back to article The Year of Living Danishly, The Internet is Not the Answer and Classical Literature

El Reg bookworm Mark Diston reviews the latest releases from the publishing world. Helen Russell discovers all that is Nordic is not noir after all, they're actually quite a content – medication optional. Silicon Valley sourpuss Andrew Keen reckons we're better off without the web or something like that. Meanwhile, Richard …

1. Chris Miller

Very little tundra in Denmark, in my experience. Are you getting your Scandis in a twist, Helen?

2. Nigel Whitfield.

Metella est mater

Metella in atrio sedet

1. Uffish

Re: Metella est mater

Matella is your mother. She said it happened in a threesome.

1. John 62

Re: Metella est mater

Little amuses, etc, but our class loved the bit where Caecilius bought a new slave called Melissa, and Metella was not happy about it. We were all sad when SPOILER ALERT Caecilius died after Vesuvius's eruption and were pissed off we found out that his annoying son Quintus survived.

Caecilius in lecto recumbit, et ceteri, etc ceteri...

3. Nya
    Pint

Bacon and beer!

'nuff said really.

4. Teiwaz

Helen Russells meisterwork

No danger of me reading this book after this review. IT also makes me consider that it should be a crime to kill a tree just to print such a book, and possibly that the author should be lobotomised to prevent them perpetrating another.

Might buy a copy for a friend if he gets offered a job with lego after he completes his Phd.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Helen Russells meisterwork

> No danger of me reading this book after this review.

Ditto. However...

> IT also makes me consider that it should be a crime to kill a tree just to print such a book,

You haven't fucking read it!

> and possibly that the author should be lobotomised to prevent them perpetrating another.

You don't know the author either.

Seeing as you seem so keen to put blind trust on someone else's opinions, may I suggest you add something about critical thinking to your reading list?

5. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Headmaster

Amo, Amas, I loved a lass

And she was sweet and tender

Amas, Amat, I laid her flat

And tickled her feminine gender...

6. Anonymous Vulture
    Headmaster

Fact checking

I could truly care less about any of the books but the fact that the reviewer throws rocks at Denmark in an attempt to be funny is more than mildly annoying. I am not a resident or citizen of Denmark but I have found it to be a very pleasant place to visit and conduct business.

Per capita alcohol consumption in the UK exceeds that of Denmark:

WHO Substance Abuse

While the per capita consumption of antidepressants is high in Denmark it is exceeded by that of Iceland.

OECD Prescription Statistics

Grammar Nazi since it is the closest to obnoxious fact checking Nazi.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Fact checking - a pedant speaks

"I could truly care less"

So you do care?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Fact checking - a pedant speaks

> So you do care?

The full quote would be "I could truly care less about any of the books", which nothing in his post berating the author for his treatment of Denmark would appear to disprove.

Presumably he does care about misrepresentations, and so should the rest of us (although in this instance I believe the reviewer was using some harmless hyperbole for the sake of entertainment).

7. jonfr

Denmark

I used to live in Denmark for two years and seven months, then I had to move back to Iceland. After one month and two weeks living in Iceland I am ready to move back to Denmark. Sadly that won't happen for a while, but I am going to make it happen in due time.

What most people don't understand about Denmark is that the culture is a bit different, since it is in Scandinavia (Denmark, Norway, Sweden) and part of the nordic countries (Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Faeroe Islands, Iceland + few others). As for the culture in Denmark, you get used to it and most people integrate into it properly.

8. LINCARD1000
    Happy

I like the Danes

....although they do sound like they're talking through a mouth filled with potatoes :-) When I was living in Norway we had to deal with the Danes quite a bit - one of our manufacturing and repair centres was located there.

They're friendly, approachable, down to Earth and most of them have a good sense of humour and don't take themselves quite so seriously unlike their more Northern Scandinavian friends.

Really miss the guys (and gals) I got to know while we were in that part of the world. Wonderful people.

9. Lallabalalla

I was there for a week, once

and so I know all about Denmark. There's industrial quantities of potatoes with everything and the beer is incredibly weak. Lovely people, too. Danish pastries and bacon, not so much, at least where I was.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Internet is Not the Answer?

OK, I'll bite; The question is, how can I get <gentleman's special interest> images on my phone while trundling home drunk on a night bus? What is the REAL answer?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In defence of "The Year of Living Danishly"

If it hadn't been written, it would not have given us such an entertaining review as offered by Mr. Diston. :-)

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So the author of "The Internet Is Not The Answer" ...

... is not so Keen about it, then?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like