back to article Samsung's 850 EVO 1TB SSD appears live ... in 3D

It was only a matter of time before Samsung dropped its 32-layer 3D V-NAND (3D Vertical NAND) technology further down the food chain, following its début in the high-end 850 PRO. The result is now with us in the shape of the 850 EVO, which, just like its 840 EVO predecessor, differs from the standard 850 PRO in the type of NAND …

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Let's hope

That it doesn't disappear under heavy load like the 850Pro does.

yes really :(

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Let's hope...EVERYONE uses 4k

It will if it writes jumbo frames faster than it reads them. According to that test software, it does. I don't know much about the inner workings of disk drives, but if you verify slower than you write, you have to slow everyone down.

Considering everyone uses jumbo frames today, this shouldn't be a problem *if* everyone uses them, suggesting the 64thrd test is correct. However, if 1 person spills the punch by writing 512... Of course using 512 might be faster (didn't read that info in the article).

2. Nate Amsden

Re: Let's hope

Curious what is heavy load for you? I've been running 850 pro on my 4 year old laptop(SATA 2 only) since September and no issues. 99% of the time in linux, though I have booted to windows a few times. I wouldn't consider my workload heavy though I did notice that I was writing about 1TB/mo to the drive according to the samsung tools. Haven't checked in a month or so.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: Let's hope

"Curious what is heavy load for you?"

ZFS cache drive. There are multiple reports of this occuring.

2. jason 7

Correction!

You state 16MB for the ramcache bit on page 2. Should be 16GB I assume.

1. DuncanL

Re: Correction!

From the Samsung data sheet:

DRAM Cache Memory - 256MB (120GB) or 512MB (250GB&500GB) or 1GB (1TB) LPDDR2

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just how many people will be rushing out to buy one at that price? A few quids above a normal spinning hard disk is OK but this - humbug.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Too expensive for me really, I agree, but it's about £6 per month over the guaranteed lifespan - I guess there are some people who think they will get that much benefit.

It might potentially save 30 seconds on the daily boot time of a PC which would be 10 hours over that period if you are cold booting every week day.

Yes, I might be looking for justifications, however flimsy, for buying something that I want way more than I need.

2. noboard

Actually I was amazed at how cheap it was. I was expecting £500+ for the 1TB model. Given how quickly prices drop in it, it should start hitting reasonable in a couple of years.

4. jason 7

What we need are some video tests

Showing two machines.

Both identical except for the SSD in them.

One has say a Crucial M100 (a decent standard SSD) in it and the other whatever high flying top of the range SSD is out at the moment.

Then trigger the same tests/scenarios on both machines to see what the real world user experience is.

5. batfastad

SSD

An SSD has got to be the single best upgrade spend I have ever made. Look out for deals though. I doubt most people need higher performance SSDs like the Samsung Pros. The biggest benefit to me is just eliminating the thrashing you invariably get under Windows and even the cheapest SSD improves that massively.

I had a OCZ refurb 100GB which I picked up for £40 a year or so ago. It was SATA II but made such a huge difference, I doubt I was ever near the max of the SATA II interface. Bought a new machine which came with a newer Kingston so the OCZ went into my lab.

Just buy one, any one.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just disable Hibernation...

"... If any more proof of the endurance of V-NAND is needed then a quick glance at the TBW (Total Bytes Written) for the 840 and 850 EVO’s is all you need. The 1TB 850 EVO has a TBW figure of 150TB (works out at 82GB/day), which eclipses the 72TB of the 1TB 840 EVO."

With 24GB or RAM and a laptop that hibernates at least 6-8 times per day, 82GB per day is not really a lot...

1. druck Silver badge
      Stop

Re: Just disable Hibernation...

Why on earth is the laptop hibernating that often? Just let it sleep.

With an SSD it will boot up so fast, there isn't any need to hibernate.

1. Metrognome

Re: Just disable Hibernation...

I guess he/she does it for fear of losing power abruptly but unless the battery has come loose, I can't see a scenario where that happens.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like