back to article Brain-train kid game settles with FTC over 'unsupported' claims

The US Federal Trade Commission has struck a settlement with an educational games developer over a complaint regarding its claims about the effectiveness of its products. The FTC had accused Focus Education of loading its commercials with misleading claims that the company's software would improve the focus, attention and …

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

Research

In fairness to these guys, the lamentable quality of their study isn't too far from what actually passes for educational research.

The scientific method where education is concerned tends to be;

Think of an outcome that you want.

Set up an activity that will produce this.

Publish something in a friendly journal.

Write a press release.

My favourite example is discussed here;

https://community.tes.co.uk/reading_theory_and_practice/b/weblog/archive/2014/06/01/how-secure-is-the-clackmannanshire-study.aspx

1. Ian Johnston Silver badge

Re: Research

It really is depressing how bad most educational research is. The Clackmannanshire farce is a prime example: all it proved was that when you give a fairly small number of children intensive coaching their scores improve. Well whoop-de-flipping-doo.

Meanwhile in the real world, as synthetic phonics becomes mandatory and the publishers laugh all the way to their banks, reading ability at the end of primary school is deteriorating measurably. So much for the "all children will be three or four years ahead" guff the Clackmannanshire enthusiasts sell us.

Brain Gym is discredited. Can someone please do Mindfulness next?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Under the terms of the deal, the company will for the next 20 years be forbidden from making any further misleading claims about the effectiveness of its products"

For the next 20 years they are forbidden to do something that is illegal?

But after that it's OK to resume their illegal activity?

1. Kevin Johnston

I suspect that the FTC are not expecting them to be around that long.....charging over $200 for the game where there is probably a free equivalent online is not going to see much in the way of sales

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They should do the same over here for Omega 3 claims

1. John Tserkezis

"They should do the same over here for Omega 3 claims"

'Round here, the craze is with Krill oil. Even though studies have shown that Krill oil is equal to generic omega 3's, as far as advertising goes, you just don't see Omega3 anymore - just huge banners selling Krill.

I bet the fact it costs more has nothing to do with it...

And for those who care, I was on 20-25 (equivalent) capusules a day of omega3 (no krill in those days) with absolutely no results, and a friend on one a day with good results.

Who can spell p.l.a.c.e.b.o?

4. WalterAlter
    Pint

Merely the End of Education As We Know It

Start thinking of all those school buildings as homeless shelters of the future. Disk based education will soon be the norm, become competitive and generate better results and be far less expensive. Math, spelling, history, civics...we have a game for that. Why are kids bored at school and graduating as illiterates? Because learning is no fun. Actually there is no reason life itself can't be fun at least 80% of the time, lol! I'm gonna tell you one thing, kid...simulation.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Merely the End of Education As We Know It

Recreational drugs don't count, sry.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like