back to article IT cock-up – not jihadi DDoS – fingered for French web media blackout

Several prominent ‪French news websites‬ fell off the web on Friday for several hours in what's looking like a technical failure rather than a denial-of-service attack. It was, at first, assumed Islamist miscreants had attacked the sites, lashing out in anger at press coverage of the C‪harlie Hebdo‬ killings. Le Parisien ( …

1. Mark 85

A bit of over-reaction by the media?

But earlier reports by The Independent (here) and others that "France’s biggest newspapers have been taken offline following the 'unprecedented' hacking of French websites" are well wide of the mark, thankfully.

Yeah... I think so. I guess headlines and the "scoop" before anyone else is more important than waiting for the facts. That and maybe trying to fan some flames. Reminds me of the crap a lot of so-called news site play here in the States. "Stir things up some and get more headlines...." <sigh>

1. frank ly

Re: A bit of over-reaction by the media?

I regard The Independent as a 'quality' newspaper (which is not difficult in comparison to the others) but their coverage of technical matters often makes me laugh/groan. Now that the facts are known, will there be any articles giving corrections or explanations? I doubt it.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A bit of over-reaction by the media?

Worked great for William Randolph Hearst.

2. Efros

19000 websites

was the common claim that were downed in this "cyber" attack. As far as I can see none of the mainstream 'news' sites have updated this as a screw up.

3. channel extended
    Devil

Free French speech.

Sure, the French have free speech. Until you say something they don't like.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like