back to article Ross Ulbricht trial Day One: 'I DID invent Silk Road ... but I'm innocent'

During the first day of the trial of Ross William Ulbricht on Tuesday, a lawyer representing the accused Silk Road mastermind once again proclaimed his client's innocence of all charges against him. Attorney Joshua Dratel said that although Ulbricht "did invent Silk Road" – the first time either Dratel or Ulbricht has ever …

1. RedneckMother
    Coat

can't say if Ulbricht is innocent or guilty...

Based on this reportage, can you say "El Fucked?"

"I knew you could!"

RIP Mr. Rogers

1. Swarthy
      Pirate

Re: can't say if Ulbricht is innocent or guilty...

I do believe this trial will go on "to the pain".

2. CrazyLikeAFox
    Pirate

"Dread Pirate Roberts" set up by "Inigo"?

So where is Vizzini, Fezzik and Prince Humperdink?

1. MrDamage Silver badge

Scouring the rest of the interwebs to disprove another one of DPR's lies. Because according to my own internet based research, there is not a shortage of perfect breasts in the world.

1. Robert Helpmann??

I guess he will find out if they serve mutton, lettuce and tomato sandwiches in the pokey.

3. Dr. Mouse

I don't know

I don't know whether he is guilty or not. However, I have to say that his lawyer's defence seems plausible, at least. He sets up an online trading site. Criminals see the potential and take it over. When they see the cops closing in, they set him up to take the fall.

Let's see how it plays out. I suspect that he will go to jail.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmmm.... So it went to trial

""Ross is not a drug dealer. Ross is not a kingpin. Ross is not involved in a conspiracy," Dratel said in his opening statement."

However, Ross is able to afford to go to trial, instead of being rail-roaded into a plea bargain. Should be interesting.

1. dogged

Re: Hmmm.... So it went to trial

Ross owns $18 million worth of bitcoins. His lawyer says he got them from trading (and to be fair, it's not like their value doesn't fluctuate) as opposed to the estimate $80million in bitcoins that DPR would have stashed away.

Given his low-key lifestyle, this could be an important plank of the defence. However 18million is enough for a lawyer.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Say, that reminds me...

How has OJ's search for the real killer been going?

1. dogged

Re: Say, that reminds me...

apparently, there was a one-gloved man...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I am pretty sure he knows who did it!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

But knowing who really did something isn't a crime else most MP's would be in prison

6. Dan Paul

Innocent until PROVEN guilty!

The fact remains is that it is apparently not illegal for the prosecutor, police, informants, etc to lie outright to get the results that they wish in a court case.

THEY should be as supect as anyone elese involved. Their so called "proof" and witnesses should be investigated as much as the defendant has been.

1. Mike Moyle

Re: Innocent until PROVEN guilty!

"Their so called "proof" and witnesses should be investigated as much as the defendant has been."

If his lawyer has been half doing his job, that will have happened by now and will be presented in evidence at the appropriate time.

2. ma1010
      Headmaster

Re: Innocent until PROVEN guilty!

On this side of the pond if any testifying witness lies, he/she can be prosecuted for perjury, which in this state is good for 5 years in prison. On the other hand, anything the prosecutor or defense attorney says, particularly in opening statements or closing arguments, is not subject to perjury because it is not sworn testimony.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like