back to article Trial of alleged Silk Road kingpin set to begin

The trial of alleged former drugs baron Ross Ulbricht over charges relating to defunct illicit goods site Silk Road is to begin tomorrow. Ulbricht will appear before a New York court tomorrow accused of seven separate crimes, including narcotics trafficking, running a continuing criminal enterprise, conspiracy to aid and abet …

1. ZSn

Long time no see?

Now I write as a complete novice to the legal area, but does it always take a year to get to a trial? Is this just the US system or is it always true? *If* this gentlemen is innocent doesn't that mean that he spends a few years in prison for something that he didn't do?

1. Cliff

Re: Long time no see?

Happens all the time - it takes a long time to get the case watertight and book a court - that doesn't happen within the 24h/whatever of custody after arrest

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Longer....

Writing from experience

I was held on remand in the UK for 18 months before I was even near trial let alone the sentencing date afterwards

Although if found guilty 99% of the time remand time is taken off the final judgement

Annonymous because me boss reads the comments

1. ZSn

Re: Longer....

While that may work if the person involved is indeed guilty, if they are not this is grossly unfair. Unless you are in Japan where the conviction rate is about 99% (yes, really) the rest of the world will mean that a lot of innocent people will spend time behind bars even if they are found innocent.

1. DavCrav

If the conviction rate is 99% then either a lot of innocent people will spend time behind bars when they are found guilty, or a lot of guilty people don't spend time behind bars. 99% ain't gonna happen.

1. Thecowking

For Japan it's confessions by innocents.

Not under duress, per se, but more because it's rude to say no to the police (to reduce a cultural bias so deep it's nearly genetic to a trite comment).

1. FrankAlphaXII

>>Not under duress, per se

Bullshit.

The way the Japanese cops extract confessions would be considered "torture" to Europeans, oh but wait, its not the US doing it so its okay. They get a pass.

They use sleep deprivation, food deprivation, loud noises, threats of physical violence, mock executions, whatever else they can short of actually touching you to extract a confession and they can hold you for up to 23 days while they're doing it. With no access to an attorney on top of it until you've confessed and you get indicted.

2. Crazy Operations Guy

RE: Japan

I imagine that that 99% conviction rate is for the crime of "Not fully cooperating with the Yakuza". The 1% non-conviction rate is probably due to bribes that weren't paid in full until after arraignment.

3. Version 1.0 Silver badge

This is going to be fun!

So maybe we'll get the details on exactly how they tracked him and the legalities of hacking servers in foreign countries. I wonder who will be testifying for the NSA and ...

Oh wait, there's a knock at the door, I'll be back in a se3245$^FFY%#@ NO CARRIER

4. FrankAlphaXII

He's lucky its the Feds....

Most US States would slap him with an aggravation, continuing criminal enterprise charge, and a requirement for consecutive mandatory minimums for each individual charge if he was to be found guilty. He'd be facing maybe 150 years in Florida, and in all likelihood life for the six charges of hiring a hitman.

Personally I find that 20 years is bullshit, prohibition simply doesn't work, but its a damn sight better than 150 years (or more).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like