back to article Please use TWO HANDS to access AdultFriendFinder

Four hosts are behind one in two typosquatting attacks against the top 500 websites, research has found. The hosts and their fellow fraudsters had registered domain names mimicking three-quarters of the internet's 500 most popular websites, say University of Leuven researchers Pieter Agten, Wouter Joosen, and Frank Piessens, …

1. joeW

I had noticed this

NoScript saved my arse a few times when I mistyped the URL in question. What happened to my arse when I typed the URL correctly however is between me and the gods...

1. Stuart 22

Re: I had noticed this

I assume in the UK the victim may be able to take action as 'passing-off'. Does the US have similar legislation? I would have thought it worth ago using the DRS of Nominet if the offender is a UK domain. Trademark law may also give some comfort. Where are the lawyers when you need'em?

2. Cliff

www.therefister.co.uk

C'mon, we've all done it!

1. Russell Hancock

Re: www.therefister.co.uk

Sorry, not done that one - mine is always theregsiter.co.uk - and that's even with two hands! heaven knows what it would be with one hand!

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

That brings to mind images of goatse

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Well the article did help in priming that thought: "TWO HANDS." Unfortunately, I had just eaten.

3. Dr Paul Taylor

bank security

"Two of the three banks in the top 500 list did not use defensive typosquats"

No, who who have thought that such a thing could happen?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: bank security

Say wait a minute, perhaps someone should register every domain name they can think of, just in case you type whatthefuckbank instead of Barclays

Stupid still is as stupid does, learn to spell in English not 'mercan

And if any site is stupid enough to pay "referral" fees, then not our problem

4. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Trollface

Other typing artefacts

Missing a letter can cause you trouble too. Like paying for something on eBay and finding that you've made a donation to the Vatican instead.

5. Robin Bradshaw

Ill show you mine :)

http://gogle-analytics.com/

Typos in where you load scripts from is another possibility :)

If anyone wants to try to get todospelaeducacao/clubviaggi to fix their sites be my guest I failed miserably to contact them.

1. Crazy Operations Guy

Re: Ill show you mine :)

And this would be why I install NoScript before anything else when installing a new browser. Beside, I block google-analytics whether is spelled incorrectly or not, I'm not donating precious processor cycles running tracking scripts just so that Google can get richer.

6. Pen-y-gors

Name names!

Who are these four dodgy hosting providers?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like