back to article Hibernating NetMundial rattles internet governance world at Davos

The controversial effort by ICANN and the World Economic Forum (WEF) to devise a new internet governance body may have gone into hibernation but it is still causing ructions. The NetMundial Initiative ended 2014 on a torrid note, publicly rejected by what it hoped would be its biggest supporters. Before heading into the New …

1. Yes Me Silver badge
    Facepalm

It's all so...

...boring. When will they all realise that "Internet governance" is an oxymoron and all that can come out of this is many fine lunches and dinners. What? That's the whole point, did you say? Well I never!

2. DavCrav

"As to NetMundial's three-month consultation period, that will seemingly be led by respected internet governance academic and ICANN Board member Wolfgang Kleinwachter. The NetMundial organizers did not reveal how much they will pay Kleinwachter to lend the initiative his credibility..."

I think you meant

"As to NetMundial's three-month consultation period, that will seemingly be led by until recently respected internet governance academic and ICANN Board member Wolfgang Kleinwachter. The NetMundial organizers did not reveal how much they will pay Kleinwachter to lend the initiative his former credibility..."

Glad I can help.

1. kierenmccarthy

Not being paid

So to be fair, Prof Kleinwachter emailed to tell us that he won't receive a penny for his role. The reason he's doing it is, he told us, "academic curiosity".

Kieren

1. DavCrav

Re: Not being paid

"The reason he's doing it is, he told us, "academic curiosity"."

That's the polite translation of "shits and giggles", isn't it?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like