back to article CIA exonerates CIA of all wrongdoing in Senate hacking probe

A review panel has tossed aside accusations that the US Central Intelligence Agency hacked into computers used by Senate aides investigating the torture of terror suspects, saying the CIA did nothing wrong. The CIA has been criticized by several lawmakers – in particular, Senator Diane Feinstein (D-CA), who chairs the Senate …

1. ratfox

"It was a mistake to do it, but we did nothing wrong."

Doublespeak at its finest.

1. Ole Juul

Re: "It was a mistake to do it, but we did nothing wrong."

I would actually call it double speak at it commonest. Deny, deny, deny, is standard criminal behaviour, so regardless if these guys are criminals or not, they're at least aligning themselves with the methodology.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> "It was a mistake to do it, but we did nothing wrong."

I read it as: "Yes, we broke into these computers but our lawyers tell us that's not a crime."

3. Oninoshiko

It was more, "It was a mistake to do, but it wasn't intentional."

I still don't believe it.

2. Vector

Make that was the chair...

That D behind Senator Feinstein's name means she lost the chairmanship of the committee with the opening of the 113th congress. Republican Richard Burr is now the chair.

1. Joe User
      Mushroom

Re: Make that was the chair...

And here I thought the "D" stood for "Dipshit"....

3. PleebSmash
    Thumb Down

again and again

Tax dollars paid for the CIA to exonerate themselves.

4. goldcd

Bless

You've really got to admire their cojones.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

but don't do it from a US government computer

admiremycojones.com would probably result in some wrongdoing

2. Roo
      Windows

Re: Bless

"You've really got to admire their cojones."

You don't have to be brave to take the piss when you know there will be zero consequences.

5. Gordon 10
    WTF?

wankers

with this kind of crap endemic within Govt organisations its no wonder any techie worth their salt would slag "callmeDaves" encryption disposal proposals at every opportunity.

When you can't even rely on an organisation to admit complete malfeasance there is something majorly wrong.

Lets not forget they tried to get criminal charges raised against the committee.

Govt powers or any sort - take a leaf from Zammo's book - just say no.

1. Message From A Self-Destructing Turnip

Re: wankers

I sorry to say it Gordon, but Zammo was not a good example to use.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/We+were+stoned+when+we+went+to+the+White+House+for+Say+No+To+Drugs...-a060651619

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dear Diane.

All you and your colleagues need to do is defund them. I'm sure the republicans can help you with that one, they've done it before.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

Of course, Feinstein is no prize herself....

She has no problem denouncing Edward Snowden, stonewalling NSA reform and championing our current intelligence oversight, but when it is HER information and systems that are getting broken into by America's intelligence community, then it is a big, potentially criminal deal.

I have a low tolerance for hypocrisy, and it would be a happier world for me if Diane Feinstein was not representing my state in the Senate.

1. Mark 85

Re: Of course, Feinstein is no prize herself....

I think that also applies to 99 other Senators as well....

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Policy

you would think the CIA had stricter policies and discipline over even 'mistaken' access. Many companies would fire staff over such action.

1. localzuk Silver badge

Re: Policy

Indeed. If I went around doing this sort of thing here, I'd be up in front of a disciplinary panel pretty darn quick and out the door shortly afterwards.

I technically, have access to the entire organisation's documents and work etc... But if I go accessing them, I'd be abusing my position of trust.

That's what the CIA did here - they abused a position of trust.

9. Mark 85
    Facepalm

Well, nice to know that all is well with the Senate's computers....

The CIA found itself in a difficult situation, the report states, because while it was required "to safeguard the prerogatives of the Senate, particularly the protection of work product," it also needed to ensure the security of a computer system "containing substantial sensitive material."

Imagine that... the CIA is the Senate's IT Security department.

1. Schultz

"the protection of work product"

Did they just make up some weird terms to make sure nobody knows what they talk about? Maybe that's what they should do with all their top secret stuff: obfuscate it until nobody knows what's going on.

10. Mitoo Bobsworth
    Pint

Unsurprising, really...

It's the CIA - you weren't REALLY expecting any authenticity, were you?

Beer because it's more satisfying

11. Sir Runcible Spoon
    Flame

Sir

So, did they delete any documents or not?

Did any of the CIA operatives who access the computers discuss any of what they found with anyone else that could potentially influence the investigation?

The findings of this report are pure bullshit if you ask me. I'm sure Cameron will be asking for some tips whilst he is over there.

1. swampdog

Re: Sir

Shame we can't recreate Westminster on a small island and have him come back, to it, at night. Just leave a sign on the door saying we all emigrated.

1. Roo
        Windows

Re: Sir

"Shame we can't recreate Westminster on a small island and have him come back, to it, at night. Just leave a sign on the door saying we all emigrated."

That is an excellent plan, and probably a lot cheaper than Cameron's 24x7 surveillance society, and even better it respects human rights and doesn't willfully kill people. Cameron could learn a thing or two from swampdog - assuming of course that Cameron could take his head out of his rear echo chamber for 10 minutes or so and pay attention.

12. thomas k.

Who has more crediblity?

Senator Feinstein or the CIA?

Wow, that's a tough one.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mix powered calcium hydroxide and chalk with water and apply liberally.

14. Desidero

CIA = Covered Its Ass (or "Convinced it's Innocent Always")

15. sisk

Erm...

"Inappropriate access?" Is it just me or does that sound an awful lot like something that would get a civilian jailed and charged with computer trespass?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like