back to article Firefox 35 stamps out critical bugs

Mozilla has crushed nine bugs, some rather dangerous, in the latest version of its flagship browser. The fixes include a patch for a critical sandbox escape (CVE-2014-8643) in the Gecko Media Plugin used for h.264 video playback affecting Windows machines (but not OS X or Linux). Another critical hole addressed a read-after- …

1. MJI Silver badge

Have they enabled look like Firefox yet?

Or do we still have to suffer Australis?

Still on 28 here due to it!

1. Jimbo in Thailand
      Thumb Up

Re: Have they enabled look like Firefox yet?

LOL, I tried it and hated it too. I'm back on 27.0 as it sucks less than Australis. I do think Mozilla lost the plot a long time ago. I need to get off my lazy backside (euphemistically speaking) and find a non-M$ non-Go_ogle alternative.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I'm still happy with version 12. I have tried going up to the new versions a few times but they aren't as nice as version 12. Always have a job trying to get back to it, since they don't seem to have a way to do this built in, but fortunately I keep a backup on my NAS...

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
          Facepalm

Any retreat on version 12? Maybe there's someone out there with M1 who says it all went downhill from there.

Still, I'm sure the antivirus will make up for having an unpatched browser (Norton since before the Semantic takeover I suppose).

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I use Mosaic 3.0. It's arse-backwards to use all these bloated, newfangled web 2.0 browsers, then use stuff like noscript and flashblock to block stuff. Better to use a browser that is immune to that stuff in the first place.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Yeah well, I render HTML in my imagination after reading it off a hardcopy printed off by a youngster.

I dont need a browser to show me what a website should look like.

1. illiad

shyea, riiiight.... :P :)

HTML is no longer 99% of what makes a webpage...

there's now...

browser detection, to decide what scripts are used

self-modifying code to get around various quirks from bots/ ddos users...

lots of 'temporary' pages, just to set up the scripts, activex, lookup tables...

then tons of google syndication code... and other pageranking sites...

then eventually you get the page, the title *modified* so the dumb user thinks its ok... >:(

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Still, I'm sure the antivirus will make up for having an unpatched browser (Norton since before the Semantic takeover I suppose)."

Oh ,dear, do you work for Microsoft?. You probably have Microsoft 'professional' qualifications. Clearly someone who keeps up with all the patches for bugs that might affect 1 in 10 trillion people. And those are the people working for the security companies whose livelihood depends on finding a continuous stream of holes in software.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
              Facepalm

> 1 in 10 trillion people

Spouts off.

Can't into math.

Probably has a browser bugged to hell and back.

3. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Norton since before the Semantic takeover

I hate to quibble over Semantics,1 but it's "Symantec".

1I'm lying, obviously.

2. 0laf

Yes. The only things that really keep me using FF are no-script and ad-block (and laziness). If I found another browser with those features I'd switch.

IE is too open, and Chrome, well "all your base are..." etc

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

IE is too open, and Chrome, well "all your base are..." etc

Eh? Define too open?

Chrome "all your base.."? Switch to SRWare Iron instead then...

1. Anonymous Coward
            Thumb Down

Switch to SRWare Iron instead then...

I tried it in the early days and dumped it after a few tries. As I've mentioned here before, when I logged into an SSL-secured site it made simultaneous connections to an SSL server owned by Google. Nein danke.

Companies only have to lose my trust once.

2. ashdav

Palemoon is what you are looking for..

http://www.palemoon.org/

3. BillG
        Thumb Up

I'm still on 27, too. I shouldn't have to use addons to replace functionality they took away, it's not a stable solution. Also, on or about FF32 it broke compatibility with custom toolbars we have been using since FF3.

4. e^iπ+1=0

Alternative

'find a non-M$ non-Go_ogle alternative.'

Try lynx. Works great with El Reg amongst other sites. Also, were my boss to peer over my shoulder it looks like I'm working in a terminal, rather than checking out pr0n.

1. P. Lee

Re: Alternative

>Also, were my boss to peer over my shoulder it looks like I'm working in a terminal, rather than checking out pr0n.

ASCII pr0n?

2. David Pollard

It's a bit like setting up Windows. Classic Theme Restorer makes it look more normal and easier to use.

1. illiad

Classic Theme Restorer is good, yes, but a LOT of work for something that does not quite work as quickly and easily as 'just using version 28...' :/

I use tons of extensions to make various browsing tasks easy, and also to make it 'less frightening' for those used to IE... there is SO much removed/missing from australis, it is a battle to find tons of **extra** addons, just to get what a simple version 28 install will give!!

1. Looper
          Thumb Up

illiad, try using The Add-Ons Bar (restored)

3. Dave K

I use Pale Moon as a result. A forked version of Firefox which retains the classic interface, but still receives updates and the likes. The introduction of Australis signaled the end of my usage of Firefox and its market share recently shows that I'm far from the only one that jumped ship.

2. frank ly

In the future

Will there ever come a time when Firefox (or any mass usage) software is bug free? There are, I assume, a finite number of 'lines' of code in Firefox, so if they keep fixing bugs then eventually, surely, all bugs will be fixed. Roughly when will this be?

1. Roger B

Re: In the future

It would be nice to think so, but when I started using Firefox I think it was about a 12MB download, this latest version is 38MB, so it looks like the lines of code is actually infinite!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I don't have the skills of so many commentards here, my coding was strictly amateur, and many years ago, but even I know that with that many lines and routines and branches, if you fix one thing another will go wonky.

1. Steven Raith

"but even I know that with that many lines and routines and branches, if you fix one thing another will go wonky"

And that's assuming you're not adding new features at the same time.....

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Will there ever come a time when Firefox (or any mass usage) software is bug free? There are, I assume, a finite number of 'lines' of code in Firefox, so if they keep fixing bugs then eventually, surely, all bugs will be fixed. Roughly when will this be?"

Spoken like a manager...

4. Jim 59

Unlikely. They have to constantly add more functionality to keep up with internet standards, more lines introduces more bugs...

This version seems more stable with google maps on Windows 7.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That's like saying when will the streets be free of crime and when will there be world peace.

6. DrXym

No there will be no such thing as a bug free browser.

The number of (new and existing) standards it must implement, the number of real world web sites it must work against, the performance it must deliver and the finite resources like time and money always means it will have bugs. There are also tradeoffs between keeping the user safe from harm and delivering the best browser experience, e.g. disabling JS by default would be a good security move but it would break virtually every site in the world.

The best you can hope for is that the development process does it's best to catch and fix bugs (preferably before they end up in the software) and mitigates the potential harm for those they don't already know about by providing sensible defaults.

3. Pete 2 Silver badge

newtabpage still borked

With older versions of FF (e.g. 31) when you opened a new tab you could configure the browser to show you a grid of "favourite" website thumbnails to click on. By default this was set to a 3x3 matrix - but could be changed to show more sites in more rows and/or columns, albeit with smaller thumbnails of each one.

In FF34 this feature was "improved" to fix the grid to 3x3, no matter what about:config parameter the user set. In FF35 Mozilla have applied their infinite wisdom and decided that users should want LARGE thumbnails, rather than to allow the users to choose smaller ones but more of them. So now it *is* possible to have more columns (maybe even more rows, too - but I don't have a screen large enough) but the size of each thumbnail is fixed, irrespective of the size or resolution of the screen I have.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: newtabpage still borked

Try the 'New Tab Tools' add-on.

2. illiad

Re: newtabpage still borked

fix it with.. http://speeddial.uworks.net/

4. Sebastian A

Looks like Mozilla's greatest security concern...

should be that their users are not updating due to unwanted UI changes.

Sounds very similar to what's afflicting Microsoft.

1. P. Lee

Re: Looks like Mozilla's greatest security concern...

What are the unwanted features?

I didn't like them hiding everything in the menu off on the right-hand side, but I have v35 on Suse and it seems to have a full set of menus (File, Edit, View, History, Bookmarks, Tools, Help) at the top as well.

5. 0laf

Fixed some things borked video playback on some sites

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Mac Firefox finally has HTML5 video in H.264 in version 35, which is nice.

6. batfastad

Unrelated

Unrelated but I just wish they'd stop tinkering with the UI, then trumpeting as if it's a great revolution in web browser UI, when usually it just looks like Chrome from 3 versions ago.

There's no shame in just saying, "you know what, we absolutely nailed it with Firefox 4, so we're just gonna keep that if it's ok with you?". Don't like it? Change the theme or install some addons to add/remove bits.

Also it seems loads of work goes into the integrated developer tools. I ditched Firebug after Australis arrived because it started to take about 10s to load each time. The FF developer tools are pretty good to be fair. But are they actually needed by 90% of users, probably not. In which case they should still be an addon.

And talking of bloat, a built-in PDF viewer? Written in JS? Give me a break. It's bad enough when Adobe Reader tries to pump itself into your browser. Let alone having JavaScript trying to decode a 50MB 1000+ page PDF without even asking. The answer... pdfjs.disabled;true

The next thing they're going to break in the name of becoming Chrome, is the separate search box. You might need this pref... browser.search.showOneOffButtons

I noticed that a default changed around v32/33 that stopped the DNS suffix being appended to URLs that don't have a domain extension. So if your users find that typing support or intranet into the URL bar ("awesome bar" apparently) thinking that they are going to a web address when it actually ends up googling for it, then you'll need this pref... keyword.enabled;false

I've built up quite a library of these preferences and addons since it started becoming Chrome. Still miles better than Chrome though for power users IMO.

</ramble>

1. P. Lee

Re: Unrelated

I think the pdf viewer was a response to frustration with adobe's bug-ridden viewer. Auto-executing is a way to stop the virus-vector from starting and as you mention, it can be turned off. Or you can use, "save as" in most cases.

Googling for something rather than appending random suffixes is probably a safer way to do things. The correct way would be to parse what's been entered and just hand it over to DNS which can add the site suffixes as appropriate.

1. illiad

yep, adobe went kinda mad with feature bloat, and did not add much 'usability' stuff... :(

look for 'PDF-Xchange' - A far smaller, faster and more feature rich FREE editor with a very good multi search capability!

2. David1

How about giving us a full list of your preferences and addons?

1. illiad

DailymotionVideoDownloader{1.0.6}.xpi

aboutaddons-memory{8}.xpi

AlertStopper{200.000}.xpi

All-in-OneSidebar{0.7.20}.xpi

AntVideoDownloader{2.4.7.11}.xpi

BlackYoutubeTheme{5.5}.xpi

BritishEnglishDictionary{1.19.1}.xpi

CloseButton{0.4.0}.xpi

CompleteYouTubeSaver{5.5.1}.xpi

CookiesManager+{1.5.2}.xpi

DownloadStatusbarFixed{1.2.00}.xpi

DownloadStatusbar{0.9.10}.xpi

EasyYoutubeVideoDownloaderExpress{7.32}.xpi

FasterfoxLite{3.9.9Lite}.xpi

FEBE{7.3.0.1}.xpi

Flashblock{1.5.17}.xpi

FlashOnOff{0.3.1}.xpi

FlashVideoDownloader-YouTubeFullHDDownload{6.1.2}.xpi

MozillaArchiveFormat{3.0.2}.xpi

Noia4ThemeManager{1.8.9}.xpi

Noia4{1.8.9}.jar

NoSquint{2.1.9}.xpi

pdfit{1.15}.xpi

SmartVideoForYouTube{0.979}.xpi

SpeedDial{0.9.6.16}.xpi

TabFlick{0.4}.xpi

TabMixPlus{0.4.1.4}.xpi

ToolbarButtons{1.0}.xpi

UIFixer{1.4.4}.xpi

UniversalPrint{0.4.25}.xpi

URLTooltip{1.2.2}.xpi

YesScript{2.0}.xpi

7. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Aha! Firefox-35.

Is that the F-35 that the US are so crossed with the Chinese for stealing?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Firefox stability problems?

They probably aren't caused by Firefox but some crappy extension, theme or plug-in you have installed.

Disable all your add-ons and re-enable one at time* until you find the culprit.

A base installation of Firefox is always 100% stable for me on both Windows and Linux. The only issues are extensions and that's not very often.

* I disable half of them first of all. If the issue stops then I know it's in the other half. It's bit quicker to do it this way.

1. batfastad

Re: Firefox stability problems?

The half and half trick, fondly remembered from days spent fixing peoples' Quark XPress.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Up

The half and half trick, fondly remembered from days spent fixing peoples' Quark XPress.

It's a real time saver to eliminate half of many possibilities in one go.

Many years back I took a car to the dealer to have a warped brake disc changed under warranty. The symptoms were the brake pedal "pumping" in use and the disc wear warning light going on and off. The receptionist told me it would be a long job as they had to take all the wheels off and check the brake assemblies to determine which one it was. I told them that I knew which one it was because I had unplugged the sensor cable from each brake in turn, a simple process of elimination that took less than 15 minutes. The receptionist looked gobsmacked that there was a better, faster way than following the manufacturer's bible.

1. Bucky 2

The receptionist told me it would be a long job as they had to take all the wheels off and check the brake assemblies to determine which one it was.

Since it's the brakes, it's probably not about a simple diagnosis, but more about liability.

In your case, the mechanic's probably just as happy to skip all the unnecessary steps, because you told him not to do them. Then if there's Something Else wrong, you can't sue him for not doing what you told him not to do.

2. P. Lee

>The half and half trick, fondly remembered from days spent fixing peoples' Quark XPress.

Binary searches pre-date Quark.

I remember doing them in Applesoft BASIC and I'm sure they go back way before that.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Loved the picture of the fox in the article

It really helped me understand and appreciate all the words. But to completely eliminate reader confusion, can you also add a picture of a fire as well?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Holmes

Re: Loved the picture of the fox in the article

Nice picture. Too bad a firefox is not a red fox. It's another name for the Chinese Red Panda, and looks nothing like any of the pictures that have ever been used for Mozilla's browser - much more like a cross between a very cute red puppy and a raccoon.

http://www-archive.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/firefox-name-faq.html

1. illiad

Mozilla has always chosen very different 'mascots' for its browser... the name comes from 'mosiac' and 'godzilla' - the older projects..

I think firefox may well have had military ispiration..

http://www.urbanghostsmedia.com/2013/02/firefox-what-happened-to-clint-eastwoods-soviet-super-fighter-mock-up/

fire = fast and hot

fox = military shorthand for 'missile fired'

though I guess they changed it to something softer...

1. MJI Silver badge

I also remember the use of a clip on the Beta HiFi demo tape. Sounded rather good through a HiFi

10. Looper
    Boffin

The latest FF update to v35 corrupted my FF profile...

It wiped out the store.json file under the OneTab directory in my current profile. The file had hundreds of bookmarks stored and categorised. Months of research gone with one fell swoop of FF developers "bug fixes".

I followed a VLC plugin bug report where the FF developer repeatedly put his head in the sand and refused to acknowledge that a plugin can have a different version number to a standalone application. If this is the level of developer working on FF, I will be moving everything to one of my other browser choices Lock, Stock and Barrel.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like