back to article This $10 phone charger will wirelessly keylog your boss

MySpace mischief-maker Samy Kamkar has released schematics for a dirt-cheap wireless sniffer capable of plundering keystrokes from office cubicles. The "Keysweeper" looks and functions like a generic USB phone charger, but conceals Arduino-powered sniffing gear within. The device targets Microsoft wireless keyboards and …

1. Christian Berger

There is no sensible way to encrypt those on a budget

To keep costs down those systems have a simplex wireless connection. With that you have no chance of securely exchanging a key.

If you want moderate security for wireless keyboards use Blutooth. It may not be very secure, but it's a _lot_ more than secure than this... but then again that's probably not an option for Microsoft as not all versions of Windows support it. And unlike USB HIDs the BIOS will not emulate a normal AT keyboard for you.

1. P. Lee

Re: There is no sensible way to encrypt those on a budget

I'm pretty sure we knew this from when wireless keyboards first came out - someone was using XOR for encrypting keystrokes IIRC.

You need a computer to get a peripheral to talk to a computer.

Welcome to the internet of things... what could possibly go wrong?

1. billse10
        Thumb Up

"Welcome to the internet of things... what could possibly go wrong?"

P. Lee

sorry, just wanted to repeat that :-)

2. hitmouse

Windows has supported Bluetooth for a very long time.

The issue is whether the hardware has in-built Bluetooth support, or a spare USB port for an adaptor.

1. jzlondon

If the system has a spare USB socket for a wireless keyboard adapter, it has a spare USB socket for a Bluetooth adapter instead.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Unless you happen to be a developer with Windows server 2008/2008R2 installed as your os - in which case you have to go through hoops to TRY to get a bluetooth stack installed - as Micro$oft have decided that there's no need to have a bluetooth stack in a server os....

1. hitmouse

diddum$

3. jzlondon

Microsoft hardware isn't at the low-budget end though and a chip to do basic encrypted key exchange is a few pence.

1. Mike Moyle

@ jzlondon Re: There is no sensible way to encrypt those on a budget

...And it's those few pennies that meant it wouldn't happen.

"The answer to any question starting, 'Why do they-', or 'Why don't they-' is almost always, 'Money.'" -- Robert A. Heinlein

I used to work for a company that made antitheft devices for automobile ignitions. the idea was to harden them just enough to (depending on the model of steering column/ignition) dissuade a thief trying to smash the housing or insert a screwdriver into the keyslot to over-torque the cylinder. Our main customers were the rental fleets, since they self-insure. Being a non-car person, I once asked our national sales manager why we were even necessary. His answer: "Because the car manufacturers want the absolute best ignitions they can get... for under a dollar."

Companies HATE spending that extra .00004% if there's any way at all to pass the cost off to someone else as an "externality" and the product's security once it leaves the shop -- unless you're making security your biggest selling point -- is an externality.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

But they're not limited to simplex by hardware, a quick look at the datasheet for the Nordic chip will tell you it's a transceiver so the only thing stopping key exchange is firmware...

5. asdf

>There is no sensible way to encrypt those on a budget

Except Logitech seems to do so with their unifying receiver (AES 128-bit cipher) generally at a price point lower than Microsoft's offerings.

2. Number6

Wires FTW

I knew there was a good reason why I much prefer wired keyboards and mice. And wired rather than wifi network links. I have to admit I haven't checked for a wired keylogger this week yet though.

1. king of foo

Re: Wires FTW

Wireless keyboards and mice in offices confuse me, especially when coupled with docking stations.

1. Valeyard

yeah, all my colleagues use wireless because "I hate wires" (I work with a lot of hipsters unfortunately)

There's literally an ethernet port on each individual desk and our laptops have lots of USB ports which don't get used for anything else, and the nearest shop that sells batteries is 15 minutes away.

I'd like to say I had security concerns but I just didn't see the point really.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Wireless keyboards and mice in offices confuse me, especially when coupled with docking stations."

You're not the only one! Overheard in an office the other day,

Person1 "My mouse isn't working"

Person2 "My pointer's moving by itself"

Person1 "Weird...my other one is broke too"

Person2 "You took my wireless mouse again didn't you"

2. Captain Scarlet Silver badge

Never like getting anyone Wireless objects, they always disappear or people prank other people by swapping similar looking devices around (But mostly because I'm cheap and it comes out of our budget).

3. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Decrypt any Microsoft wireless keyboard: MUH TRUSTED COMPUTING!!

Fuck you again Microsoft. Ten thousand times. You ARE the losers.

Pretty sure you shitters can't wipe arse in the dark.

No, "keeping cost down" is not an excuse. In that case, there should be big red stickers on the box "this product KEEPS THE COST DOWN (WINK WINK)".

It's time for a class-action lawsuit.

Again.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Angel

Re: Decrypt any Microsoft wireless keyboard: MUH TRUSTED COMPUTING!!

Microsoft’s 2.4GHz wireless mice and keyboards are built to work in an office environment. Their enhanced performance makes them suitable for use in a commercial setting where 27MHz devices may experience interference. In addition, Microsoft’s 2.4GHz wireless devices are easy to install, reducing or eliminating the need for installation support.

Microsoft’s proprietary 2.4GHz wireless technology provides solutions to the most common and troublesome problems with wireless mice and keyboards. It uses error-detection and channel-switching technology to significantly improve performance, meeting the highest user expectations.

It's true that they don't say it's reasonably sniffproof, just "suitable for use in a commercial setting".

Even their high-end keyboards have "proprietary 2.4Ghz" goodness. But they are "Compatible with Microsoft Windows 8 and Windows RT", and "BlueTrack" (is that like a "Cesco Router") so that's ok then.

I knew it was bad, but I didn't think it would be that bad. Guess not buying MS-branded hardware was yet again a good choice.

1. mt_head

Not to defend Microsoft here, but with "BlueTrack" they're not trying to pass themselves off as similar to BlueTooth - they're referring to the fact that the optical mouse uses a blue LED rather than the traditional red. This actually does provide better resolution and tracking, so it's legitimately something that's worth advertising on the side of the box. (Still not as good as even the oldest laser-based mice, but on the upside it's cheaper and less battery-hungry.)

2. hplasm
        Devil

" It's true that they don't say it's reasonably sniffproof, just "suitable for use in a commercial setting"."

But they don't even indemnify their OSs as"suitable for use in a commercial setting". Or anywhere else, for that matter...

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I'm not being funny, but if you cared that much about security then you probably wouldn't be using Microsoft products in the first place.

2. sabroni Silver badge
      Happy

Wow. Someone's not getting any....

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Fuck you "Destroy All Monsters" Ten thousand times. YOU are the loser!

Take your overreactions about Microsoft back to grade school where I'm pretty sure your mommy wiped your ass.

The interception and decryption of wireless keyboards is OLD news. Go complain elesewhere!

1. sabroni Silver badge
        FAIL

Re: Anonymous coward

Grow up and use your username. Going anon just to call people names is pathetic.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Or could someone have leant on them not to make it secure?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I miss my old IBM keyboard. I liked having the ability to kill an ox with one blow.

These days, you would be done for animal cruelty for this.

1. tony2heads

animal cruelty

and it wouldn't be Halaal

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Have you tried a Filco Majestouch 2?

From a review on amazon uk:

One reviewer wrote that it's well built, rock solid, you could kill someone with it.

That's completely true. It's an excellent bit of kit. I could level the building I work in with it and still write an apology letter using it afterwards.

3. Richard Ball

Whoosh

Click

"Moo?"

Thud

4. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

IBM keyboard

Just converted my youngest son to the merits of IBM buckling spring technology (I graciously allowed him to use my 1990 built Model M for a few weeks).

Bought him a Unicomp USB 'IBM Classic' keyboard for Christmas.

They're still about as heavy as the originals.

5. sorry, what?
    Devil

Information Security Officers...

Would pass out on reading this article. Except, of course, they won't be reading because they'll be too busy e-mailing and tweeting about information security instead of educating themselves.

1. jzlondon

Re: Information Security Officers...

At most large organisations, information security is an ar$e-covering exercise. They're interested in reducing legal liability by ticking all the appropriate regulatory boxes. They're not interested in actually becoming more secure.

So we get lots of communications on "best practise". Lots of forms to fill in and online training sessions. All this is so that when a breach occurs, the company can say "we gave all the required training".

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

They're interested in reducing legal liability by ticking all the appropriate regulatory boxes. They're not interested in actually becoming more secure.

You say that like these are two different things, when they aren't.

Being more secure doesn't really mean anything, until you qualify it with something to be secured against.

So, for an information security officer at a company, which is a better use of your time?

Ticking regulatory boxes to avoid various and increasingly stiff fines and allow you to transfer the risk arising from a breach (which is a perfectly valid risk treatment option);

Or

Doubling your resources to try and defend against every attack anyone can think of, only to discover that no matter what you do, you still get breached.

Ticking regulatory boxes is a pretty good idea for most security officers simply because if you dont, when you DO get hacked (and you will), it will be significantly more painful.

1. asdf

Wow AC bet if your 8 yo self saw what a cheery corporate drone box checker butt licker you will become in the future you would have peed your pants in excitement of what's to come.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Yawn...

put the word Microsoft & security in an article and watch certain peoples heads explode wit crazee spellings and lots of M$'s

FFS search for Wireless key loggers, this is NOTHING new and NOT unique to MS, but people are to stupid / narrow minded to think this is an MS problem.

BTW people, USB and PS/2 ones have been around, much, much longer, as well as ones built directly into mice and keyboards.

Still nothing like a bit a flame bait for the H8trs.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Yawn...

This is an easy to assemble kit that attacks mass produced consumer hardware, not theoretical waffle that might be able to attack some obscure device if the conditions are right.

If this article didn't mention "Microsoft", would you have been so fast to play it down?

For the record, I don't "h8" Microsoft - I'm just objective.

1. Afernie
        Joke

Your rationality and logic disgust me. Shill!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Search for DIY key logger, like I said, been around some time.

3. asdf

>NOT unique to MS,

Perhaps not but google Logitech unifying receiver to see it isn't a problem for some of their competitors for like 5 years now. Or as others have said even generic bluetooth is better which plenty of their competitors use.

4. Zack Mollusc

This is nothing new, so why is a massive company like Microsoft still selling devices that are vulnerable to it?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Odd

I (naively) assumed these were encrypted. Not that that would matter and Kaiser Cameron wants ot outlaw encryption.

8. ukgnome
    Joke

That wouldn't work on me

I don't use a wireless keyboard

AND

I usually type gibberish

9. Jim 59

I get round this by swapping all my key caps around.

1. ThomH

... so that's a Caesar cipher? I guess it'd do for any completely indiscriminate group attack.

10. paulc

Sensitive data

If you have any, you should not be using wireless keyboards or mice... not permitted at all where I work...

11. DrXym

Microsoft wireless keyboards have built in feature to defeat this

The range of MS keyboards is so bloody pathetic that you'd have to plug your charger in within a few meters of the thing. Otherwise it will only capture every other letter.

1. sabroni Silver badge
      WTF?

Re: Microsoft wireless keyboards have built in feature to defeat this

And yet people still say they're not secure!

12. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

Workaround.

Enter the password using also the mouse to reposition the cursor.

Eg.

D, mouse back to start.

R, mouse back to start.

O, mouse back to start.

W, mouse back to start.

S, mouse back to start.

S, mouse back to start.

A, mouse back to start.

P, mouse back to start.

Concept can be extended endlessly.

1. Jonathan Richards 1

Re: Workaround.

At which point you might as well install a virtual keyboard and use the mouse to enter the password from that. Good luck getting your user base to work like that, though. After all, most of them have got their passwords written down in their notebooks anyway.

13. John Sturdy
    Coat

So how long before some politico wants to ban Arduinos?

Someone's now sure to think the Arduino is a dangerous hacker tool that can be used only for nefarious purposes.

14. dncnvncd

government snoopers

Superior and safer technology has existed for some time but not introduced at the behest of government. The official reason is that it would make eavesdropping too difficult.

15. JLV

dumb question...

what are your expectations about non-MS keyboards? any reason to expect much better?

is it the (historical - I like to think that, maybe, just maybe, they are trying to improve... slowly) MS laxity?

or is just pretty much what to expect from wireless keyboards unless they victimize the poor user with things like device pairing prompts and other mindbogglingly strenuous security practices?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon