back to article Twitter complies with Turkey's 'national security' blackout demand – BLOCKS newspaper's tweets

Turkey has once again browbeat Twitter into censoring some of the content posted on the micro-blogging site, after being threatened with an outright ban in the country. The demand came after the Turkish government issued a court order in Adana on Thursday. According to the New York Times, officials had told news organisations …

1. Robert Helpmann??
    Childcatcher

Menace to Society

From the original quoted article: The Turkish PM described the protesters as "extremists" who were attending "organised" events led by the country's main opposition, the Republican People's Party, known as the CHP. In his world, society is best served by a single party with him in charge and no opportunity to voice disagreement of any sort. I can think of few, presumably including Mr Erdogan, who would want to be on the receiving end of that government. I certainly would not.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Menace to Society

Erdogan would like to be Stalin, but, he hasn't quite got the format!

2. William Boyle

Turkeys and other such stupid birds

The government of Turkey is not much more "liberal" than Syria or Iran. Their only redeeming point is that they are a member of the EU. Frankly, I think that is an affront to the human rights and freedom of expression that the EU is supposed to stand for.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Turkeys and other such stupid birds

"Frankly, I think that is an affront to the human rights and freedom of expression that the EU is supposed to stand for."

Frankly, I think you're right. But I have to ask, why no mention of Twitter's "compliance"? I think this whole thing primarily comes down to what you are correctly stating (IMO), but the underlying platform on which it is ALLOWED to happen should be of some notice too (even concerning to some).

I think Twitter is now taking it's steps straight from corporate response. If I'm wrong there, then surely I'm correct in stating that this is NOT the response it's USERS want. However, I'm still staking my flag in the corporate response scenario. If Twitter has to make money to stay afloat, then not all users are going to stay afloat. SNAFU, but corporate SNAFU none the less.

So, if Twitter wants to put its image out as if it is some "powerful" communication platform, it should mention that is a "powerful, yet censored" communication platform.

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Sorry, what exactly are you smoking?

Turkey in Eu is a prospect which is presently as distant as Lucipher snowploughing my street. It can happen only over France dead body and France is not alone there either.

Turkey is a member of NATO from the same days when there were 3 Fascist dictatorships in member states (Portugal, Spain and Greece) so being a member is not particularly indicative of anything as far as democracy is concerned. It was just "politically expedient" at the time.

3. TechPoint

Turkey is not a member of the EU. Only one of the 30+ protocols have been completed and no effort is being made by Turkey to complete others.

The current regime has swung so far away from the concept of pluralism and democracy that the country will join the ranks of Iran, North Korea and China in removing freedom of access to the WWW.

1. Tom Chiverton 1

Don't forget the 'no place for privacy' encryption-banning UK !

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Turkey is not a member of the EU. They are on some "membership at some remote future occasion, perhaps"-list. Some very naive "PC-people" and people like the US and their muppet, the UK, who are intent on sabotaging the EU wants the ascension process sped up. Everybody else would rather prefer the return of the bubonic plague to the return of the Turks!

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. John Tserkezis

"However, the Turkish government has vehemently denied the allegations and said that the trucks were transporting humanitarian aid to the country."

And why should the humanitarians be denied bombs, guns and ammo?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If I could see ISIS from my back garden, some guns and ammo would be humanitarian aid.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I would send them my humanitarian aid through the barrel of said guns!

5. Sir Lancelot

Erdoğan is the Prez, not the PM.

"the Turkish government led by Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan": wrong. Currently, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan is Turkey's President. Turkey's current PM is Ahmet Davutoğlu who attended the pro free speech "marche Républicaine" in Paris on 11 January 2015, joining an impressive number of other political hypocrites.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like