back to article Judge to Dish Network: your Hopper's hip, it ain't no Aereo

A US judge has shot down a motion to ban Dish Network's Hopper TV streaming service under the Supreme Court's recent ruling that shut down streaming startup Aereo. In a judgment made public on Wednesday, Judge Dolly Gee of the US District Court of the Central District of California found that the Hopper service was not subject …

1. Justin Pasher

And now we know

"The difference between Hopper and Aereo, the Judge found, was that Hopper does not store content at a third-party location"

Hmmm... I wondered the exact same thing after the Aereo decision

1. P. Lee

Re: And now we know

> Hopper does not store content at a third-party location"

I wonder what happens if there is a network accelerator with de-duplication?

2. David Austin

I fancied watching some Simpsons the other day, then spent the next 40 minute trying to find a legal paid or free way to stream it in the UK.

If there is a way, they've hidden it very very well: Not on iPlayer, Amazon, netflix, FindAnyFilm. The only place that may have had it was Sky Player, if you were a satellite subscriber.

Likewise with American Dad and Family Guy.

It's like they don't even want my money. I'm taking an equivalent amount of viewing pleasure watch this judge dick fox over.

3. DropBear

"The difference between Hopper and Aereo, the Judge found, was that Hopper does not store content at a third-party location"

Too bad all those legal (and many non-legal) folks find it so difficult to take a step back and take good look at that statement to realize how utterly ludicrous that "difference" actually is.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon