back to article HTC Desire Eye: The Android superior selfie shooter

Why has HTC’s flagship M8 One not been more popular? It’s visually arresting, critically highly regarded, has a great display, and is very well made. It should sell more strongly than it does. Of course there are some negatives. The 4MP large-pixel camera is a bit of a strange fish, some regard the ostentatious speakers as …

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

So, to recap:

Good screen

Waterproof

Not too pricey

Snapdragon 801 - more than fast enough.

At its price - around £310, though I haven't checked the sellers reputations- this HTC is competing with slightly older phones (former flagships), such as the LG G2 and Sony Xperia Z2 - a quick search suggests that both can be had for under £300.

None of these phones seems to be drastically better than the others - they are all good - so it comes down to individual preferences.

2. Bassey

Any Port in a Storm

"The power and volume buttons have been thoughtfully positioned. The same goes for the 3.5mm audio jack and micro USB port"

Where though? Yours and my ideas of "thoughtfull" might be very different and none of the images used show any of the ports - just what looks like either the SIM Card tray cover or the MicroSD Card slot cover on the side.

3. Sir Sham Cad

Bezel balance

It's not easy to see with the pictures provided but it looks as if the top bezel which needs to house all the front facing optical gubbins is noticeably larger than the bottom bezel which is a shame as it makes the phone look unbalanced to me, in the same way as the M8 (and M7) is pleasingly symmetric.

Is that the case? Does it actually look top-heavy in the, er, plastic?

4. FlatSpot
    Trollface

Not a keen gardener then...

as above... :)

5. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Coffee/keyboard

Narcissism goes hi-res

New keyboard please!

Love the sub-title, just love it to bits

BTW, have an M8, and love it to bits. I have had several HTCs before, and always got on with them, but the M8 is the first I really like a lot.

Whatever rumour says, I do not call it my precioussssss,

don't I, my preciousssss?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tittles are for toffs

And idea how this functions as a phone ie making telphone calls?

1. launcap Silver badge
      Headmaster

Re: Tittles are for toffs

How about jots? Are they for toffs too?

7. Chika
    Coat

You are without Honor

I've now been using my Huawei Honor 6 for about a week and I'm pretty impressed with it. I'd suggest that despite only being available online and have a very slightly smaller screen, it really outdoes this HTC. And it's cheaper. Methinks that the Chinese are slowly tying this market up.

How about it?

1. Dave Fox
      FAIL

Re: You are without Honor

I have an Honor 6 too, and whilst it could be a really nice phone, the truly awful Emotion UI 2.3 has relegated it to my 3rd choice device. I know Emotion UI V3 is just around the corner, but I got the Honor 6 as soon as it was released, and I've barely used it due to the most hideous Android skinning I've ever had the misfortune of using.

Sense V6 is *so* much better than Emotion UI that it beggars belief. If I could swap my Honor 6 for a Desire Eye (and I have a One M8), I would do so in a heart beat.

8. Phuq Witt
    Thumb Up

I, I

Thumbs up for writing a review sensibly in the first person and not using the "Royal We" as so many others do. I find it difficult to take any review seriously which includes such ludicrous phrases as *"our finger found the button awkward"* or *"our eye enjoyed the viewfinder"*.

9. auburnman

Why has HTC’s flagship M8 One not been more popular?

I think HTC have previously burned some of their reputation with some so-so phones in the past; I think of them as a bit hit-and-miss now, and I don't want to gamble on accidentally getting one of the misses.

1. annodomini2

Re: Why has HTC’s flagship M8 One not been more popular?

Not helped by Samsung's deliberate berating of other models on forums over the last few years.

10. Toby 2

I've yet to find any decent real-world use for NFC...

KFC, maybe.

1. David Paul Morgan

NFC used daily...

when I tap my Z1 compact onto my fitbit, the fitbit 'app' is brought to the front and sync starts.

When I tap my Z1 compact onto my headphones, the headphones power up and my Walkman/Unlimited/BeyondPod plays my programme and when I get home, I tap my Z1 compact onto my sound bar and the current programme transfers from headphones to speakers.

Other people use the tags to change profiles for sleep, going out, getting into the car, etc.

saves all the 'faff' of bluetooth pairing on new devices and I wish it was a standard feature on PC's & Laptops to make data transfer a bit easier.

11. I am not spartacus

Optional

It is another 'one of those phones'. If it was half the price, I'd probably have it in a heartbeat (plus or minus delivery times) and if more sympathetic colours were available.

As it is, however, it doesn't, to me, seem to offer value. Against, eg, the Motorolas (G, E), the Ace 4, the Desires of various sorts, the Ascends, the Sony Experia 3, it probably is better, but is it twice-the-price better? I can't convince myself that it is, and while the phones that I listed aren't perfect, for me, one of those will have to do.

Just to take a simple example, a Moto G (with 4g/LTE, while we are there) with an SD card slot (Moto seems to have made their designations sufficiently confusing that I can't work out which do and which don't) and a better camera would be fine; user replaceable battery would add icing, and a bit of a bump of ram wouldn't go amiss. But add all of that, and you wouldn't add that much to the cost, but where are the phones that are that small step up? It seems to me - and to the product pricing experts at the 'phone manufacturers, seemingly - it is a big step up, or nothing.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like