back to article Australian desert deluge demonstrates why we're doing it

It rained in central Australia last week. And in Willowra, the remote community we visited to figure out what happens when the Internet comes to town and performed a Windows 7 upgrade, it rained so much that last Saturday the town got three times its mean monthly rainfall. And that was on top of Friday's rain, which doubled …

1. Martin Budden Silver badge
    Pint

Land Cruiser with a tinny on the roof? And extra beer to help with delays.

2. Mark 85

I would hope that it's something "all-terrain" which in this case includes amphibious. Maybe a Duck (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DUKW).

3. ScottK

Henley on Todd

Henley on Todd. The only regatta in the world that gets cancelled because there is water in the river.

http://www.henleyontodd.com.au/

4. Tim Roberts 1

Yep Central Australia .....

People who have not actually been there have no idea about isolation, keeping safe, extreme heat etc etc.

A truly amazing place - not one that I personally enjoy, but well worth a visit next time you are in oz.

Oh by the way if you break down, don't leave your vehicle (at least you'll be able to drink the radiator water if you get really desperate) ..... you did remember that sat phone didn't you?

1. frank ly

Re: Yep Central Australia .....

I was going to say something about anti-freeze not being good for you, then I realised. Do you put any additives in radiator water at all?

1. Neil of Qld

Coolant

2. This post has been deleted by its author

2. ScottK

Had somebody die last week in remote WA because he didn't stay with his car:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-08/man-dies-after-car-breaks-down-in-remote-wa/6006916

If going on some serious bush bashing, take a PLB and a lot of water.

5. BernardL

Don't drink the radiator water neat. You have to distill the drinkable water out of the coolant and other gunk. A solar still will do just fine.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Swarthy
        Holmes

re: propylene glycol coolant

And in a pinch, you could also add it to your vape...in case you run out of smokes.

And yes, this was a joke - but that -> icon worked so much better than the joke alert.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Solar still?

If you're going to bring along what you need to make one of those, why not just bring some jugs of water along and not have to resort to drinking your radiator water in the first place?

1. Hazmoid

Re: Solar still?

All you need for a solar still is a plastic sheet, a cup and a container for the coolant. However, I think I would prefer to just carry extra water :)

2. Kye Macdonald

Re: Solar still?

A solar still can also be a way of extracting water from trees. Though honestly I prefer the term plastic bag to solar still.

Find largish tree. Stick branch with lots of leaves inside bag, tie off the end tightly. Come back every 2 hours and collect your water. (Note bag needs to be a clear one...

If you are stuck on the side of the road in Australia it might be days before you can be got to. A plastic bag is a good backup to the extra water you are carrying.

6. The Nazz

I'm no map reading expert

but i'd say that not only has Willowra been cut off i'd say it's been wiped off the map.

What's the purpose of that large useless graphic at the start of the article?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What's the purpose of that large useless graphic at the start of the article?

To prove that although ElReg wants your feedback about site redesign, there are some things they they just aren't going to change, regardless of how much complaining there is. :-)

7. DownUndaRob

Blades

I would recommend the best vehicle to get there would be fitted with blades, fast spinning ones that repel the earth and allow you to float/hover and such...

Yep, rent a chopper..

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like