back to article Adults-only Chrome add-on grabs you by the Googlies

Google's Chrome Remote Desktop app does what it says on the can: install it in Google's browser and it becomes possible to drive the host Mac, PC or Chromebook from another similarly-equipped machine. As of today it's also possible to drive a machine from iOS, as Google has been kind enough to release an app for the iPhone or …

1. Montreux

Apple gives your app a rating, not the developer, based on your answers to a range of questions. These being how often your app contains: violence, profanity, fear/horror, drugs references, nudity, sexual content; plus 'unrestricted web access'. I would guess the latter is the reason for the rating.

1. Elfo74
      Facepalm

protect the kids!

violence: no

profanity: nope

fear/horror: nothing

drugs references: zero

nudity: zip

sexual content: zilch

that leaves 'unrestricted web access'... like browser or email client...

CLEARLY we must think of the children

1. Mark 85

Re: protect the kids!

I suppose that all of your "no" answers could be "yes" depending on who's pc/mac/etc. was being remoted... yes, they're thinking of the children and also parental sueballs.

1. Elfo74

Re: protect the kids!

"I suppose that all of your "no" answers could be "yes" depending on who's pc/mac/etc. was being remoted... yes, they're thinking of the children and also parental sueballs."

So, the same as gmail app that "may" contain smut/violence... that's why it is rated 17+ so parents don't sue itunes...

oh wait...

2. DNTP

I wish more developers would realize this, and be all like, "Well, we are getting an adult rating for unrestricted web access and there's nothing to be done about that, might as well add in functionality that puts breast pictures onto everything."

Like when movie directors know they're gonna get an R rating because of two women holding hands or something, they are suddenly free to put in more swearing, explosions, and toplessness.

2. Gordon 10
    WTF?

Does the world really need another remote desktop option?

.... exploit coming in 3..2..1...

1. Gotno iShit Wantno iShit

Re: Does the world really need another remote desktop option?

Indeed, and is there a worse place than in the browser to implement one?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Holmes

Re: Does the world really need another remote desktop option?

@Gordon10 - ".... exploit coming in 3..2..1..."

Chrome Remote Desktop has been around for years on Windows and Linux and I haven't heard about the exploits. I've used it - works alright as long as you've got a good wifi connection on both ends.

As with all Google services, be sure to use 2-step verification for account safety.

3. Stretch

Giving crapple products to children is child abuse, hence the restriction.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

<cynic> Does it present targeted ads based on what it finds on the remote machine? And for good measure, are remote files searchable with Google later? </cynic>

1. Anonymous Coward
      Holmes

No. And no.

It's just a simple remote - sorry to burst your cynic bubble. Not really good for much else. Not even the best free remote desktop - teamviewer is much nicer.

5. patrick_bateman

and i bet no admin rights are needed to install just like all the other google downloads.

BLOODY annoying to administrate (and before people mention blocking or firewalls, I work for the NHS - talk to a brick wall unless your sucking off some big boss or its an outside contractor getting payed a sh1t load for wasting money and not know what there doing)

1. Oninoshiko

That's not google's fault. The ability was always there, they are just pointing it out.

Remember administration (or security) through obscurity is not administration at all.

2. Sandtitz Silver badge
      Boffin

@patrick

"and i bet no admin rights are needed to install just like all the other google downloads [...] and before people mention blocking"

I'm still going to mention the blocking. ;-)

Create a Software Restriction GPO to allow running software only from places where the end user doesn't have write access. That will deny installation of Chrome or running eg. a portable USB version.

If Chrome is desired in your organization, install the ADM extensions and deny Chrome extensions via a group policy.

I highly recommend the software restriction policies in all organizations by default anyway since it prevents running any dodgy downloads such as browser hijackers or worse. Even user space programs can generate DoS traffic, transfer all data you have access (incl. servers) to China, encrypt everything you have write access to, or exploit a privileges escalation bug.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like