back to article It's hacker jihad: Islamist skiddies square up to Anonymous

An online spat is developing between Islamist and pro-Western hacktivists. Sections of infamous hacker collective Anonymous launched #OpCharlieHebdo last week in responses to terrorist attacks that killed 17 in Paris, including 10 cartoonists and journalists and two police constables in and around the offices of French …

1. Cliff

For fuck's sake

None of this is about which particular aspect of 'God' anyone prefers - 'hacker' groups squabbling is always boring, but using it to taunt groups that prefer a different flavour of 'God' is just fucking stupid.

Both sides - take those 1337 skillz and do something, ANYTHING productive, so everyone says 'oh, you see those xyz group, they did this pretty decent thing, perhaps we shouldn't be shooting each other after all as we're all just human with similar hopes and dreams' and bollocks to any bedroom warriors posturing or threatening harm in the name of peace.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: For fuck's sake

Anon don't really care who they fight with as long as they have someone to fight and it gets them in the news.

1. mythicalduck
        Terminator

"Anon don't really care who they fight with as long as they have someone to fight and it gets them in the news"

After reading the article on hacking films, perhaps they just want their own film with all the Hollywood visual effects?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>take those 1337 skillz and do something, ANYTHING productive

Lockheed-Martin are hiring.

Get a chance to play video games for real....

3. mi1400

Hackers are considered the ultimate logic makers their minds are so logic hardened that even if their heart says they go with the mind. So i cant understand why here Anonymous seems to doing illogical... they have/are the wisest few and infact occasionally themselves victims of govts' media exploitation but still siding with corrupt media!?! hell even AlQaeda does not ridicule anyone... they either criticize and even in extreme they say yes it was not right but its done no bragging or gangnum style dances. Where as who ridicule nuns, own religion, own book, guantanamo prisoners, then in greed and fame the only thing they see left in competition is other people/religions etc.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

"hell even AlQaeda does not ridicule anyone"

Al Qaeda ridicules the faith of all Muslims every time they pervert religious teachings into a rationale for extremism, totalitarianism and death.

2. Donkey Molestor X

OH NO THEY DI-INT

you do NOT fuck with notepad++. i love notepad++ so much i donated to them last year.

these skiddies, whoever they are, just earned my undying antipathy. (i know i kind of made it just sound like i care about programs more than people but... yeah, i'll cop to that).

i gon donate to them again. fuck a skiddie. in the ear.

1. petur
      FAIL

Maybe, but I skipped that version because I don't want it to auto-type anything in my docs, no matter how good the cause is. Several people even uninstalled because they thought it contains malware (understandable, if you see it act weird and at the same time read about an attack on its site)

1. PleebSmash

I've never seen autocomplete enabled by default in my copy of Notepad++ and I've never used the feature. Does that happen in a new update?

I see it as just a feature to put it on par with say, Dreamweaver, Eclipse, etc.

3. sabroni Silver badge

United Islamic Cyber Force

No, we're the United Cyber Force of Islam. United Islamic Cyber Force are a bunch of SPLITTERS!!!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: United Islamic Cyber Force

Is that why it's referred to as the religion of pieces?

2. T J

Re: United Islamic Cyber Force

50 Shades Of Towel

4. Nightkiller

Note to El Reg:

Muhhamad is Islam's Prophet. Prefacing the name with a definite article implies that I agree that this is the case. It is not.

For that matter, Mormons believe that Joseph Smith is "The Prophet". Ditto that as well.

1. Teiwaz

'the' Muhhamad

Maybe they meant it as in not 'Muhhamad Ali' or any other, but the one they took the name of or were named after.

Funnily Jesus has never been that popular in the christian world (apart from the latin countries, where it's VERY popular, oddly enough).

Though in Ireland you can't walk two metres without tripping over a Mary or two. Then there was all those apparitions appearing to schoolgirls, not to mention middle-aged wimmin having visions of 'herself' then subsequently setting up prayer halls and buying mansions.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You think the world revolves around you?

How the heck does the manner in which El Reg writes the name imply anything about YOUR beliefs or agreement?

If you want that, fine, then stop capitalizing god and the bible too. I don't believe in either of them and have now decided I'll follow in your footsteps and narrow mindedly insist on that from all websites I visit. Still want to pursue your cause if it means your beliefs aren't given the special treatment you assume they deserve?

3. T J

Sorry are you talking about specifying the noun, in Arabic?

For example: 'Anza Ackbar!' - 'Goat is great!' - NOT correct.

It needs to be 'Al Anza Ackbar!' - 'Goat is great!'

1. dogged

and remember to pronounce that as "il" rather than "al" or people will look at you funny.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Al Anza Ackbar!

Thanks ! I will be using that in my online battles against zombies.

5. HOW many?

Je suis really surprised

Yeah OK, I'm lying, I'm not at all surprised.

A moment's reflection and about the only real surprise is none of 'em jumped on this particular bandwagon sooner.

On the upside its better than blowing things up.

6. Ketlan
    Happy

Hooray, no image!

Sorry, but I'm just grateful that this article lacks the (now) usual and pointless sodding great image at the top. Just like the old days...

1. Message From A Self-Destructing Turnip

Re: Hooray, no image!

Maybe the Islamist skiddies stole it?

7. stringyfloppy

Surely by "claiming responsibility" El Reg meant "accepting blame," right? Or "admitting guilt?" Because defacing "proper" religious sites has nothing to do with responsibility.

8. Mark 85

Ah.. the skiddies are being skiddies again...

A little vandalism, some name-calling... nothing to see here.

On a serious note.. what the skiddies involved in this fail to realize is that there some out there who could get really pissed off and they carry suitable weaponry. It's one thing to be aware of repercussions and accept them. It's another to think that a computer hack for laughs is mightier than that AK-47 or M-16 standing in the doorway.

No tin-foil hat here, just the reality that if I stood on a street corner yelling insults about a particular racial or ethnic or religious group (doesn't matter which group), at some point, someone will take a swing at me. It be a fist or bullet but that swing will come. The key is for listeners to ignore.

1. Stuart 22

Re: Ah.. the skiddies are being skiddies again...

The only thing useful would have been a hint on how they did it. Just so we know whether we are at similar risk or not. I don't care about either group. I just don't want to waste my time picking up the bits from their bunfight.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

9. Dr Scrum Master

Useful

Dear Anonymous and other skiddies,

Please do something useful such as disabling auto-play video on websites.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just wondering...

...does the a$$clown in the photo think people would not recognize him with or without the make-up? He ain't anonymous in that face paint. Duh.

1. LucreLout
      Joke

Re: Just wondering...

Yeah, 'cos everyone recognised KISS without their makeup! Oh... wait...

11. This post has been deleted by its author

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon