back to article Young CHAP CUFFED in Blighty over Xmas Sony and XBOX hacks

UK coppers and the FBI have arrested a man in connection with the denial of service attack on Sony Playstation and Xbox systems in 2014. Hacking group the Lizard Squad claimed responsibility for the attacks last month, which caused major disruption to the platforms over Christmas. Officers from the South East Regional …

1. lansalot

excellent

Enjoy your "lolz" in prison, you pissy little miscreant.

1. Marvin O'Gravel Balloon Face

Re: excellent

Ye! Who needs a trial, just put him in the stocks and lets throw the cabbages already.

1. MJI Silver badge

Just name him and let the upset Xmas parents deal with him

2. lansalot

nice one clever clogs.. except he wouldn't be in in prison until after the trial.

That said, who am I kidding. Slap on the wrist, don't do it again, etc etc...

1. Richard Ball

or...

Hand him to the Americans. That'll be a laugh a minute for him.

Soap on a rope?

1. chivo243 Silver badge

Re: or...

@Richard Ball

I don't think he would end up needing the soap on a rope. It would be a Federal crime should he be sent over the pond. Federal prisons can be cushy depending on your crime, some are affectionately called Club Fed. This guy would probably get minimum security as it is a white collar crime, unless the prosecution wants to throw in the terrorism card. Then, it's do not pass go, do not collect $200... collect your soap on a rope at the door.

3. Stuart 22

"Ye! Who needs a trial, just put him in the stocks and lets throw the cabbages already"

Inappropriate. Send him to Bletchley Computer Museum and be required to load/unload an EDS60 disk cartridge continuously for a period not exceeding a Linux kernel's best uptime. Webcam streamed as a screensaver for our pleasure.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

For a headline I'd have gone with "Teenager who claimed to be a member of Lizard Squad and made hoax '911' calls via Skype arrested."

Given he was using his home broadband it was hardly Sherlockian detective work - and it's pretty unlikely he's a hardcore blackhat.

2. Little Mouse

Is his name Brian?

He's not a man. He's a very naughty boy.

3. Khaptain Silver badge

Today's tautogram

Childish crestfallen crim caused christmas cyber chaos catastrophy, coppers cuffed cracking chap.

1. Scott Broukell

Re: Today's tautogram

I C what you did there ;-)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sense of humour failure

Little sh*tbags stopped my kids from trying out their new playstation for 3 days over Christmas, during the time we were stuck in the house (was freezing and pissing with rain outside, and the kids were massively excited about the games we'd got them).

F*ck em and their LolZ. Who's laughing now azzhole.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mebyon Kernow!

Facinating how they were not tracked down sooner. Surely a 'l33t' crew of black hat hackers, wanted around the globe, were unwise to restrict themselves to such a remote peninuslar in cornwall. All the feds would have needed to do was set up a roadblock on the A3083, and they'd have been completely cut off from the outside world. I'm fairly amazed they have a good enough connection down there to casue much damage anyway, at least it shows that rural broadband connectivity is improving.

1. MJI Silver badge

0 for geography

The idiot was from up north in Liverpoolland. Not Cornwall.

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
        Thumb Down

Re: 0 for geography

The idiot was from up north in Liverpoolland. Not Cornwall.

I think you missed the "Lizard Squad" element of the joke...

6. tony2heads
    Trollface

DOS on XBOX and Playstation over Christmas

probably did a great service to those wanting quality family time

1. Richard Jones 1
      Childcatcher

Re: DOS on XBOX and Playstation over Christmas

I can only guess that you do not have hyper excited kids wanting to enjoy their new Christmas toys; neither do I now, but I can still remember the potential for upset.

2. akeane

Re: DOS on XBOX and Playstation over Christmas

I hope it was 6.22...

7. King Jack

Guilty before trial

So getting arrested for something makes you instantly guilty now? How do we know they have the right person? Can we not wait until his conviction in court to throw rotten fruit. I agree that the person(s) responsible should be punished but I want to know for sure. We all know the police never make mistakes... right? Perhaps more intrusive snooping laws are required. Then we will all instantly know whenever someone puts a toe wrong. /s

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Guilty before trial

Gotta bag of nice stinky rotten tomatoes ready right here ...

No, more intrusive laws are NOT required - skiddies often make basic mistakes leaving the digital mitt prints all over the crime. The only thing that stops the police from bagging most of them is that incidents are often not even reported as crimes, and even if they are the police don't have resources to investigate the many incidents incidents which occur - they focus on those in which they deem real damage to have been done.

1. King Jack

See that "/s" at the end of my comment. It means sarcasm. Which means I'm joking but your intellect is too great to realize that. So thanks for the down vote. We need cameras on all keyboards to stop humourless people posting too..

1. Khaptain Silver badge

I have seen a lot of '</sarcasm>' end tags being used on El Reg which is reasonable as reasonable goes. '/s' on the other hand is a lit bit vague, let's call it abstract in the abstract sense.

/t /f /z /k /j

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It don't matter one jot if the Yanks decide to extradite him. Once they get their hands on him, he'll be lucky so see the outside of a jail this side of 2114 if the US Attorney demands the max 99years for each crime (without parole).

8. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Is there more?

"unauthorised access to computer material"

What lies behind this? Are there suspicions of him being involved in the BIG Sony hack?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Is there more?

I doubt it. Section 1 suggests they havent got much on him. Its the bare minimum charge and probably easy to get an arrest warrant for.

If he says nothing they will be relying on the equipment they most likely seized for evidence. Which if hes smart he encrypted. Which leads to the greyer charge of witholding information...grey because you have a right to not incriminate yourself...and silence!

There are other sections covering data theft, making a computer perform an illegal act and so on.

This ne'er do well probably wont see prison unless they re-arrest him for a more serious offense if they find evidence of course.

My best guess...a caution and a police record.

9. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge

Perhaps

getting a bunch of 8 and 10 yr olds all excited about getting a new games console and games the next day, then having said pillock having to explain to them that the toy is broken because he broke it, then having to do that again to different 8 and 10 yr olds the next day and the next.... for about 2 years would be a suitable punishment.

But after a week of that, he'll end up begging to be extradited to the USA and banged up for 99 years.

Or more likely the trial will go like this

<Barrister> The defendent is accused of hacking into Sony's internet service

<Judge> Internet? whats that then?

<Barrister> M'lud, its where a lot of computers are linked up togeth

<Judge> Computers eh? what are they?

<Barrister> the machine in your office with lots of information

<Judge> Mmmm?

<Barrister> The screen on you desk that shows the women with nothing on

<Judge> Oh that!

<Barrister> and the defendant stopped a lot of people from using their computers

<Judge> Did he... well hang, draw, and quarter the little bastard!

10. Shaha Alam

"Officers from the South East Regional Organised Crime Unit (Serocu) arrested an 18-year-old man from Southport, near Liverpool, this morning."

i've always felt the term "man" sounded weird when describing an 18 year old in these circumstances.

should really call him an idiot.

11. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Facepalm

What a twit!

You've gotta love these skiddie gangs having their little online spats. I would suspect their habit of "swatting" each other just gives the cops two suspects - the swatted and the swatter - as likely cybercrims to keep an eye on. And he's 18 so proper court, prison and a criminal record for him if he's convicted, no getting off with a "joovie".

12. David Glasgow

From the Southport Visiter...

She said: "He is very quiet young man. I don't know him very well - he stayed in his bedroom a lot.

"I haven't seen the family yet but I imagine it will be a big shock.

"His mum is really lovely.

"He was a student but I don't know if he still is."

Not a surprise, I'll bet it was, I'm sure she is and I suspect not.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like