back to article Alabama tops US teacher-pupil sex league

Alabama sits proudly at the top of the US teacher-pupil sex league, with one school employee per 193,975 residents being "accused or convicted" of engaging in illicit relations with a student during 2014. That's according to a enlightening study by Terry Abbott - "a former chief of staff of the U.S. Department of Education" - …

1. PleebSmash
    Childcatcher

in the act

maybe Alabamians are just better at getting caught

2. Michael Thibault

Who're you kidding?

>Ohio is the stand-out state for sex with inanimate objects

That, of course, would be "for public sex with inanimate objects". And then only for those instances that caught the eye.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Who're you kidding?

Nope, guilty until proven innocent and even then , no smoke without fire.

How else can we justify the mob lynching?

2. DavCrav

Re: Who're you kidding?

"That, of course, would be "for public sex with inanimate objects". And then only for those instances that caught the eye."

There's a joke somewhere about one's partner being an inanimate object, but of course that's far too crude for anyone here.

3. Mark 85

Accused or convicted?

There's a big difference there...

1. John Robson Silver badge

Re: Accused or convicted?

Not according to the media...

And that's the "primary" source for this "res..., I'm sorry, I can't use that word. "article" (just about counts)

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

You will get a sex offender mention and lifelong inability to live within N kilometres of a school anyway.

2. Tom 35

You would think with all the snooping and tracking of emails and phone calls you would think they would have records of actual convictions someplace.

Or is this like guns were they are careful not to keep records because they don't want to know?

2. Tom 38

Nor for this lady there isn't. Must be devastating to have a child murdered, but I'm not at all sure what she wanted the police to do, or indeed what they could do, to someone who has not been found guilty of anything.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Skewed

I understand that in Alabama, and most of the others in the top five, if the teacher/student are closely related they shouldn't be counted in the study.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: Skewed

Stop this outrageous nanny state interference in family affairs!

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Oh, moon of Alabama

Show me the way

To the next little girl

Oh, don't ask why

Oh, don't ask why

For if we don't find

The next little girl

I tell you we must die

I tell you we must die

I tell you, I tell you

I tell you we must die

I don't know, why is everybody so surprised?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Happy

Re: Oh, moon of Alabama

Ahhh the Doors version, as the original was "show me the way to the next pretty boy", which is more popular in catholic schools.

1. Old Handle

Re: Oh, moon of Alabama

I think that version is fairly popular everywhere.

Don't forget most teachers are women.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Inanimate objects?

I suspect Wigan is the world capital:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/man-sex-with-postbox-wigan-8459224

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Inanimate objects?

I wonder why he was arrested? He might have been a visiting French cartoonist exercising his freedom of expression.

2. Glenturret Single Malt

It says in the article that "the victim (the postbox?????) rang the police."

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

"the victim (the postbox?????) rang the police."

This Internet of Things is getting out of hand.

6. codejunky Silver badge

meh

I think this demonstrates that the stricter the law the more people are classed as criminal. And the subjective view of an age of consent.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: meh

It's an odd law really, even if they pupil is legally allowed to consent if they aren't yet 18 then it is still considered a sex crime and you're deemed to be a sex offender.

Abuse of trust and/or poor judgement yes, giving in to temptation maybe, but you really think it's all one-way? it's unlikely.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Does it have to be a pupil they are directly teaching ?

I taught at the same university when my wife returned to do a PhD - does that make me a perv ?

1. The First Dave

Yes, Yes it does.

1. Old Handle

I don't think these laws apply to higher education. Of course criminal and perv aren't the same thing...

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: does that make me a perv ?

Nah. But posting on this article here at El Reg does.

Anon for obvious reasons.

3. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

I taught at the same university when my wife returned to do a PhD - does that make me a perv ?

I'm not aware of any state laws regarding faculty-student relationships in higher ed, but at every university I've attended or taught at, there are various regulations regarding the subject. They seem to vary quite a bit from school to school but often come down to something like "if the student isn't supervised or evaluated by the faculty member, then you're not automatically in violation, but depending on level of ick we may take a closer look".

When I received my most recent degree, my wife was the Director of Graduate Studies for the granting department. Of course she recused herself from all decisions regarding my progress. (Not that any of them were ever in doubt anyway, all modesty aside.)

2. codejunky Silver badge

I seem to have attracted some downvotes (without explanation shockingly) so I assume they havnt thought it through. At what point is someone old enough to consent? The answer varies depending on the country but here it is even more complex. In some places the profession of teaching changes the acceptable age of consent for the student. And of course when we think about students we think of young teenagers with their raging hormones and humping each other any chance they get.

So we have the subjective idea of an age of consent but in some cases if you are a teacher you are assumed to be more criminal than the rest of the population. If teachers are assumed to be more untrustworthy than everyone else (including criminals I guess) then why do we bother with schools?

1. Tom 13

Re: I seem to have attracted some downvotes

I haven't voted either way on your original post but it is self-evidently flawed. It's not simply a matter of age of consent although that is part of it. There is also the question of professional relations. We don't expect or generally accept this sort of behavior from doctors/shrinks/counseling clergy either. Hell, most places even office romances are frowned upon. There are good reasons for this as well as bad.

1. codejunky Silver badge

Re: I seem to have attracted some downvotes

But the point is some do and some dont. And oddly enough you get more breaking of the law when there is more law to break. What makes it acceptable in one state but not in another. Or another way of looking at it is what makes it unacceptable in one state but not another? Trying to rule out normal and typically acceptable human behaviour never really goes well. The aim is to rule out unacceptable behaviour. However as it is all subjective the intended aim of reducing harm goes out of its way to create victims/criminals in the process.

A complicated subject ruled over by inflexible but simple rules. As I said it does seem to imply criminality to the profession of teaching when that adjusts the rules of consent for the student.

2. Sweep

"And of course when we think about students we think of young teenagers with their raging hormones and humping each other any chance they get."

We do?

1. wayward4now

"We do?"

You bet. I remember praying for the chance. :)

3. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

So we have the subjective idea of an age of consent but in some cases if you are a teacher you are assumed to be more criminal than the rest of the population.

Legislatures pass laws for all sorts of reasons, and laws regarding possibly-criminal sexual conduct are particularly dicey, since people are often reluctant to vote against them. Looking for sweet reason in this area of the law is a particularly perverse exercise.

That said, laws and regulations regarding sexual relations between teachers and students should be based on more than simply the presumption of consent, because there are complicating circumstances. Teachers are in a position of authority, so issues of possible compulsion, harassment, and illegal incentives (eg grades as quid pro quo) have to be considered. Many people also feel that teachers can exert undo influence over more-impressionable students and so consent in those circumstances is questionable anyway. That last leads into a morass of questions in psychology, agency, liberty versus protection, etc; but it hasn't stopped some schools from explicitly referring to it in their regulations, at least.

4. wayward4now

"So we have the subjective idea of an age of consent but in some cases if you are a teacher you are assumed to be more criminal than the rest of the population."

In most states sex between "parent, step-parent, or others in a role of "parental authority" get a low grade felony, with a few years or probation. That includes prison guards and teachers. North Carolina's statute 14.27.7 is an example. I don't see how this teacher got 2nd degree though. That would mean she used overwhelming force. But, that is Texas for you.

7. jake Silver badge

Red or Blue?

Don't bother responding. We already know.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Relatives

They shouldn't even let them have their cousins in the same school.

9. Jim 59

trawled the media for "every available report of teacher-student sex nationwide".

== spent a day on Google.

The search terms and results might have been "interesting".

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

That old chestnut

Ah the "I was just "researching" teacher & under age pupil sex" defence.

10. Crisp

Of all the things that there should be a league table of...

this isn't one of them.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Childcatcher

Re: Of all the things that there should be a league table of...

Humans doing human stuff in the land of the nominally free? My care-o-meter registers 0.

It's better than getting scarred for live by the school priest for daring to mention genitalia.

Now, the league of Japan please.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Of all the things that there should be a league table of...

24 comments so far including your own prove you wrong.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Class acts in America

This guy seems to be in a class of his own -

http://www.truecrimereport.com/2010/01/charles_edward_meaux_white_sup.php

12. Squander Two
    Devil

Congratulations to the editors.

Bootnote

A quick trawl of our own archives reveals that Ohio is the stand-out state for sex with inanimate objects, with Tennessee holding its own in second place.

Sponsored: Ten Commandments of Bring Your Own Device

Hats off, guys. Hats off.

13. Colin Miller

How to lie with statistics

I notice the stats are given as school-employee-pervs per general-population, rather than school-employee-pers per school-employee.

If a state has more school-employees per general population (wherever because it has more pupils, or more school-employees-per-pupil), this will bias the stats towards that state.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon