back to article Ingres alumnus joins DBMS scrum

Ingres originator Jerry Held has become the latest database big gun to take aim at traditional database management systems (DBMS), saying they are unsuited to cloud computing. A former senior Oracle vice president, now chairman of Vertica promoting a database it claims is - guess what - suited to cloud computing, Held has …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Sebastian
    Coat

DMBS != DBMS

just to remind you...

mine is the one with the copy of Oracle 11g in the pocket

2. John Whitehead

Would that be alumni?

Type your comment here — plain text only, no HTML

3. Mike Banahan

What the fkuc?

Alumini - is this a new term referring to those who encase themselves in tinfoil or are wearers of hats thereof?

But I know not of this DMBS of which you speak. May we be illuminated?

4. Steve Horsfield

Alumni

Isn't the singular alumnus?

5. Lukin Brewer
    Unhappy

Isn't it "DBMS" not "DMBS"?

And it's "alumnus" (singular), "alumni" (plural).

(BTW, the Oxford Dictionary says that there's a feminine singular and plural: alumna / alumnae. Who'd have thunk it?)

6. Chris Cooke
    Boffin

alumini?

I think you mean alumnus. Alumni is plural.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Oh Good.

Just what the world needs a new database manager that has limited features but uses some real cool software technology.

This sounds like technology for the sake of technology, not for any really good, sound business reasons. Well for people outside IT that is.

One hopes that this kind of architecture has been built from the ground up with security built in, oh wait it'll be build on Unix or Windows, so that's a legacy platform designed for single box use, but scaled up into a cloud, by adding stuff.

And what about latency, and systems management, is this really a better way of doing things or just, yet another industry fashion that's designed to serve one particular segment of the IT industry. I expect widespread adoption has been promised to stock holders, and that it will as many things are, be used completely inappropriately because everyone else is using it, so we must too.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

By cloud computing

I assume they mean some intangible part of the system where we don't know or understand – so ideally suited to selling to heads of big companies

9. amanfromMars Silver badge

Idol Chatter of Global Operating Devices..

"And what about latency, and systems management, is this really a better way of doing things or just, yet another industry fashion that's designed to serve one particular segment of the IT industry." .... By Anonymous Coward Posted Tuesday 10th June 2008 11:27 GMT

The Cloud is a Real Time, Dynamic Future Environment, AC, and there is no Latency for everything is Current. Although Future Facts can be Stored to Memory/Cache and passed Back down through Communications Networks so that All can Benefit from the Knowledge of what is In Store/the Future InfraStructure Being Built even as we Speak/Chat/Code..

10. Eddie Johnson
    Coat

Just remember

When *you* are in the cloud, its no longer a cloud, its just fog.

Sounds like a great place to do some computing.

Mines the slicker with the hood.

11. Rob Griffis

Sounds like Teradata

This statement is right out of the Teradata database architecture.

a "shared nothing massively parallel processing (MPP) architecture."

So it is something new? I don't think so. It is good to see at least someone addressing what the Teradata database has used for over 20 years.

This topic is closed for new posts.