back to article AMD plugs firmware holes that allowed command injection

Chip maker AMD has patched holes across its firmware lines that could allow hackers to inject malware. Czech programmer Rudolf Marek reported the holes in the Trinity, Richland, Kaveri, and Kabini silicon series ahead of a disclosure at the Chaos Communications Congress. AMD's System Management Unit (SMU) firmware code within …

1. Robert Helpmann??
    Childcatcher

A Little More Than 90 Days

It took roughly a year to fix the flaws in an exchange he described as "responsible and helpful".

What, no sample exploit code? This stands in stark contrast to the way Google approaches disclosure.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Devil

Re: A Little More Than 90 Days

It's always good to troll the very discombobulated Microsoft for great justice.

2. Oninoshiko

Re: A Little More Than 90 Days

yep, no exploit code and the vuln is not fixed in the wild.

Seems to vindicate the policy that without publishing deadlines it doesn't get fixed.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Bug your notherboard vendor for a fix, says boffin"

notherboard?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Holmes

You will say "notherboard" when you get the considerate response of the vendor to your request.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Happy

your see that errors and corrections? It's there to help you become a proof reader and spell checker.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

The errors and corrections link is a mailto: link. I don't have an email client on (any of) my computers.

Copying and pasting the email address into a webmail page is a greater hassle than commenting (twice) on a site I'm already logged into.

3. AMBxx Silver badge
    Meh

x86

Old stuff. I doubt the motherboard manufacturers care enough to fix.

1. Mark #255
      Mushroom

Re: x86

Trinity, Richland, Kabini and Kaveri are the four most recent desktop processor families (2012-present), you numpty.

1. AMBxx Silver badge
        Flame

Re: x86

Says x86 in the article, not x64

Then:

"This is the only way to push vendors to update BIOSes for older platforms."

Either you're wrong or the article's wrong. I have no idea which.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like