back to article Denmark mulls new EU-defying session-logging law

Danish authorities look set to bring back mandatory internet session logging despite an EU ruling last year that blanket data retention is illegal. Last May the European Court of Justice (ECJ) concluded that the EU Data Retention Directive was “a particularly serious interference with fundamental rights”, meaning countries …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And I'm not sure UDP will be pleased to be referred to as session-oriented.

2. jonfr

Meanwhile in Iceland

This type of law is in effect in Iceland. The data must be stored for six months in Iceland. Authorities demand the data to be stored for "security" reasons.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Meanwhile in Iceland

That's only right. After all, Iceland is a terrorist state, right?

2. P. Lee

Re: Meanwhile in Iceland

And on the last day of the month, its time to use up the remaining internet bandwidth by spamming UDP to random addresses.

3. Graham Marsden
    Big Brother

UK.gov

Is watching with interest.

(And probably hoping they can use this to retro-actively justify what they may be doing already...)

4. Eguro

It used to just be session logging of internet, but this time they want to add phone location to the list, which is just terrific!

Oh wait.. I meant terrifying!

The minister has also said that the police have requested these tools to do their jobs, but when pressured about who specifically, she wound up saying something like: "Politicians make the laws, and we of course confer with the police and relevant authorities, to make sure it's practically feasible" - aka; "I've never said that the police made requests".

I'm guessing it's the NSA pressuring to bring it back, so they will have less work to do with monitoring the Danish people... Or well I might guess that, if I were a crazy conspiracy nut, right.. heh..

5. Velv
    Big Brother

Please remind the Danish government of the Microsoft Ireland v US Government case, as data like this could be requested by the US if the telco has a vague US connection, WITHOUT the need to ask the Danish.

Talk about the NSA getting data surreptitiously, this is giving them it on a plate!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like