back to article Post-pub nosh neckfiller: Hot Spanish tongue action

Let's face it, anyone with any sense knows cows are far more agreeable when they're in pieces, and while throwing prime bovine bits on the barbecue is one the discerning gourmet's preferred methods of serving Miss Daisy, there are parts which, for whatever reason, have fallen from favour among Brit carnivores. We can't speak …

1. Chris Miller

Tongue not gone

Most decent British butchers stock sliced tongue - very nice with salads or in butties. You can even buy it in supermarkets. I'd draw the line at cooking a whole one yourself, unless you're planning to feed a family of ten for a week.

1. Simon Harris

Re: Tongue not gone

Cooking a whole one...

My mum always cooks a whole ox tongue for Christmas - boiled and cold pressed, a bit like this one from Delia...

Recipe.

But for post-pub nosh, I wasn't in any state for anything needing so much cooking last night - bacon sarnies were about my limit!

2. Little Mouse

Tongue butty - is that like a "Tongue sarnie"?

1. Steven Raith

Yes, but you tend to need to be quite close to someone for it to not feel weird.

Oh, wait, I'm thinking of something else. Ignore me.

Steven R

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Looks a bit too much of a mouthfull for me

See title.

Yes, I'm a meat-eater and have even enjoyed ox tongue in the past, but sometimes meat products need to be prepared and made to look "nice" by people such as butches, not the end user.

Paris, because I hear she likes a bit of meat too.

1. Lars Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Looks a bit too much of a mouthfull for me

As for looks, it's damned difficult to make food look good on pics unless you are professional of course.

1. chivo243 Silver badge
        Pint

Re: Looks a bit too much of a mouthfull for me

Cook or photographer? I'm not a photographer, but I know how to make food look damn good. You know a secret past life experiences and all.

3. Vincent Ballard

I don't think I've seen tongue on any menus over here in Valencia. Maybe it's just a Castilian thing?

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Maybe so. It's bog standard hereabouts.

4. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Coat

An oldie, but goldie

I'd never eat something that's been in an animal's mouth. Give me a boiled egg any day.

1. Grikath

Re: An oldie, but goldie

so you won't eat something that's used in going in, but do eat something that's generally known as coming out...

hm'kay... to each his own, I guess..

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
        Facepalm

Re: An oldie, but goldie

I suspect that was the point he was making :-)

5. Camilla Smythe

From The Cow Protection League.

Bestiality division.

We do wish the necrophiliacs would lay off for a while.

6. Irony Deficient

over Leftpondia way

Any delicatessen deserving of the name will sell tongue (usually pickled, occasionally corned), from which delectable sandwiches can be prepared.

7. Eddy Ito

"if you have a personal fave"

Since you asked.

Chicken hearts (halved or quartered), ginger, garlic, sliced leeks (into rings not the long way), saki, cayenne or Thai chillies and sesame oil. Mince equal parts ginger and garlic, add to saki and chicken hearts, allow to marinate for an hour or two. Saute leeks, saute hearts with chillies - salt and pepper to taste. Serve hearts on a bed of leeks or stir fry the whole lot in one go. Optionally, chopped streaky bacon makes a nice addition.

8. razorfishsl

You should not be frying with olive oil........

It is NOT healthy, in fact it is downright dangerous.......

1. Sir Sham Cad

Re: frying with olive oil

It is the healthiest of the oils to fry with and is not dangerous to human health at all. Unless you stick your head in a bucket of it and drown.

Would you care to share the science behind your position?

Allow me to share some of mine:

http://scienceornot.net/2012/09/15/is-it-safe-to-cook-with-olive-oil/

http://healthimpactnews.com/2014/myth-buster-olive-oil-is-one-of-the-safest-oils-for-frying-and-cooking/

Christ, even Fox "News" takes a step backwards from this claim.

9. Simon Bacon

Suggested improvement

Some people find the slightly spongy texture a problem. This can be improved by pressing the tongue, placing a weight on top of it while you rest it overnight.

Re: Suggested improvement

Interesting. Duly noted.

10. Triple-J

Not quite Spain...

Tongue tacos are available in Las Cruces, from some of the more traditional taquerias. The meat is sliced thinly so the texture isn't too bad. Slap some pico de gallo on there and you're good to go.

Re: Not quite Spain...

Mark me down for one, to accompany a nice bowl of menudo.

11. Sweep

"Fry tongue to seal"

You do know that "sealing in the juices" is a load of bollocks, right?

Re: "Fry tongue to seal"

I think it's more a case of "to stop the bloody thing falling apart during boiling".

1. MSLiermann

Re: "Fry tongue to seal"

I cook tongue fairly often, as the kids like it, and have yet to had one fall apart while cooking, and I never fry to seal. Are you perhaps boiling very vigorously?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon