1. JCitizen
      Coffee/keyboard

Re: QFX

It will pass some of the AKLT tests but not all of them. However IBM endpoint can take care of the rest. I might try the test kit on SpyShelter, I haven't used it in years. I use QFX when I'm not in an SSL session, or the browser is closed. Rapport cannot protect you, or doesn't claim to, then. There is still screen capture and/or video capture though. It would be nice to block that all the time; a good HIPS is all you can do to hopefully fill in the gaps in a blended defense.

7. Bucky 2

What was that book...?

It involved a protection racket that made business pay for fire insurance, or else they'd burn the place down.

Business owners proved even more corrupt, and burned their own places down, driving the racketeers to bankruptcy with insurance claims.

Don't know why this article made me think of racketeers, though.

8. herman

Basically everyone now needs a dedicated keyboard with encryption built in so that a simplistic key logger will only log gobbledygook. Then you can use a different keyboard for each application. One for Excel, another for Word...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon