back to article Facebook, Instagram, Tinder TITSUP*: HOW did anyone even find out?

It appears Facebook and its snap-slinging subsidiary Instagram have fallen off the web. Hook-up-finder Tinder is also reportedly having problems. As of 22.45 Pacific Time on Monday, (06.45 UTC Tuesday) the websites and apps are apparently still suffering a widespread outage, which kicked off about 40 minutes ago. Facebook …

1. WibbleMe

It the age of the cloud where your website can be hosted on any computer anywhere in the world... but apparently the whole world is the East Coast of America

1. big_D Silver badge

Except they have large server farms in Europe, for example.

2. Mark 85

I'm not sure the storm and the outage are related. However, I'd be willing to bet good money that if they were to stay down all day tomorrow (fat chance which is a pity) that in 9 months the birth rate there would peak even higher than if they stayed up and running.

Edit: I suppose it's possible that China's fiddling with the Great Firewall (see previous article here on El Reg, http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/01/26/great_firewall_of_china_ddos_bug/ might have knocked it off the 'Net. They hate FB even worse than some of us commentards so it might or might not be intentional. Yeah... this is a stretch....

3. Barry Rueger

#PrayForFacebook

As usual, Twitter is the place to be.

4. Jim Willsher

El reg is a fortune teller; it's not even 07:45 UTC yet...

5. Mondo the Magnificent
    Devil

And in other news.....

...productivity in the global workplace is at an all time high due to Facebook, Instagram and Tinder being [temporarily] off-line...

We expect the usual workplace dicking around to continue once the blizzard has left the eastern seaboard of the U.S.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I have taken a great offense to this libel.

Chris, I had important pictures of my Shih Tzu to post. She had a great time at the dog park, which you'd know if we were friends on Facebook (and if you weren't so rude! - don't expect an invite from me anytime soon) and it wasn't down. As well, I was planning on sharing a video by this underground American band called the Pixies. You might have heard of them, their hit "Head On" was covered by the Jesus and Mary Chain. I also had an extremely scathing review of this local pho place that my friends need to read, very informative, and did you know the name is "Pho King Best"? Equally as tasteless and facile as your article. I also needed to block this one chatty ex-coworker who incessantly uploads pictures of their newborn. Who wants to see that? Once is enough, people have more important things to talk about, like informing Empire that their Oscar nominations synopsis was as off the mark as their review of BOYHOOD.

Anonymous because the only people I want stalking my Facebook are nebulous government entities.

7. fearnothing

The intertubes are suggesting it's probably Lizard Squad, and that they didn't take down Twitter because "that's what [they] use to communicate"

8. RISC OS

I expect...

...that the NSA needed to install a database update.

9. Mark 85

Rats...

It's back up already.... ok... all of you that were working can go update your timeline about the bosses liked you actually working......

10. chivo243 Silver badge
    Coffee/keyboard

New Keyboard now!

There's no word on why Tinder is down, though. Presumably the FBI will turn up soon to blame North Korea.

1. fruitoftheloon
      Thumb Up

@Chivo: Re: New Keyboard now!

Chivo,

me too!!

J

11. VinceH

"There's no word on why Tinder is down, though."

Do I remember reading in El Reg's round up of dating apps recently that to use Tinder you need a Facebook account, because it logs in to try to find you friends of friends?* If so, that's the answer.

If not, I'm getting too old to be doing all this remembering stuff malarky.

* You may also therefore need friends.

12. This post has been deleted by its author

13. nematoad

Bah!

"We don't expect any other break in service."

That's a pity.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In the words of BSM Williams

Oh dear. How sad. Never mind.

15. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Alien

The Triffids could take over the world...

...because of 6 hours social media downtime.

16. Jedit Silver badge
    WTF?

Why do we care?

El Reg forums were up, weren't they?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like