back to article Stop viewing Facebook at work says Facebook at work on Facebook at Work

Facebook will soon tell its users (sorry, people) to dump its colleagues on the site and interact with them instead on the company's social-networking-for-suits site, Facebook at Work. In the meantime, Facebook is at work on Facebook at Work. Facebook will not be renamed Facebook at Home, but the Mark Zuckerberg-run firm has …

1. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Devil

I have this vision...

Of the steel-lined and gated guidance runs that lead animals (sheep, say) into an abattoir.

Dunno why.

1. Richard Jones 1
      Happy

Re: I have this vision...

I suddenly had a vision of Zukerman as a Judas sheep leading his flock into the maw of death. I had better go and lay down.

2. Joseph Eoff

Correction

Content free ad network - wasn't that what you meant?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As I have no interest in Facebook outside of work, I would also have no interest in Facebook inside of work.

I can imagine my work paying through the nose for it though, then it can join our list of expensive and unused tech. Video conferencing equipment and Lync anyone?

4. MrWibble

Sounds a bit like Yammer which a dopey (ex) MD foisted on us a few years ago. And we got rid of it, as soon as he was got rid of.

Complete waste of time.

1. goldcd

We've just bought that!!

*slowly bangs head into desk*

There seems to be a fundamental misconception that I want to be 'social' with 'my colleagues'.

Plenty of colleagues I do want to be social with - and that's that Facebook, Whatsapp, every social app ever (and pubs) are for

1. micheal
        Joke

Re: Plenty of colleagues I do want to be social with

The rest of my colleagues are men

Phnarr Phnarr

5. Buzzword

Linked Out?

It's just a clone of LinkedIn, surely?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Linked Out?

Alas, this implies not:

Facebook will replicate the look and feel of Facebook on Facebook at Work for Facebookers at work, apparently,

So LinkedIn, but with less trust, and a really shitty interface? Can't wait.

1. Mark 85

Re: Linked Out?

You forgot about the cat and cute baby pictures. And maybe selfies taken in the employee restrooms.

Tell the boss that they're going to need a bigger server....

6. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

users (sorry, people)

The word you were looking for is "product".

1. Message From A Self-Destructing Turnip

Re: users (sorry, people)

I read that bit of the article and thought "livestock", which might go some way to explaining Zogs vision.

2. Gannettt

Re: users (sorry, people)

The users of Facebook are the advertisers.

7. Yugguy

I remember Lync

And all the managers getting very excited about being able to keep tabs on us ALL THE TIME.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The future is so bright it makes me cry

"Update: Mongo just ran unit tests successfully!"

-- Boss and 3 others like this

Mongo got the "Template Metaprogram cross-compilation achievement"

-- Alexander Andrescu likes this

"WARNING! Norman has just gone postal"

-- Be the first of your friends to like this!

9. Chris G

Wow! I'm just so....

Is there one word to describe ' Not excited, couldn't give a shit other than hoping it all goes down in flames' ?

1. edge_e
      Facepalm

Re: Wow! I'm just so....

Meh

2. Mark 85
      Meh

Try "meh".....

Edit... crap... beat out on the response by 2 minutes. I gotta' type faster.

1. Number6

How long does it take you to type three characters and click "Submit"?

10. Bob Dole (tm)

I'm just waiting for the first time someone posts something to their Facebook @ Work when they really meant to post it to their Facebook and they are fired for it.

OR

The first time someone posts company "secrets" on Facebook when they meant to start a discussion about it on Facebook @ Work.

The possibilities for calamity are endless.

1. Nunyabiznes

FTFY

"The possibilities for hilarity are endless"

11. king of foo

beep, beep-beep, ring-ring, cough, poke, slap, OY! YOU! TALK TO ME! NOW! RAAAAAAAAAAaaAAAAAaaaaa

When exactly are people supposed to get any work done with all these communication channels pouring spam at us 24/7?

I check my primary inbox and respond to 2 emails when my mobile beeps (OK, it makes a dialup modem noise but you get the idea) so I read the SMS and am about to pick the landline up to call the messager back when my mobile rings (plays the theme tune from Monty Python...) and it's someone else needing help with something. During the phone call another 10 new emails drop in and I'm conscious that a small queue has formed behind me in the open plan office of people actually wanting to talk to me in person. An hour of "chatting" later I get back to that second email as I hadn't managed to click "send". As soon as it's clicked another email lands informing me someone assigned me a "case" in salesforce.com. It's actually a meeting invite, which I add to my outlook calendar. Then I notice some red "tasks" someone assigned me so I start reading and one of the secretaries hands me a stack of snail mail. I raise my hand to receive said envelopes and the landline rings...

No. I don't want Facebook for work tyvm. I want a little peace and quiet to get some ****** work done!

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
      Trollface

And with all that you have time to post here ?

You must be one of those elusive "multitasker" types.

2. Number6

Re: beep, beep-beep, ring-ring, cough, poke, slap, OY! YOU! TALK TO ME! NOW! RAAAAAAAAAAaaAAAAAaaaaa

I'm lucky - my phone rings and I can afford to look at it before getting up to go get a cup of tea in the hope that it's stopped ringing before I get back. At some point I'll have IT disable my voicemail box after I record a greeting that tells people to email me instead. The same for my mobile, if I don't recognise the number then I don't answer the call (family calls come in with a different ring tune).

12. John 104

@Lync

We use Lync here at work. It is actually a very useful tool. You can make calls with it, conference, video, whatever. And it integrates with Skype. Maybe you should actually try it before bashing it as useless?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: @Lync

We use Lync too, really just eh IM feature is of any use. Management gave up on using it as a tracking tool when half the employees jsut didn't use it and are consequently 'Away 153 days'.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
        Mushroom

Re: "Away 153 days"

Yup, sounds like what my status will be on Facebook At Work.

Don't care who says so, I'll never use it. And I'd like to take advantage of the opportunity to state that my professional life is NOT like my personal life and I do not want to mix the two.

If I want to be social with people I see 50 hours per week, I don't need a fucking ad server Big Brother Zuckerstein product to help me.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: "Away 153 days"

I agree. When my manager requested I add him on linked-in, I told him that I wouldn't have an account in 5 minutes...and now I don't.

2. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: @Lync

Lync as a desktop sharing tool as well as IM is great. It will also automatically set your status as away if your calendar shows it as such. Lync is very useful.

Yammer is a different story, working in a multi-national where it has been foisted. It seems that it is popular in some parts of the world where people are all over it with banal blogs Those same people don't understand why those of us in the UK are not interested and have never read their banal blogs. I do think these people are spending too much time writing their Yammer blogs instead of actually being productive.

13. T. F. M. Reader

Perfect for corporate communications, HR, etc.

No one will be able to "dislike" them, eh?

Side benefit for managers: an automatic, algorithmic annual review for everyone?

Side benefit for Zuck: new FB@Home users (soz, people) as employees retire?

1. OliverJ
      Thumb Down

Re: Perfect for corporate communications, HR, etc.

I would assume that there will be a like button - and a like-it-even-more button.

Well, I definitely have a strange and very intense sensation in my lower parts when I start thinking about it. Or, bowel movement, as it is called more prosaically. Probably yesterday's curry on it's way out.

14. JassMan
    FAIL

So hows that going to work?

Even if some employer decides to set up a Facebook@work, no sane sysadmin is going to let the FB@W server grab adds to serve up to the captive audience.

1. Jonathan Richards 1
      Stop

Re: So how's that going to work?

>So how's that going to work?

(i) Insane sysadmins (Sony hack refers)

(ii) Formerly sane sysadmins over-ruled by PHBs who signed the contracts with Facebook

15. Timbo

Silly question...

but what is the point of FB@W ?

If one wants to converse/share info with a work colleague, whilst at work, one can do that with either email, or meet up at the water/coffee machine or pop to the pub at lunchtime.....one doesn't need an "app" for that.

And who is going to use FB@W when you get home? Surely, by then, you've switched off and will be enjoying some "family time"...and if something is THAT important you'd have a work colleagues mobile number to call or txt, or you can ping them an email. Hell you could even use FB@Home as said work friends/colleagues could be on your FB@Home friends list.

So, unless FB@W offers businesses something that no other software/resource can offer (and irrespective of what money Mr Z can make from this "idea" via advertising), then all I CAN see is that Mr Z is just throwing a lot of money at something that just isn't needed.

Surely, he'd just be better off buying LinkedIn ??

1. Dr Scrum Master
      Mushroom

Re: Silly question...

"Surely, [Mr Z]'d just be better off buying LinkedIn ??"

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

2. This post has been deleted by its author

16. Tom 13

So Zuck IS settling into the CEO position then

After all, every CEO knows it's important not to get your products lines intermingled during transit to the customer. I'm sure forcing all the work product through the home interface was screwing up the algorithms that result in cold hard cash from the customers.

17. ukgnome

Has anyone seen my fucks?

It's not important because I wouldn't give them, and this moment I simply couldn't give them.

No fucks given here

18. Ticl

Aleady using it...

... it's called Google+.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like