back to article Browser makers throw up drive-by download barriers

Opera has partnered with Haute Secure in a bid to defend surfers from drive-by download attacks. Haute Secure's technology will be bundled in Opera 9.5, bolstering the Norwegian firm's existing Fraud Protection technology with software designed to block malware downloads from compromised websites. Opera 9.5, codenamed Kestrel …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mike

AVG linkscanner

Its too bad that AVG's link scanner technology really slows down your browser. Specifically any page with advertising or links to other sites. Hotmail is one notable page that becomes insufferably slow thanks to link scanner. Thats why I'm not using AVG anymore.

2. John Macintyre

@AVG linkscanner

er... or you could just remove the link scanner, it's a browser plugin. Haven't checked ie, but it's in the add-on list in firefox and can easily be removed...

Still think avg is pretty decent, no reason to remove it for an addon

3. Sean O'Connor
    Go

Easy to disable

Just click on Tools | Add-ons and then disable AVG Safe Search

4. Patrick O'Reilly
    Heart

Opera

Is there anything you can't do?

5. John A Thomson
    Thumb Up

AVG Linkscanner

@Mike.... perhaps time to get better broadband. I've got true a true 3Mbps service with a decent provider and use LinkScanner without any noticeable difference. Wouldn't use the Internet without using something like LinkScanner with all the drive by download infections out on the WWW! Scary to think the bad guys are infecting legitimate website to get their crapware out onto unsuspecting user's systems.

For example, here's one from earlier this year that saw LinkScanner Pro doing the needful:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/07/forth_bridge_hack/

The bad guys have certainly got more proficient at hacking more and more websites since that incident.

6. Rupert Wilson
    Unhappy

AVG easy to configure? Insufferable Hotmail?

If you turn off anything in AVG it frowns constantly - ! ! Alert ! !

Why? I cannot fathom.

This is a fine reason to turn to Avast antivirus, and away from AVG on slower connections and slower machines.

Mike: "Hotmail is one notable page that becomes insufferably slow thanks to link scanner."

Hotmail needs no help to become insufferable.

AVG is frowning.

7. David
    Gates Horns

Hotmail

<quote>Hotmail is one notable page that becomes insufferably slow thanks to link scanner.</quote>

AVG works perfectly. Hotmail is a virus and so is Microsoft.

8. Fuion
    Joke

@John A Thomson

"doing the needful"

---> Yes, please do the needful.

9. A J Stiles
    Linux

Opera - yuk

I'll maybe think about installing Opera when I get the Source Code, and not before.

Till then, Konqueror suits me fine.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Good decision, AJ

"I'll maybe think about installing Opera when I get the Source Code, and not before."

They'll never release it. I know for a fact it has "I HATE AJ STILES" (only written backwards "SELITSJAETAHI") in the source comments.

"Till then, Konqueror suits me fine."

Graphical WWW? Pah. Gopher suits me fine.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like