back to article Disney, McLaren and National Rail walk into bar: Barkeep, make me a Wearable

A £210,000 fund has been put up by Innovate UK to promote development of wearable tech and big name companies have jumped at the chance to be associated with the coolest thing since “apps” and “cloud” became passé. Innovate UK is what used to be known as the Technology Strategy Board and is the governmental organisation that …

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

What the hell?

I need to re-read the article just in case ...

EDIT

No, it's just as daft as it looked before. In an area where one needs a critical mass of adoption, what can they hope to achieve that won't fall out of Google, Apple and Kickstarter?

I just can't help but feel this is a bit late in the game. They would get a better return if they knock the hotel idea on the head, and put more money into Maclaren's and Loughborough's health sensors - at least then any spin-off company might be snapped up by Apple or Google for the benefit of the tax-payer.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

From here, looks like the Titanic all over again

I just love to think of hotels having to manage customer bracelets on top of all the rest. I wonder just what the customers are going to think of the scheme. Will they feel like they are treated as cattle ? All those high-level execs and VIPs are expected to jump at the opportunity of being tracked in real time ?

Funny, I get the feeling that there will be a very frank and net rejection of the scheme.

Unless they guarantee free (and effective) WiFi if you wear it. Then I see a widespread adoption followed by much rejoicing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: From here, looks like the Titanic all over again

"Would you like to wear this bracelet to access the hotel and facilities??"

"No, no I would not."

"Now give me my room key and leave me alone"

2. Phil Endecott

Re: From here, looks like the Titanic all over again

I think it's much more likely to be the cleaning staff wearing the tags, so that their toilet breaks can be more closely monitored.

3. Kevin Johnston
    Joke

Surely if they are trying to be cool and hip and trendy (delete as inappropriate) they should actually be called Innov8...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Nope

iNNOV8

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Nope, iNOVA8, for the bright shining star first impression (also short lived, but them's the breaks)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Atos?

Atos, the "I'm sorry but you're not disabled enough for this watch" company?

1. Sarah Balfour

Re: Atos?

The very same. I got lucky, many poor fuckers didn't. Atos staff weren't the ones to blame, most were only there coz it was the only work they could get, many left when their consciences couldn't take any more.

IDS has always nauntained there are no targets but, then IDS wouldn't know the truth if it fucked him. Employees were allowed to spend just THREE MINUTES with each claimant, and expected to work a 10-hour day. The BARE MINIMUM was to fail 85% per day, didn't matter if they had terminal cancer, MS or depression. One advisor walked out when her manager told her to "Get nasty" because she wasn't failing enough people. She was "off-target" by about 30% as I recall. She'd been wanting to leave, anyway, but she really couldn't afford to but, when her manager told her he would fire her if she didn't step up the failure rate, she found the courage to leave.

I'd like to invent summat that would render IDS unintelligible every time he told a lie (which would pretty much mean nobody could understand a word he said).

5. Chris G

210.000 Quid

It will cost at least that much to manage.

Plus the likes of Diddlesney will want all rights of anything produced.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A solution in search of a problem, where the solution has it's own problems.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

And competing against mature, market proven solutions (fitness sensors) and emerging products with huge $$$ backing (Google, Apple, Samsung, Sony, LG, myriad startups, cheap n cheerful Chinese watches) - with travel info, fitness, shares in health companies, links to NFC payment systems, ecosystems of app developers...

7. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

@ Kevin Johnston...

I believe there is already a company called INOV8 that make sports apparel.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like