back to article Afghan cellco accuses rivals of funding Taliban

Roshan, the largest mobile provider in Afghanistan, has accused competitors of paying off criminals to protect their infrastructure, pointing out that it owned eight out of the ten masts destroyed this year. The claim has been denied by competitors Afghan Wireless, Etisalat and Afghan Telecom, who say the lack of damage to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. pctechxp

Is that a Redneck pasttime?

shooting at microwave link dishes?

2. richard
    Stop

a letter from the taliban?

i'd flog that on ebay...great, they're so polite, the mafia used to trash the place first then ask for protection money.

and the FT spoke to a taliban representative? what, they just rang them up? i thought the US/UK/AN other suckers were supposed to be destroying these morons, yet the FT just rang them up after borrowing someones letter?

do they use Word templates for their letterheads, or have they gone openoffice now?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Local guards

Employing local guards is a key issue. I recall an archaeologist working in Pakistan's ethnically similar NW Frontier Province in the 80s telling me that the only way his (armed) group could get through to their site was by hiring at least one guard from each village they had to drive through...

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Shooting at stuff like signs, MW dishes, etc

Is a long-time redneck pastime. Shooting at moving railroad cars is too. Almost 20 years ago when I was working for a company partnered with Boeing, the Boeing guys told us that aircraft fuselages made in the mid-west and shipped on flatbed railroad cars, would arrive at the assembly plant in Washington State with random holes in them. The skin (pressure hull) of a modern jet aircraft is less than 1mm thick aluminum. Turned out rednecks somewhere along the ~1500 mile trip were taking pot shots at the trains. The “cure” was to start putting a somewhat bullet-proof tarp over the fuselages.

6. amanfromMars Silver badge

Iraq and Afghanistan aren't Downtown ChicksVille .... A Little Respect Please ...

..... for the Native Classes.

"Maybe the US govt is indirectly paying the tax. They love to have people chattering/emailing/faxing their secrets.

NSA already suffered dead cryptologists in Iraq and Afghanistan. Guess what they were doing down there....." .... By Frank Gerlach Posted Tuesday 10th June 2008 11:54 GMT

Pay the Tax - Take the Infidel does seems more Promising, Frank.

"Guess what they were doing down there...?" Were they helping the Indigenous Disparate Tribal Communities?

7. shaun
    Joke

i wonder........

....if the letters had a return address

8. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

wooooooo,,,, a new British pastime maybe

maybe they should do that here in Blightey

see how many shots it takes to pop the dish off(or spin it round on) a tower, or how much thermite it takes to neckace one of the mobile phone poles.

should be fun, give Capt.GATSO something else to practice on

:)

9. The Mole

I wonder.......

Which network the spokesman phone was on?

10. Glenn Charles
    Happy

'is that a redneck pasttime?'

--Medford, Oregon. Yes. (Though I don't happen to do it.)

--Glenn

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like