back to article Facebook? More like FOGEYBOOK: Zuck's hangout is a cyber-retirement home

Facebook appears to be facing a mild mid-life crisis that's leaving the social networking site out of sorts with youngsters. A study from Pew Research found that the free-content ad network saw little change in its overall usage from 2013 to 2014 and that the only notable growth the site experienced on the year was among those …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm doing my part

I've withdrawn from all of them and the 16yo in the house only uses it to talk to her aunt. The 18yo uses it to find recreational pharmaceuticals.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

Is this Peak Facebook?

Well no, I expect the Hydra will forsee the fall of its main head and sprout innumerable others.

1. as2003

Re: Is this Peak Facebook?

sprout buy

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm on Facebook, but only because that's where everyone is

The problem for Facebook is more that social networking itself is getting a bit old. It was new and cool for a while, especially back in the heady Myspace days before spammers found it. The novelty wears off after a while and most people aren't terribly active actually posting even if they still check it fairly regularly. Unfortunately for Facebook, Zuck's dream of making it into a platform died when smartphones became popular. Nobody cares about developing apps/games for Facebook any more, and no one is wanting to shop via Facebook. They do that via their phones.

I own a business that does some posts through Facebook but the payment required to get the same 'reach' of posts keeps going up, to the point where I'm about done with using Facebook in this way. I suspect a lot of other small business owners feel the same. With no more subscriber growth, fewer apps/games, future revenue declines likely as us business owners abandon it I suspect their revenue growth is already tailing off and the revenue will actually decline in another year or two. Look for the stock price to crater when that happens.

4. Grade%

I'm on BBM!!

*sigh* :/

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Content-free ad network

Fixed that for you

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Content-free ad network

Wrong. There is content but most of it is inane drivel or rantings of the insane.

Perhaps

Quality Free Ad Network is more apt?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Content-free ad network

"Quality Free Ad Network is more apt?"

Did you mean

Quality-Free Ad Network

or

Quality Free-Ad Network

Details, details.

6. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

An opportunity

For el'reg comments section to become the hip and trendy social media venue ?

ps. How does one post selfies here ?

1. Katie Saucey
      Happy

Re: An opportunity: How does one post selfies here ?

Somewhat like this maybe?

.-.

(/^\) -Hi! look at me!

(\ /)

.-'-.

/(_I_)\

\\) (//

/ \

\ | /

\|/

/|\

\|/

/Y\

Gave it my best shot.

7. channel extended
    Black Helicopters

Facebook, What's that?

Not now, and never have done facebook. Either I'm to old, to young, or to smart to have been captured by marketers. My friends and I prefer to keep in touch by exchanging encrypted emails, fake torrents, and use short wave radio. This helps keep our ranking on the NSA watch list, and makes them keep thier own records rather than simply allowing facebook to spy on us.

PS: I use the heavy duty tinfoil ;)

1. Van

Re: Facebook, What's that?

You might have learnt to spell had you spent time on Facebook though.

8. DaiKiwi

Addicted? Yeah right.

"49 per cent of its users are borderline addicts, accessing Instagram one or more times every day"

If I check my letterbox once a day does that make me a 'borderline addict' for mail? That is a stupid mis- or re-definition of the term 'addict' by the researchers.

9. Mick Russom

Facebook is the premiere collection for stupid thoghts

I have relatives that are relatively intelligent and they say nothing but stupid things on face book and re-parrot stupid talking points. Its the ultimate followers - sheeple paradise.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like